3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First time to see a new deer call  (Read 246 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
First time to see a new deer call
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
I just watched a hunting video my friend let me borrow.  One of our common friends, Joe Vanderpoole, is Phil Vanderpoole's brother.  Well, on the Primetime Bucks 11, Phil killed a monster double drop tine buck. I wanted to see him at work.

Anyway to get to the point.  One one of the hunts a guy used a doe blow call.  Maybe it is just me, maybe I am in the dark, or maybe its my supreme hunting skills (LOL), but I never had any trouble getting does to blow at me and leave out mucho rapido.  "[dntthnk]"  

I did not even know there was such a thing as a blowing doe call.  I never knew there was even a need for a blowing doe call.  I have had it happen several times when I was hunting, but never liked it, muck less thought there was a need to make it happed more often or on command.

Like I said, maybe I am just in the dark...  :confused:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First time to see a new deer call
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
I watched a hunting show one time and I don't recall the name of it but this guy would stalk around in the woods until he got a deer to blow at him.  He would then start blowing back and, out of curiosity, the deer would come and check him out and give him a shot but that is the only time i've ever heard of it.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I had a doe come out into a cutover i was hunting this past fall and she atopped and started blowing like crazy.

The wind was right so i had no clue what she was blowing at.

Two minutes later 2 nice bucks came out right on her tail, one of them didnt make it out of the cutover.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
I have had this happen several times during my hunting career.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I expect that if one has a corporate sponsor with deep pockets and an "outfitted/guided" hunt on a very small hunting area (say 10 acres or less ) just enough so the cameras don't pick up the high fence around it, the "blow call" would work famously.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
I have never gotten a deer to come in, but I have  held them for a while by blowing back at them. I think if you were hunting areas that had less pressure, like most of the leased land that many outfitters use the deer would be more likely to come in to check out the "other deer".
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
I called in a doe this year by blowing at her. I already had a deer down and I had to get down soon, but another doe wouldn't leave. I started blowing at her and she cam in looking to 20yds.

I've never heard of this before though.

Are you sure the guy wasn't using a snort wheeze on the vid

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
When I`am going to my stand in the dark and have a deer blow at me I do right back at her I think it makes them think there is another deer and it settles them down when I`am getting in my stand,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I really like the snort wheeze, it was a blowing doe.  He even stated it and showed the call...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
I've heard a "snot wheeze" in the woods, but it wasn't a deer.   :p    :rolleyes:    

There will be plenty of fools willing to dislodge the wallet for such stuff.  And, of course, Primos, and H.S. will have them in Walmart by next deer season.  
 :saywhat:    "[dntthnk]"

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I was wonderin if they made such a thing, in the summer my blowing back seems to strike curiosity, but I cant get the right amount of nasal in there, so I was thinking of looking for one, but never bothered.  I think a grunt tube will do the same thing, even if it is the "wrong time of year", as long as you sound like a deer???
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
This might sound crazy, but in the past when I use to go into the woods during the dark, I would sometimes spook deer as I was walking in or going up a tree in my climber. The deer would blow and run off. Many years ago I started to blow back at them. I would blow as loud as I could. This seems to confuse the deer, because many times I have had them come back in just a few minutes. I do not believe this works if the catch my scent, but if it is my noise that spooks them in the dark, it works most of the time. Also, it has always been the does or young deer that come back, never a buck.
I blow using my mouth, do not use a call.
John

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Yep, sometimes when you give that alarm call back at them they want to see what did it. Doesn't always work, but sometimes they settle back dowm. Maybe they think they got spooked by another deer?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
The first call I ever had was a doe snort.  I got it years and years ago.  I have used it with some success to calm deer down that were snorting and did not know what they were alarmed by or why they were doing it.  A deer that snorts or blows is not always on high alert.  If they were, they wouldn't stand there and do it 1000000000 times.  They would haul tail.  

The reason they snort is to clear their nose to scent better.  Something has piqued their interest, but they aren't quite sure what it is.  Sometimes one alarmed deer will alarm the entire group and they will all evacuate the area.  However, if you watch a group of deer you will often see one hammer-headed doe snorting like crazy while others quickly return to feeding.  You will sometimes even see the spooked deer run off while others remain unalarmed. It is almost like they are tired of responding to her constant false alarms and they aren't about to leave prime forage to go for another run through the woods.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
... I used a MAD "GRAWL" this season and called in so many bucks..I couldn't believe it ...I almost keeped my mouth shut on this because it works so good !!! Didn't want everyone Ed. the deer !!! Unreal call...!!!  :)  ...Jeff
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I've had some good luck calming deer with a Lohman snort call.  I have no idea where they sell them these days... Some interesting viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViYwjzf9jGM&feature=related
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©