3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: chronographing your setup  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: chronographing your setup
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
speed is important to me. Why would I shoot a 55 pound bow when I can tune a 50 pound setup to shoot as fast or faster than your 55 pound?  Nobody can honestly claim they can be more accurate with more draw weight.
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Online Doc Pain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Now archers, once we enter into the equation the weight of arrows and their speed then we get into the realm of kinetic energy.  Which by the way, our experts ideas are about as outdated as the body mass index is when refering to obesity.
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

Offline ibehiking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
My experience (admittedly limited) agrees with Cherokee Scout. I got a chronograph for Xmas and used it to test most of my bow with various arrow setups. with a 28# draw and about 9 gpp and finger release I saw speeds in the 170-185 fps range. My release, and my consistency in draw length made more impact than the specific bow. It was a fun learning experience, and increased my motivation to become very consistent with my draw and release.

Online Doc Pain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
James on laptop, I'm with you. I use the chrono to evaluate my equipment and setup to myself.  After all isn't that what truly matters.  Nothing pleases me more than seeing the dup on the screen fo my chrono as that means that I am consistant in what I am doing.  Still, I always get a chuckle when a friend comes over and starts talking about a bow from maker x or y and the speed of the bow and then watch their jaws drop when the numbers come up on the screen.
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
I have never shot a bow through a Chrono before I bought it.  IMHO it is much more valueable to get in front of a big target that you can't miss, close your eyes, and feel the bow you are shooting.  Shoot it several times, if you like what you feel, then step back to 20 yards and shoot it a while and see if it hits how you like.

There have been several bow that don't make it past the first draw. Eyes closed, draw, YUCK! back to the shelf to try another...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline fixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
I like the information you can get from the chrono. on changes you make on equipment to see how it affects the bows performance, brush buttons, silencers, tip protectors, fletching size and shape etc. Also shows the changes in your form and release loads of information not just speed. I still shoot the bows I want to  reguardless of speed, I like the information you can get from it's use. It is just a tool. Hitting the target is primary, how fast you miss the target is of no importance. IMHO    :thumbsup:

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
I have used a chrono off and on for a number of years, and yes, when I first got it I was amazed at how slow my arrows were traveling.  I do agree with those who use it as a tool for checking set-ups, checking consistency of release, etc.  I long ago figured out that my 27" draw length and 12 gpp arrows were not about speed. One thing that I found to be a revelation back then, though, was that a lighter bow that allowed full draw was as fast or faster than one with 5 lbs more draw weight, even with the same weight arrow.  I found that I was much better off shooting a bow that I could comfortably get to full draw than one that I struggled with and short drew most of the time. Most of my bows (52-55 lb) shoot a 650 grain arrow around 150 fps. and that works for me - very stable and I'm used to the trajectory.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Question. How accurate is one chronograph to another? I have only had two experiences with them.  The one time, with someone else shooting my bow and my arrow, they scare me a bit since I hit one the first time I tried years ago it gave crazy high speeds,202, with my 42 lb. target BW, and more recently with my 64lb. @ 26" Schulz Legend bamboo fiberglass even higher numbers, not sure I believe the number, with a cedar arrow 27" bop with 5.5" feathers and 160 grain field tip.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
The light conditions seem to effect how they read. I  am not sure of this but I have seen evidence that if you shoot lower in the "V" the speeds seem higher. If you shoot too low, you can hit and destroy the machine! I try to shoot in the middle of the "V" to be consistent and safe.
You do get a whacky reading from time to time. I have seen a chrono read 350 or so from a trad bow.It was obviously some type of error in reading.
John

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
They are closer than most peoples release. :)  

You have to have correct lighting for best results.If you shoot near the edges of the screens the numbers can be off.It is a simple matter to shoot the middle and throw out any numbers you know are way off base.Some feild points do not read well so blunts will give the most realiable results.If you get erratic numbers you know it is the lighting that is the cause so move the crony if outside or make sure of your overhead light if inside.They are pretty idiot proof if you just get the lights right. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I did a search to read what others have written about chronographs. I was thinking I might like to play with one.

I learned about 30 years ago, when I didn't have enough money to develop an alcohol problem, that I probably have a tendancy towards addicition, so I stopped all drinking way  back then. (2 beers and I had a buzz so you know I was a very undeveloped drinker!).  

