3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Starter fletching jig  (Read 385 times)

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
Starter fletching jig
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
I'm considering getting myself a fletching jig to allow myself to be able to tinker more with tuning and not have to make a ton of trips to the shop to get arrows refletched.  Looks like Bitzenburger is pretty much the cream of the crop, but it's out of my price range right now.  What would be a good option that would allow me to really learn the process and do decent work with?

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starter fletching jig
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
I started out with a Jo Jann Multi Fletch about 25 years ago.  Still have it and that is all I have ever used.  I really like fletching 6 arrows at once.

I don't remember what it cost back them but I know I have gotten my money's worth.  I'm sure it will still be fletching arrows long after I am gone.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Bohning makes a good jig for around $25

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Save your pennies and get the bitz, never regretted spending the extra money and I am considered a bit of a miser.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Earl Jeff:
Bohning makes a good jig for around $25
Ive been using mine for 3 years now and have fletched hundreds of arrows and its works fine for me.  I also use fletch tape so no need for a multi unit jig.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
I use a JO-jan, single, can do a dozen arrows ina hour with fletch tape.
samuel koger

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
I got started with a good deal on a Arizona E-Z fletch; after difficulties got a used Bitz at an auction site.  Would have been money ahead to get the Bitz new in the first place without counting the redoing of fletching which usually destroys the feathers.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
the bohning works just fine and is all you'll need and will also do a 4-fletch pattern.  i have 3 of them, each set up for different fletch patterns.

i'd also highly recommend using the bohning fletch tape, it's too easy to use, super fast fletching, and yer fletches will *not* come off, even on those arrows you'll find burrowed under the turf a year later.  :D

stay away from the arizona fletcher - too limiting and too finicky.   "[dntthnk]"
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
I have a Jo-Jan single & six arrow (which I'm probably going to put on the Classifieds one of these days), but the fletcher I use 90% of the time is my Arizona EZ Fletch.

I'll disagree with Rob D on this one.  IMO, the Jo Jan is much more a PITA to work with than the EZ.  Not only is the EZ easier, it's virtually idiot proof. Put a feather/vane in each arm, apply glue, and close it up.  No sweat. With the Jo-Jan YOU have to position the feather/vane identically in the clamp for each one. If you are off in the slightest, you've screwed up that arrow.  I also find fletching helical to be much more problematic with the Jo Jan, where it's automatic with the EZ.  

Not sure what Rob means by "limiting". Both will do carbon or alums, feathers & vanes. Both require specific arms/clamp to fletch straight or helical. You can do offset with a straight clamp on a Jo-Jan, where with the EZ you need the offset arms.  Makes no difference, as I only fletch helical, anyway.

In fact, I've found the only fletching the Jo Jan does better than the EZ is when using fletching tape rather than glue.  No two ways around it, the EZ is designed to glue the fletching on, not tape it.

In fact, I've been fletching carbons & alums with feathers & vanes with my EZ all weekend, and have to go downstairs & take one out now...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
the problem i have with the ez is that it only does a 3-fletch and you can't get different clamps.  it's a wysiwyg fletching tool, and it will not fletch shafts with diameters greater than 5/16" (so no 11/32" or 23/64" woodies).  to do any kinda fletch offset (no helical) you need to buy one of two other models of the ez.  that's the limiting part of spending $48 as opposed to spending $27 on a bohning that'll work with any shaft diameter, and fletch pattern and any offset.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Well, you have me there.  I've never fletched a 4 feather, likewise never a wood arrow, and have no reason to think I'll ever do either...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Why mess with a "starter" jig?
Go ahead and invest in a top quality jig like the Bitz, or Bear Paw.  You  won't be sorry.
Price is a little more, may need to save for another week or so, but they will last for ever.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by NDTerminator:
Well, you have me there.  I've never fletched a 4 feather, likewise never a wood arrow, and have no reason to think I'll ever do either...
no questioning that the ez works.  just limiting in what it can do - maybe not at all or without spending more dollars.

Originally posted by Pepper:
Why mess with a "starter" jig?
Go ahead and invest in a top quality jig like the Bitz, or Bear Paw. You won't be sorry.
Price is a little more, may need to save for another week or so, but they will last for ever.
i've had more bitz jigs than i can count on one hand.  it's a good fletcher indeed.  

i've had many many other fletchers over that last 55 years i've been fletching arrows.  

a bohning, martin j8, bpe pro, or any one of the rest of the polypro plastic jigs are just fine, will accurately fletch any shaft, and at a third or less of the cost of a bitz.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
My "starter" jig was a Bitz - funny never out grew it.  H

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
They all will work and probably last you a life time. So get what you want the first time and avoid having several different ones laying around.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Ya  CANT  Go Wrong With A  BITZ!!  If Ya Dont Like It, You Can Always Get  OUT  of it what ya Got  IN  it!!   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Buy a "starter jig" now and buy a Bitz later. WHY? spend a little more now and be done with it..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Go with the new BearPaw jig with a flip of a switch you can go from 3 to 4 to 6 fletch , about $50.00
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline rp65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
I bought a used RW Jo-Jan for $25.00 and it works fine for me, just got a straight clamp for it a month ago to do my kids arrows and I'm sure it will serve me fine. Made out of metal and should last a life time. I only do a few dozen a year. I'm happy with it.

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
Love my Jo Jan multi-fletch for woodies. Have not had exp. w/ sm. dia. carbons-- been shooting wood for 40 yrs., so not ever going to be an issue w/me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©