3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 7th Age hog and javelina hunt  (Read 530 times)

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
7th Age hog and javelina hunt
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 7th Age hog and javelina hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
You guys (and girls) are wrong for teasing us like that!  Looks like congratulations are in order!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Bring it on!!!!!!!!!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Nice bubbles on that arrow!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
I called up Curtis Kellar back in June to scheduale this hunt for my dad and I. It seemed like it would never get here at the time but before to long we were packed up and heading to west texas to hunt hogs and javie's. We got to camp around lunchtime on Sunday January 24th. Before long Curtis and a few other hunters got there and we all started setting up tents and such.
Curtis told my Dad and I that we were going to be hunting a big 6,000 acre section of the property called the Bull Pen. The first night nothing showed up for me but when my dad came to pick me up he informed that he had hit a nice hog but it was to high. He had already tracked him for over a mile before he came to get me and said that there was very little blood. We headed back to camp and told Curtis about the bad news. He said that the hog will probably be alright. The next morning we got up fairly early to head out to corn roads and do some scouting. Later on that day we headed back out to pick up that hogs trail. We tracked him another half mile and noticed that there was a coyote that had started trailing him also. We even found a couple spots where the hog backed up to a bush and had to fend of the coyote. We dept on tracking him for qiute a while longer before all of a sudden my dad said, "There he is, get an arrow on." I looked up and sure enough there he was staring right at us. By about the time I got an arrow on the hog took off the other way then fell right on his nose and at one point was standing vertically on his nose! I thought to myself that he must be hurting pretty bad but no, he got right back up and started running again. We watched him run for a couple hundred yards and he looked to be running alright. My dad went over to his bed and seen that there was no blood. Based on the way he was running and that there was no blood in his bed we figured he must not be hurt to bad. We figured the reason he tripped and fell was that he was stiff and sore from laying in that bed for awhile. That night was uneventful for both of us.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Talk about Lambin' it up!!

:biglaugh:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Been wondering when this would show up.

All I am saying is congratulation's

doug77

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
its not the uneventful things that we want to know. It is the eventful things. Now continue with the good part.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
We had one road that had been having a lot of new hog tracks on it each morning so thats where we decided to hunt Wednesday night. We decided that we were gonna stay until around 8, which is close to about as dark as it gets at night. It got to be 8 and we hadn't seen anything yet so we decided to pack up and head back to camp. We got out into the intersection of the road and my dad and I both simultaneously spotted a hog feeding on the corn we laid out, and he was coming our way. We slowly snuck back to where we had been previously and got ready. It took him an entire hour before he got to us. I was set up for a shot down a road in front of us, which my dad didn't know. The hog didn't go that way and instead turned around and headed back out into the intersection. My dad said take the shot. I shouldnt have shot cause of the position I was in but i tried it anyhow, I guess it was a good learning experience. My arrow passed right in front of the hog and skipped across the road making sparks the whole way. The hog ran off but I could hear a hissing noise. I whispered to my dad, "I hit one of those gas lines, I hit one of those gas lines!". He couldnt hear it but I knew that was what it was. We packed up and went to the truck and parked it right in front of the hose. There was my arrow dead center in that hose.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Man that has got to be to best looking arrow rap i have ever seen!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
We got back to camp and told Curtis what had happened. He told us it shouldnt be to big of a deal and he would call somebody in the morning. Of course everybody thought it was pretty funny, were kidding around saying that we were hog hunting not snake hunting. I didnt think it was to funny at the time but now when I think about I just laugh.
Heres some hero pictures of me and my anaconda.

The guys in camp told us that it was probably just a salt water line anyhow and not a gas line.

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Wednesday night Curtis really wanted me to go to the blind called "The Dump". He told me flat out that I was going to kill a javie that night. I quickly told him I'd love to. Curtis drove me out to the blind which is only a half mile from camp at the most. He gave me peanuts, candy canes, and a piece of carpet to lay on. He reminded me to let them get close and to try and stay calm during the shot. Heres some pictures of the blind.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Uh oh...The Dump!  Reed and I know where this is heading!  :archer:
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I had been smelling the javies off and on all night before eventually here came a group of three. One of them stopped right next to the side of the blind and was on 2 yards at the max away. He and the other two then went right out to the corn and started feeding. I slowly brought my bow up, picked a spot and let the arrow fly. He started making all kinds of noise and run off behind me then came back out in front of me again then headed back away from me before he went down. I eventually made my way back to camp and waited for somebody to show up so I could go get my javie. Doug Hansen(Doug77) and his daughter were the first to show up. They took me back to get my javie and take some pictures. We got back to camp and before long Curtis showed up. He was real happy when he seen the javie I got. He told me that this was the big dominate alpha male of that group of javie's. We went into the kitchen and ate some of Curtis's javie soup which was delicious while we waited for everone else to get back to camp. He told me that he took my dad to a really good spot and that he was probably gonna kill something that night too.
 Soon, my dad pulled into camp right up next to the meat pole. We all went to look into the back of his truck and sure enough there was a nice sow. Heres some more pictures.

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Oh ya, I was shooting my TallTines 57#'s at 28in. beman shafts with a 100 grain brass insert and 125 grain woodsman broadhead.

My Dad was shooting his custom made recurve by Bill Mitchell that was 60#'s at 28in. 2216easton legacy shafts with 125 grain woodsman broadhead.

Special thanks to Doug Hansen for helping me get my javie and to Curtis for putting us on them.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
All Right Garrett!  :thumbsup:    Make sure you bring some pics to the Banquet.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
This ended up being our last night cause a bad storm came through that night. We had a great trip, this was my first out of state hunt and I got my first big game traditional harvest. When we weren't hunting at night or corning in the morning we went out chasing quail and rabbits.

This is a hunt I will never forget. And the best thing about it is I'm only 15, I got a lot of years of hunting left in my life and many more memories to make. Its been about a year since I've started really taking off with trad gear. It consumes my every thought. I just love this.

I would especially like to thank my dad. He is the best hunting partner/ best friend that anybody could ask for. He is the one who started me off shooting when I was real little and taking me hunting with him and going to bow shoots. He is the reason I'm pursuing this way of life. I cant imagine my life without trad hunting. Theres nothing like dreaming for months about an upcoming hunt and then experiencing it. Thanks Dad, I love ya.

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Will do Rick, cant wait for the banquet.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
:clapper:  Good job!  Nice job honoring your father as well!
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Congrats on your javie  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©