3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: magnus broadheads  (Read 315 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
magnus broadheads
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Who shoots the mag1s. What is yor oppion on them???
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: magnus broadheads
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I shoot those on my wooden arrows and steel force sabertooths on my xx75's. Magnus top performer and they flight right. When I shoot shoot it's what I use
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Last year I used 125 gr magnus 2 blades and aluminum arrows.  Weight was 510 gr I believe.  Bow was 51@ 28".  I shot at and killed two does.  One shot was a pass through at 12 yards and the other was a partial pass through at 30 yards.  The broadhead was sticking out about 10" on the other side.

This year I used a Magnus 1 with carbons. Total arrow weight was 520 something.  Bow was 51 @ 28".

First week of the season I shot and lost 2 bucks.  1st was about 12 yards and arrow penetrated about 10" I 'm guessing.  It was not a good shot however.  I hit him high in the backstrap area.  I could see the broadhead sticking out about 6" on the other side. I would have to throw that one out as shooter error.

Two days later I shot another buck.  Quartering away and again about 12 yards.  Arrow hit exactly where I wanted it to hit.  It looked like it went in about 6" if that far and stopped.  After the hit the arrow flopped over and was hanging down on the buck's side.

After that I went back to my original set up.  I shot a button buck about a month ago.  Arrow was a pass through again.

I don't know why I had such bad performance with the Magnus 1.  Exspecially on that 2nd buck.  The hit was about as close to perfect as I could imagine.  The head was razor sharp.  Popping hairs on my arm easily.  just didn't work for me so I am sticking with what I know works for me.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
I like them and it is all my oldest son will shoot the one thing i did notice, because large non vented you have to watch arrow spine to get good flight.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
They're a great broadhead! They have a great cutting diameter, and also the penetration of a 2-blade...
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Pac, this is just a SWAG, but I'd bet your carbons aren't flying as straight as the aluminums.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
I shoot the Magnus 1's I glue them on an insert and shoot them off a goldtip 5575. They fly great, sharpen up good, and shoot through deer. The longest blood trail I had with them this year was 50-60 yards. I killed 4 with them.LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:
Pac, this is just a SWAG, but I'd bet your carbons aren't flying as straight as the aluminums.
Beats me.  I shot each one to make sure they were flying straight before hunting season.  I bare shafted with the same weight field point as well.  I sure wanted that big 'ol head to work for me.  

I haven't tried them on aluminums though.  Might make a difference but I don't want to loose another deer to find out.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
Very easy to sharpen, I have never had one damaged and fly like a field point.

Offline Zipperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
Love them.I shoot Beaman 400"s with Magnus 2's and get perfect arrow flight.  So far I've killed 2 deer 1 javolina and 1 ram with the same broadhead. Got it sharpened and ready to go again.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
It's not the broadhead Pac, something else is amiss.  Anyway, you probably hit the offside shoulder or upper leg.  If you hit right where you looked and got even 6 inches of penetration you had to get into the lungs friend.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
On my wood arrows I use 125 grain Magnus II glue-ons. On my aluminum arrows I use 150 grain two blade Magnus Stingers. I like both.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Whatever was amiss be it shaft, tuning or broadhead I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I think about that 2nd shot a lot.  I was in a treestand and wonder if the arrow actually went farther than what I saw.  Maybe hitting the offside leg bone and bouncing back along the wound channel faster than the eye could follow?

I do know there was only one hole and the bloodtrail was pathetic.  I don't blame that on the head, I blame that on 1 hole in the upper portion of the deer's ribs.

Opinions were asked and I gave mine.  Not a broadhead I would use again.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
RC should chime in here at some point, he likes them a lot...

I used them the year before last and had excellent results!  4 shots, 4 hits and three very quick recoveries (two shots were on the same doe, spine and a follow up through the lungs).  Total length of recovery on all three animals was 105 yards total.  

Double lung 20 yard shot on an 11 point buck, with the arrow sticking in the ground... 60 yard recovery.  12 yard shot on a doe that hit her in the spine, and a 15 yard second shot through the lungs, both arrows sticking in the ground...  0 yard recovery.  And another doe shot at 28 yards, double lung and top of the heart, 40 yard recovery... broadhead passed through but the arrow stayed in the deer.

They fly great, sharpen easily with an Accusharp, and hold up well.  I've bent a few tips over but they had already done what they needed to do by the time they bent...  If so inclined I could send them back to Magnus and get them replaced, but they did everything I asked of them so I haven't thought much about getting them replaced.  Kinda figure they are easily replaced...

"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Ilike the 2-blade vented they fly great!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
I shot a nice buck 2 seasons ago and the shot was right where i was looking. When he ran off the arrow was flopping on his side and looked like it only went in a few inches. I waited 1 1/2 hours and took up the trail. The blood was fair at first then we found the arrow the blood trail was great. When we found him 30 yards farther I had hit him in the heart. After inspecting the inside of his rib cage the broadhead had hit the off side shoulder and came back out. LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
"When he ran off the arrow was flopping on his side and looked like it only went in a few inches."

LCH that sounds just like what I saw on my 2nd deer.  

"After inspecting the inside of his rib cage the broadhead had hit the off side shoulder and came back out."

I really think it was the same senerio.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline mallard_drake85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
I shoot magnus broadheads as well and though i absolutely love the penetration and performance of 2 blade broadheads, the magnus 2 blades (at least the ones im using) can only be use once as after contact with an animal, the point is bent to one side or the other. I've taken many animals with my mangus broadheads, but am going to switch to something more durable. They fly great, hit hard, and  penetrate deep, but only are good for one deer before needing replaced.

just my 3 cents
mallard_drake85
Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed!!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
I have been using the Magnus I's for years. One of my favorite heads. I've killed black bears, mountain lion, caribou, hogs, javelina, and a number of deer with them. I have never bent one or damaged one in any way. I have used the same one to take 3 deer and a hog. With a cedar arrow, no less. They are tough and sharpen easily. I would highly recommend them
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©