3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF Riser center cut for Cushion Plunger?  (Read 138 times)

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF Riser center cut for Cushion Plunger?
« on: February 08, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
Here's a question for the ILF guys...

I'm leaning real hard towards getting an ILF bow.  The idea of a bow with the tunability of an ILF and universal limbs available from a number of sources appeals greatly to me.

It's my intention to use a cushion plunger for max tunability.  The issue is that none of the alum risers that asppear to be universally drilled for a plunger hit my switch (asthetically and monetarily, they are all seem to be extremely costly compared to wood) and I've yet to see a wood riser with a plunger insert installed.

Drilling & putting one in myself is not a major issue, but as we all know, center cut on wood risers varies greatly from one maker to the next.

So the question is how far past center (an assumption here, but it doesn't make much sense to me from an adjustability standpoint to use a plunger on a riser cut 0/+ centershot) is optimum for use with a plunger and stick on rest, specifically my old pal the T-300?

My gut tells me -3/16" to -1/4".  Opinions based on actual use of or experience building ILF bows
with plungers, please...

Thanks
NDT
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF Riser center cut for Cushion Plunger?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
More is better because it gives you more room for different arrow diameters.One of the reasons I prefer metal is being able to get the extra room.I would not fool with a riser only cut to center as far as a plunger or adjustable rest is concerned myself.That rules out every wood riser I have seen.I think the guys building the wood risers are all marketing shelf shooters.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Yep what Jim said.  When dealing with materials that are not as strong as alloys, you have to have some mass in the weak points to prevent eating the riser.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, I had a sneaking suspicion this might be the case...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©