3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best "D" shaped longbows?  (Read 865 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best "D" shaped longbows?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread because it opened the way for the different question posed by Rick James. (Paraphrase)"It depends on what you think makes one bow better than another?"

I would really be interested in reading the thoughts out there of the "why's" of placing one longbow over another.

I know for me the overall look is what draws me to pick one up and that's likely the least reason to be judging bow and its abilities.

So exactly what are those things that make a longbow "the best one"?

I know there are bows made by different folks that look alike but with subtle differences that make them uniquely a(whatever maker named) bow.

What I am asking is a really hard question if I try to quantify exactly what it is that makes "that bow" one I would add to my "keepers"

I have to confess that about all I've ever done has been trial and error purchases/trades. That's one of the main causes of the "regret" threads.

Anybody got any answers?

I'd sure love to read them. I'm sorry I didn't have any answers but this thread has at least started me to thinking.

Man! This could be dangerous!!!! Maybe it will be more fun if I don't figure it out and just keep shooting, trading, and/or buying bows just because I'd like to try "that one".

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
Thanks for starting this thread because it opened the way for the different question posed by Rick James. (Paraphrase)"It depends on what you think makes one bow better than another?"

ah, rick lends a voice of reason

I would really be interested in reading the thoughts out there of the "why's" of placing one longbow over another.

those 'whys' are purely subjective as the 'whys' of some won't be the same as the 'whys' of others.  it comes down to *personal preference*.  

I know for me the overall look is what draws me to pick one up and that's likely the least reason to be judging bow and its abilities.

So exactly what are those things that make a longbow "the best one"?

PERSONAL PREFERENCE

I know there are bows made by different folks that look alike but with subtle differences that make them uniquely a(whatever maker named) bow.

aside from the AESTHETIC LOOKS of design, materials and workmanship, the word is PERFORMANCE AS IT APPLIES TO YOU

What I am asking is a really hard question if I try to quantify exactly what it is that makes "that bow" one I would add to my "keepers"

NOT at all a hard question to answer from my viewpoint, put the following in the order that makes one feel most comfy ...

looks/aesthetic
build/feel
materials/workmanship
performance as perceived by the shooter
cost/delivery time

dat's it.  easy, eh?

I have to confess that about all I've ever done has been trial and error purchases/trades. That's one of the main causes of the "regret" threads.

Anybody got any answers?

yeah, try before you buy.  anything else will be a crap shoot of sorts.

I'd sure love to read them. I'm sorry I didn't have any answers but this thread has at least started me to thinking.

Man! This could be dangerous!!!! Maybe it will be more fun if I don't figure it out and just keep shooting, trading, and/or buying bows just because I'd like to try "that one".

the classifieds are full of bows that didn't live up to their current owners idea of the 'BEST' bow.  :D  

God bless,Mudd
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Like Rob says, it depends on what you mean by a "D" bow.  I picked up a Black Swan last weekend in a trade that meets my qualifications for a "D" bow.  Has maybe an inch of reflex unstrung.  It shoots as fast and almost as smoothly as a radical R/D.  I'm very impressed.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
Howard Hill Bows.  H

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks Rob.. I had those thoughts too but that seemed too simple and too logical to be true..lol I do appreciate your voice of reason.

Living in an area where there aren't any trad shops is a serious draw back to trying out a lot of bows although it might be cheaper to spend some gas money and travel to one than spend the money it takes just for shipping alone when trying one out.

Then again if I have one here I can shoot it several days in a row for a more in-depth trial.

There are trade-offs either way.

Thanks again Rob! I am as serious as a snake bite when I tell you that. I really do appreciate you!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Can't be of any help.  I only have "second best" bows which were other people's "best" bows when they bought them untried and usually sight unseen at other people's advice.   "[dntthnk]"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
Thanks Rob.. I had those thoughts too but that seemed too simple and too logical to be true..lol I do appreciate your voice of reason.

Living in an area where there aren't any trad shops is a serious draw back to trying out a lot of bows although it might be cheaper to spend some gas money and travel to one than spend the money it takes just for shipping alone when trying one out.

Then again if I have one here I can shoot it several days in a row for a more in-depth trial.

