3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone shoot barefingers????  (Read 1006 times)

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone shoot barefingers????
« on: April 19, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
Just wondering if anyone shoots bare fingers? I need some ideas on wrapping my string serving with something to make it a little more comfortable. I shoot a 50# longbow and three fingers under. Gloves and tabs just don't work for me.Thanks for all the advice.
David Janssen

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone shoot barefingers????
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
David
I do on occasion when I am hunting. It only takes a short while to get the fingers used to it.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
I do, most of the time. Just love not haveing to remember a glove or tab. Takes a while for your fingers to callus up though...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Have you tried the No-Glove finger savers? I have used them before and they work well for me.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=1&s=53&p=0&i=5402
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
I've shot bare fingers for a few years now. I love it, and in my opinion my release has become quieter and my shot is more accurate. I landscape and roll boulders or spend quality time with a shovel so i have plenty of callouses.  :biglaugh:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
When I`m hunting I don`t use a tab or glove. For lengthy shooting I sometimes use a tab or wrap my third finger with a few wraps of medical tape.

I have a callous on my third finger that I can drive nails with. Sometimes this will split and when it does it really hurts and can take a while to heal.

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
i used to use the no-glovs and they REALLY slow down your string. but if your gonna use them i reccomend thea you put a nock above and below your arrow nock, that keeps the no-glovs from interferring with your arrow, because they will crep up the string towards the arrow. this way you can pull them back and keep on shooting. on a bowfishing bow i wouldnt use anything but them, but on a hunting bow, they just slow the string down too much....
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Hey Guys,

If you've watched the video "Masters of the Barebow"  you'll see Roger Rothhaar shooting barehanded.  He says he triple serves his bow string around the nocking point, and has no difficulties!!  You might want to give it a try.

Lobo in West Virginia
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
yea i shoot bear fingers no problem. dont need any thing on string. if you get blisters on your fingers just piss on them it makes them harden up.  :wavey:  no crap it is true. good luck with it
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
now thats my kind of hunting buddy all man and no bs
Please god let me live just more day in the woods.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by HO'NEHE JEFF:
 if you get blisters on your fingers just piss on them it makes them harden up.   :wavey:   no crap it is true. good luck with it
Could that be why my legs are so stiff?    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline traditional_archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
roflol Knife, I do shoot bare fingers on occassion.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
I usually shoot a couple of shots with no tab, per day; and when I hunt I won't be lost if I forget my tab or don't have it on.

Try a Black Widow tab. They make one model especially for three under. I got my wife on and she likes it a lot.

Funny, I was reading yesterday that urine can steralize a blade if you need emergency surgery, or you can drink it, if necessary. It's mostly water...  :bigsmyl:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Trad2DaBone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
I always hunt with a pair of thin cloth gloves, they help keep my hands warm, give a slick release and protect some as i draw till the broadhead touches my hand. Not exactly bare fingered but close and a tab is just too hard for me to keep track of. I practice this way as well. Thinking of tryin some work gloves if i can find something that feels right.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Online Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
Woody, my friend, You Ain't Right, LOL! You just caused me to spew all over my puter screen. When ya'll leaving for parts unknown?
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
How heavy of a bow are you  bere finger guys shooting?  I use a deerskin glove and have some pretty thick callouses on my shooting hand from shooting with it on.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
I have hunted and shot bare fingers - even if your used to shooting with gloves; you can get a perfect release without gloves- and hey- how many shots will you be taking per opprotunity? Try it once on a target- its fun.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
One more thing- Manitoba's climate does not lend itself very well to shooting bare fingers during the early november whitetail rut season (windchills well into the -40s by then)

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 04:30:00 AM »
I haven't tried it for regular shooting but on my fishing bow I put some tubing on my string where my fingers pull and it works good. I used the tubing that is used for a peep sight on a wheelie bow and it stays in place good and doesn't weigh much. Yoy might give that a try.
Denny

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 05:41:00 AM »
I have heard that with heavier bows it is almost a must to use something to prevent possible nerve damage in the hand. It sure does give a clean release and more control with a lighter bow. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©