3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Keeping a bow strung??  (Read 520 times)

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
Keeping a bow strung??
« on: February 08, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I just got my "new to me" Toelke 3pc takedown! Talk about one beautiful bow!! Anyhow, I've always unstrung my longbow( this is my first recurve), just because I like to unstress them. Sorta give them a rest. I realize that this probably isn't necessary but I've always done it, even for an night at camp. Now this recurve needs a bow stringer and it's a little more trouble stringing and unstringing. Can I just leave it strung w/o hurting it? I mean leave it strung all the time?? I would like to but need some reassurance from some "old guys with experience", not some kid who "thinks" he knows.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Keeping a bow strung??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I'd ask the bowyer for their opinion, but mine is it's fine to leave a laminated bow strung.  I've been shooting the same one for around 15 years, and it's spent more time strung than unstrung.  My bowfishing bow, which doesn't get shot much other than when I'm bowfishing (short season), stays strung most of the time also.

The only reason I would unstring them is if I had them stored where kids could get to them, if I was afraid of a mouse or pet chewing the string into, for travelling (if I have to), or if it's a selfbow.

FWIW, I just scaled my bow (the one I've been shooting for 15 years).  It's marked 60@28, it scaled 59.5@28.  There could easily be .5# difference in my scale and the bowyer's.  It's been strung since I got back from NM in September.

Chad

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
If I'm shooting a recurve, I leave it strung. Longbows I unstring. I've seen no change in bows left strung for long periods of time.

Offline Hogcoots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I am one of those newbies that you may want to take with a grain of salt.  However, I have asked the same question strung vs. unstrung to the bowyer that made my recurve and he said that the potential for damage is greater during the stringing and unstringing process than leaving it strung all the time.  He said that he recommends leaving it strung unless you need to unstring it for transportation or installing silencers, new string, etc.  I second the ask the bowyer response.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Interesting Post, What about limb twist ? I too am curious in this discussion.
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
If you store the bow properly, leaving it strung will not cause a limb twist.  Stored improperly, you can twist a limb strung or unstrung.

As Hogcoots noted, you are much more apt to twist a limb during stringing or unstringing than any other time--with a recurve at least.  I've never seen a longbow get a twisted limb by stringing or unstringing.

Chad

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
What would be the correct way to store a recurve?  (sorry, I'm a newb)  I only ask because right now mine's resting on top of my book shelf.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Thanks all, I guess I'll leave it strung..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Zipperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
That was a great question.  I've always wondered that myself.  I used to unstring my bows, but not anymore.  Thanks for the helpful info.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Store it lying flat on it's side, or I have mine resting on two pegs with the weight of the bow at each end of the riser.  

NEVER just stand it in a corner, or leave it in a car or garage where extreme heat can build up.

Chad

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make doubly sure I wasn't about to really screw something up.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
You'll get a lot of old guys with expereince on both sides of this issue.  So here's my two cents worth after shooting longbows and recurves for more than 50 years.  I unstring them.  Really isn't that much trouble.

Offline sleepingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I keep my recurves strung.  I use a fast flight string on my Widow recurve and hang it by the string on 2 pegs.  Never had a problem and the brace height stays about the same.  The biggest worry I have with a strung bow is extreme heat.

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Im a newby of 8 years.... if you call that a newby. I have a Martin super diablo that I left strung up for about a year with no issues. (still have it shoots great) I also had a Jeffery that I left strung alot for over 2 years that had no issues when I sold it last year. (it was my first bow) As a rule I dont leave my bows strung for more than a week or 2 at a time at the most. I do this when im tuning one in the house in the evenings.
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
if you do leave it strung, dont leave it in a car. Hot or cold outside cars can get hot quick and warp a limb.
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
I unstring mine, but that's just how I roll 8^).  I've been doing it for nearly all my life so it's routine by now.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I have 2 takedown recurves and a takedown longbow that i shoot most everyday and i leave all of them strung and have them laying in my recliner.

Its a lazy boy so they have a nice place to rest while there not being shot.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
I have bows that have been strung for years and only been unstrung to replace the string.

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Mine has been strung 99% of the time since 1987 hasn't lost any weight or hurt anything.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
I always keep mine strung with NO ill effects. Here's how mine are stored:

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©