There are trade-offs either way.

Thanks again Rob! I am as serious as a snake bite when I tell you that. I really do appreciate you!

God bless,Mudd
for those folks who truly have little or no access for trying out bows, they should seek out sellers who will allow try outs or at least a grace period to return the bow unscathed and the potential buy pays the shipping both ways.  at least a few (maybe more) bowyers will send out a loaner.  most good sellers will offer a few dayze for a try out.  those are the folks you wanna deal with, imo.

tough row to hoe, but it is what it is.  

too many people these dayze are looking for the mcdonald's fast food way out of everything when they should be thinking of, or receiving info about, viable alternatives to just others opinions.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
I have a Kim-Sha, Northern Mist,Great Northern, Jerry Hill, Green Mt., Ron Foley, 2 Mahaskas, and a Bear Montana. I have a Apex Predator "Cumberland" bow blank comeing soon. All have the basic "D" shape, all shoot very well. Its a matter of grip style and what you like or need in a longbow. I guess I just need a bunch...lol!!!!! I'm Not that fussy because I also have a few R/D/Hybrid longbows as well. Best advise is to try all you can before you order or buy!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
I like my carbon/boo St. Joe!!!

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
These threads only create more questions.  There is no universal "best" of anything.  The more you post a brand name, the more confusion there is, because everyone has a different opinion.  Good for chewing over, but buying sight unseen, or on someone's opinion, is why the classified section is chocked so full of bows.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh....there you go, the classifieds.

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
If you can, try a JD Berry bow. I'm sure a trial can be arranged.

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
Mohawk and Pronghorn for me.  Ken

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
7 Lakes is a nice mild R/D  (D shape when strung) longbow with bamboo cores. I enjoy mine.
 Mike has a great return policy too, if for some  reason you don't like a smooth drawing, shooting, quick Longbow. ;0)

Worth checking out at the least.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
IMHO the best I have shot is a MOHAWK.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
I can't say which one is the best because I haven't shot too many.  I,ve got a Crow Creek Dalton and I sure do love it.
bolong

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I've read quite a bit about most of the bows listed already, but of those, the only one I have actually shot is Howard Hill.  I do have a couple of Sentman's bows and a couple of Liberty bows neither of which has been mentioned but could certainly be added to the list.  I suspect I would like any of these bows as long as the grip is a straight grip or only slightly dished or locator.  In my experience, though, I do much better making a determination of how well I like a bow by shooting it off and on for a week or two rather than a one-time opportunity.  That way I can compare it with other bows on the rack, try different arrows, etc. It's sort of like buying a new pair of boots.  By the time I've worn them for a month or two I know whether they really fit right. If they don't, another pair gets donated to good-will.  At least with bows you can sell one if it doesn't fit right. My advice is to figure out first the style of grip you like. The shootability of all of these bows is good if you like the grip.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Northern Mist

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
The most forgiving and accurate(from my personal observations at least)is a bow I gave to a friend, made by Mike Belenger. 51lbs. 68" deflexed in the grip with a long working R/D limb and really nice tillering with the belly ending up wider than the back towards the tips. If I did not have to go left handed it would have been my favorite bow for life. Not a D bow exactly but it functioned as good as any of them with a few perks added. It may be  a mistake to quantify the shape of the bow as the starting point and consider the function second.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Maybe we should list the qualities that we expect from a D profile bow. Here are mine:

Smooth drawing
Quiet on release
Efficient limb design (Which reduces recoil)
Stable and forgiving of release inconsistencies
Classic lines
Outstanding craftsmanship
Grace and beauty

With these considerations there are some really great choices available, and many, "bests".

Having said that here are my picks.

Liberty "English" (If you can find one)
Massie Traditional (ditto above)
Great Northern Bushbow
Great Northern Traditional
Kim Sha Mattawoman I and II
Deathwish
Howard Hill
Dwyer (although it is quite reflexed)
Northern Mist

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I have had a bunch of "D" shaped longbows. I love their stability and ability to shoot where pointed. Unfortunately, I did not like other qualities in them and no longer have any. I do like a mild R/D longbow however. The Sunbear that I had was the quietest and most hand shock free classic style longbow that I ever had.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©