3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long to ferment corn?  (Read 432 times)

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
How long to ferment corn?
« on: February 09, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Was thinking about trying this for hog hunting.  Ferment the corn with Jello or cherry soda, dig a deep hole and pour in.  Will it ferment in a week?

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long to ferment corn?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
put a bottle of cheap wiskey in there and give it about a week or so at room temp it will start. Longer the better though. Maybe acolobowhunter will jump in I know he does it a lot.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Add a little pack of yeast, so you can watch it bubble.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
the sugar in the corn will turn into alcohol after yeast gets into it.
 You can add jello to flavor it; but take some packages of bread yeast; and put the yeast into a big jar with some warm water and stir it up; then when it has dissolved- which will happen in no more than 20 minutes- pour it into the corn- which should have water added to it to where it is soaked and has liquid around it.
 Stir it up.
 The yeast will turn the corn sugar into alcohol; and the pigs should enjoy it.

I don't see how adding whiskey to the mash will do anything- so keep it for when your processing the pigs   :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
I would not put it in the ground.  Put it into buckets or drums.  Much easier to handle and haul, unless you are putting it directly onto the bait site.  If that is the case the pigs will probably eat it before it ferments.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Only use after it's sour. Use a 5 gallon bucket for curing with yeast water (above) & organic scraps (potato peels, etc). Don't press the top down tight (may explode). It'll "stink" in 3-5 days in warm setting. Prefer to spread it out a few generous handfuls at a time. The pigs will find soured corn PDQ-2 days tops. Rebait & get ready.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
I mix Diesel fuel with the corn, nice SWEET smell in 3-4 days and the hogs love it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Jerry Ragle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
how much diesel

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
If any hogs are around they will find the corn fast without doing anything to it.:)I don't want what I plan on eating chowing down on Diesel fuel myself.  :scared:  

If you want some smell to help them find it just go to the feed store and get a bag of dryed mollases.It will bring them in and not pollute everything. jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Put out a tub of Jack Daniels for a few days before you hunt them. This way they'll be marinated already.   :knothead:

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Buttermilk Terry, BUTTERMILK!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I put in about 1/2 pint of kerosene to a five gallon bucket.  Coons and deer won't eat it, only hogs.  All the kerosene does is worm the hogs.  Bill

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
What's the idea of the fermented corn Trying to get the hogs drunk??????

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Only use after it's sour. Use a 5 gallon bucket for curing with yeast water (above) & organic scraps (potato peels, etc).  Don't press the top down tight (may explode).  It'll "stink" in 3-5 days in warm setting. Prefer to spread it out a few generous handfuls at a time. The pigs will find soured corn PDQ-2 days tops. Rebait & get ready.
x2

Offline sw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Depending on the climate - in 50 to 60 degree weather a corn/sugar mix will kick off in about a week or less and make a sweet mash, merely pour your corn in, fill with water about 4 inches over the corn, let it soak for about a week. Once it soaks up it will be breaking down, add your sugar and stir it up. Go back and stir it once a day or two - no yeast needed.

You can add a teaspoon of baker yeast to 50# of corn and 50 pounds of sugar and kick it off faster, but you do not need it. Watch your bubbles - once it stops working it will stop bubbling and will spoil in days.

If you do not want to make that much - cut the 50#/50# down accordingly. I have feed domestic hogs this slop to fatten them up 14 days before slaughter - they eat it up.....

I have heard tales of some wrapping a 55gal barrel with hay and blankets in cold weather to help it kick off. Making a sweet mash is not hard and the resulting liquid is corn beer (sweet mash).

Do not cover the barrel tightly. A board over the top works fine and lets the gases escape. Expect a rotten beer smell from it that will attract horses, cows, pigs and other animals - including your local revenuers......

CAREFUL however you are skirting the law doing so, and could very easily be taken for making shine. In some states it is ILLEGAL to mix corn and sugar in a barrel.

I have seen soaked corn and diesel work VERY well. I have also seen a hole dug 2 foot deep, handfuls of corn with cherry jello powder thrown in and then covered up work very well.... Personally unless you live in the country - stay away from soaking corn and adding sugar to the mix - neighbors can get the wrong idea, and the BATF has zero tolerance for it. To many other proven hog getters to mix up then just corn/sugar.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
If you throw in the diesel is it actually making shine?  I was just going to post, if it smells good enough to drink, don't.  Buy the good stuff.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©