Knowing that about myself I fear if I chronoed my most beloved bows and found out they were too slow (whatever that is) I might not like the bow anymore.  All my bows "feel" fast and they shoot good when I focus on follow-through. Guess I'll leave it at that.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I have chrono'd(I own one) my bow and I am pleased with it's results with the use of a heavy arrow and a short draw length. My results are in my signature below.    :)      :thumbsup:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I have used a chrono several times and was surprised both ways. I had one bow that was about 10 fps slower than I thought it was shooting. I have had others that were 5-10 fps faster than I thought the bow was shooting. I had a friend who was shooting with me one day. He said he ran his through the chrono before I got there. And it  was slower than I told him my bow was shooting. We have the same bow he ordered one after I let him shoot mine. I shot his bow and mine thru the chrono with my arrows and my bow was about 4 fps faster. But my bow is almost 3#'s heavier on the scale. Anyway chrono's don't always tell the story I shot his bow about 5-7 fps faster than he did. Not sure if his release was a little off or he was short drawing the bow. If it hits where you want it don't worry about it. The slow bow that I have is a great shooter and quiet.
USMC 82-86

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I use my chrono as part of my form check. A chrono is a good tool to use if you want to know how consistent your release is....the more consistent your speed the more consistent your anchor and release.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
I took my 3 recurves,and Big Jims Buffalo bow up to a busy modern archery shop one day to do a lil test and horified the herd of modern archers that were there .It was fun.I was surprized at how little difference in the speeds there were between a50#@28 ,a60#@28,and a65#@28 reurves with the same 600 grain arrow.Release was a factor ,but shot and shot and was consistant.I pull them all 29.25.Fun to play around with.I also use to shoot a league deal with some modern guy called"Technohunt",were you shoot animals on a screen.It was great fun and they let me, a trad guy in.The thing, after you shot would give you your arrow speed and score.Their speeds would be the same everytime and they would roar and watchers would too as mine would rally around all over the place.It was too funny.My 2 cents,Thanks.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I fear if I chronoed my most beloved bows and found out they were too slow (whatever that is) I might not like the bow anymore.  All my bows "feel" fast and they shoot good when I focus on follow-through. Guess I'll leave it at that.
Perfectly stated.

I would imagine that to a bowyer they are a very useful tool.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Chrono is a great tool for form, as Coaster said, and to optimize your own set up. If I can get better performance from the same bow and same arrow something is being accomplished-like a more dynamic release. Comparing your speed to someone else's speed is a  waste of time.  JMHO

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Here is the deal on fast shooters. If you build them you use a chrono as you proto a design. You set up a simple shooting machine with a release. I test with 10 gpp. Make changes (one at atime and see the effects on speed-shootability-stability etc.You settle somewhere in the middle on a design that gives the best speed and the other characteristics for good behavior.
Granted speed aint but if you can get it a good behavior thats a plus.
High on Archery.

Offline Carbon Jack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
I've always chrono checked my setups. Been doing this for 25 years or so. I find it interesting. I also think it is meaningless if you like your current setup but worry about slow arrow speed.

Any arrow over 120fps or so it fine for whitetail deer. That said, I would not own a bow that cannot reach at least 200fps with light carbon arrows. Luckily, they all do. Flat trajectory is intoxicating.

Jack

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
I own one...and I have used it for many things.

1. Comparing different bow designs
2. Comparing different arrow weights vs velocity
3. To work on form
4. To check variation in speed relative to brace height, and
4. To compare different string materials and strand count. I did a lot of testing with strings

I know there are several out there that claim they got an extra 5-10 fps by doing this or that...as as someone above mentioned, I like to pull out the chrono and say "I would like to see that." What happens next is they person usually says something like, "Well, I haven't actually chronographed it, but I can tell my arrow is faster and hits harder."

In my own testing dacron vs dynaflight, the dynaflight is 6-8 fps faster in most cases (some more or less, but not by much). And, my experience has also shown that going from a low stand count to "typical" strand size doesn't give anywhere near the change in speed many claim it to be despite it "hitting the target harder" as is often said. The chronograph takes the subjective non-sense out of claims for objective people that prefer to be more "scientific." KE and momentum both are both just physics...and both are directly dependent upon speed and mass.

That said, there is nothing wrong with speed IMO as long as the bow is still stable, durable, and quiet. That said, I certainly designed my bow to be as fast as I knew how to make it while also striving to maintain other highly desired characteristics. Speed is great, but it isn't the only thing that matters.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©