3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie- further longbow advice needed  (Read 178 times)

Offline hogwild69

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie- further longbow advice needed
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
I need more specific advice. Based on previous advice here; and being a complete newb, I've decided on a longbow, 40lb draw weight, 66-70 length. Can you guys recommend some specific long bows in the $250 and less range? I've spotted some on Lancaster archery page and yeoldearcheryshoppe page. There are still too many choices to select from. Seen Samick, OMP, etc...

Still don't want to tie up too much money during the learning curve. Thanks again, Greg

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Newbie- further longbow advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
the caveat is that it's always best to try b4 you buy or you will be gambling your purchase dollars.

when you say a '40 pound draw weight' is that at your draw length?  big consideration!

another factor to consider is the longbow design - there'll be a very recognizable performance difference between reflex limb (hill style), mild r/d (mohawk, horne, etc.) and aggressive r/d (too many to mention).

the best value will be in a used bow.  most of the cheap offshore longbows will work just fine, but with optimum performance in mind, look more towards the aggressive r/d models.

pm me if you need more assistance.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Maddog archery and SiegeWork Creations both have NEW bows in that price range. They both have had good reviews
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Bama Bows (www.bamabows.com) also makes a great traditional style longbow if you are not interested in reflex deflex bows. I love mine and a Bama Hunter is $279 new. Sometimes cheaper if he is running a sale. A Maddog is also a great bow.

I would shoot both types of longbows before you decide to buy. A Bear Montana is a cheaper reflex deflex that you can usually find at any archery shop to try.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline hogwild69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
What Zradix said!!!!
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I've heard some good things about this longbow -

Black Forest longbow from Kustom King. It is made by Bear Paw out of Germany. Many say it is probably the best shooting/higher performance longbow for the money. $280 and some change.

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
george stout just did a post on the black forest longbow over at kustom king,and from what he stated it seems to be a real good bow in your price range.
Richard Battistoni

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©