3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve vs Longbow  (Read 458 times)

Offline Chief-Many-Misses

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve vs Longbow
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
What is better for hunting? A longbow or a recurve?

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve vs Longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Whichever one you can hit with.  As far as hunting goes, there isn't enough difference between the two to talk about.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Personal prefrence is the rule on this one. We are generally seekers of uniqueness.

However, I love my Robertson Vision Falcon recurve, but am trying to find a longbow I like.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
longbows (now that is something we have to re-think cause they are getting pretty short now - tee hee) are lighter and I would say quieter although there are getting to be less differences unless you start looking at the older models.

With the new reflex deflex in the limbs of the longbows their efficiency is really improving. In the past the longbow was LONGER and alot slower.

Recently they are getting vary similar in looks and performance. I still like the longbow but darn it with the new PCHX I am torn and it looks like I will have and ACS and a PCHX at home soon.

Try them and see for yourself but unless you are going with a onepiece they really are getting similar IMO

Jer Bear

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Twice now I have shot game lying on my belly with one of my longbows.  I have trouble shooting my recurves that way, alway seem to hit my bottom limb.  I hunt with both like this year where I was able to shoot deer with both one of my longbows and one of my recurves.  This lying down type of hunting is the only advantige I have found one over the other.  Outside of that I agree with Jeff if you can shoot it well, HUNT with it.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
Currently longbows are the rule at our house, but we are open to change if we were find a recurve we liked better one day.
These days it is purely a preference thing.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
It's a personal preference with me,I started out shooting longbows and prefer them.I have never really cared for a recurve type grip,I like a straight,dish or mild locator.Which is best for hunting,which one do you the and shoot the best,that would be the one.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
I like longbows myself, but either one will work for hunting. Longbows are easier to quiet than recurves, but recurves can be quieted down too with a bit of work. Longbows are generally lighter in weight. My Kanatis are short, light, quiet, and fast...perfect. My Kota is longer, but still light, quiet and fairly fast. It has the advantage of being a takedown...great for travel.

My Badger is still fairly short at 58" or 60" depending on the limbs. It takes down for travel and is smooth and fast. It also shoots really well and I have it pretty quiet, not quite as quiet as a longbow, but close. It has a lot more mass. Some guys like that, but I am more used to the light weight of the longbow.

As has been said it is personal preference, but as you may have noticed, I have both    :D
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
IMO you should use the bow that you are the better shot with.  Do you shoot a recurve better than a longbow? Or do you shoot a longbow better?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
This question comes up every month at least.

You have to decide for yourself what you want to shoot...and/or carry.

I like my recuves for treestands and blinds.....but I like my longbows when I'm roving on the ground. Spending a lot of time walking and stalking the longbow is much more of a pleasure in the hand.

Try and get to a shoot and see what you like.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Currently longbows are the rule at our house, but we are open to change if we were find a recurve we liked better one day.
These days it is purely a preference thing.
Try the Black Widow PSR III recurve... It has a longbow handle, but recurve limbs... for some reason, the thing shoots like butter, very accurate butter , but feels quasi longbow like... funny thing is, I have never shot longbows too well, and this hybrid is amazing??
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
This is a real good source as well....

CLICK HERE
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Started out hunting with a recurve but made the switch in December. Never went back. I love the lighter weight of the longbow. They are great for spot and stalk, are very quiet, and are easy to shoot with ridiculous cants.

I can't hike with mine all day and not have any arm fatigue at the end from lugging it around.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
There are recurves out there as light as any longbow, so weight isn't a consideration unless you opt for three piece recurves or big risers.
Nearly all 50's design recurves like the Ghost, Kohanna Kurve, and lots more have small risers and are very light weight.  I like a little mass weight in the riser for all around accuracy and shootability.

There is no difference other than the feel, and ones personal bias. 8^).  I love both, shoot both, and will tell you neither is better than the other in the field.  That is all between the ears.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
I'll bet you can get as many longbow votes as recurve votes. Literally differnet strokes for different folks.
Myself,I like the looks and light weight of a longbow beter.  For whatever reason, I can't shoot a longbow as well as a recurve, regardless of the grip.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
I have both, and have been succesful with both.
I would probably lean toward my longbow for all around, but my recurve sees service as well.
Your syle, and prefrence is what tells the tale.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
The difference is really just in the grip.

Offline Zipperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
If I'm hunting it's a confidence thing.  I shoot my recurves better.

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
I have both as well--for me it is the low mass weight of my longbows that I like best--I think i'm getting lazier as I get older and carrying something that weighs on the order of ounces just feels better--I do have a 1955 dual shelf Kodiak recurve that is  just as light as my longbows that is a joy to carry also...
rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
I kinda like the offspring of both...commonly called a hybrid.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©