3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Binocular use while hunting  (Read 883 times)

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
Binocular use while hunting
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
I was reading a article in this months Trad. Bowhunter Mag on binocular use benefits for hunting.
I have 2 pair 8x and a 10x and can see the benefits of picking up game further away and picking out small parts of game through brush but have used them less because I feel I move around more when they are around my neck.

What do you all think more of a advantage versus disadvantage?

PS  I can see where you hunt will make a difference with your answer.  I hunt southern Michigan thick 20 acre woodlots surrounding 100s of acres of crops or thick tangley swamp where I cant see 25 yards.  Not as necessary for me maybe as someone out west.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Binocular use while hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I hunt the Hudson Valley and the Catskill Mts in NY. I'm lost with out them.  I don't necessarily use them for great distances, I use the to clearly see in thick stuff.  I want to know if its a buck or a doe, or even, that the movement that I just saw was in fact a deer or not.  If I'm still hunting, gotta have them!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Don't underestimate the value of binocs to pick a critter out of the crud at close range. I wouldn't think of hunting big game w/o a pair of binocs.

For most bowhunting I use a pair of nice compact Bushnell Trophy 7x35s. I like 10x40s too, and recently upgraded my pair of Trophy 10x40s for a pair of Cabelas Alaskan Guides 10x40s.

I either put on a long strap so I can wear them across my body & under my arm like a side quiver, or snap on a set of Bino Buddies which keeps them tight to my chest until I need them...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
It's much easier to spot a moving animal than one that is still.  If I'm moving, I'm looking for a still animal, so I use my binoculars a lot.  Now if I'm on stand, I'm looking for a moving animal and trying to be still myself, so I don't use them as much.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Chinook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
I would agree on the value of binocs to pick up aniamls out of the brush at close range. I won't go out hunting without a pair with me.

For most bowhunting I used to use a pair of nice compact Bushnell Trophy 10x35s. Last couple of years I have toted the extra weight and taken the 10x42s.  

I put on a longer strap so I can wear them across my body & under my arm like a side quiver, or I use a set of Bino Buddies which keeps them tight to my chest until I need them...

There are other benifits to having the 10x42's - they keep me from getting to bored and nodding off to nappy time.  I get started scanning for deer, then spot some birds, and more birds, and keep myself occupied in what is going on in the range of my vision.
Chinook

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
The thicker it is, the more I like my binos.

I don't use 'em for seeing things farther away...I use 'em becuase they make me focus on a small area and really pick it apart.  You can't believe the game you are looking past at 40-50 yards!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
It's much easier to spot a moving animal than one that is still.  If I'm moving, I'm looking for a still animal, so I use my binoculars a lot.  Now if I'm on stand, I'm looking for a moving animal and trying to be still myself, so I don't use them as much.
Thats a good point.  I typically am sitting still on the ground or up in a treestand.  And feel the looking around with the binos adds to my movement for deer to pick me off.  But like being able to see em before they get in range.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Yes,  binos are an essential tool to the bowhunter!  I do not take to the field with out a pair.  I use them for any and every viewing situation. My favorites is the 8X40, but recently, I have change to a pair of 10X28 compacts.

Offline pete Darby @ home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
I keep a small set handy.  Mostly for looking at interesting things.  Two 8 points sparring the week before buck season.  a Feisty black squirrel that was determined to rid the neighborhood of grays.  As said above when on stand I am mostly looking for movement.
Peter Darby

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I used to  doubt the need for binoculars where I hunt in hunt here in the South.  When I changed leases I ended up with more clear cut and crop fields to hunt so I started carrying a pair.  once the habit was formed I started carrying them into the brush with me as well.  Now I would as soon leave my bow at home as my binoculars.  I have actually been halfway to a stand and gone back to camp for binoculars on several occassions.  It is amazing the amount of utility and enjoyment that they bring to a hunt.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by huntin_sparty:

Originally posted by jsweka:
Thats a good point.  I typically am sitting still on the ground or up in a treestand.  And feel the looking around with the binos adds to my movement for deer to pick me off.  But like being able to see em before they get in range. [/b]
I agree, though I think with slow enough movement, deer won't see you.  I still hunted to within 40 yds using my zeiss 7x last season... Its like Peterson and Asbell said, if you think you're moving slow, SLOW DOWN MORE! Still, at 40 it was too thick and too far to shoot, but it was cool just getting that close to whitetails on the ground!

Binos in the stand is also all about slow, slow, slow.  I raise my glasses slowly, glass slowly, and lower slowly.  I have caught sight of deer up to 30-50 yds off using binos without being picked off. Any closer and you really don't need 'em anyway  :)
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
There are many situations/timber conditions when I don't want or need them. But when I do need them- they are the difference between knowing and not knowing if game is there.

They only help if you use them of course...

Most articles I read about glassing usually describe it in ways that makes the activity sound like a ball and chain(work). But in my experience when they help you see what you otherwise cannot, using them is like looking with eyes only ie: Intuitive and easy.
Every time I read about gridding a section while glassing I just wince. Just look at everything and do it slowly and maybe more than once. Don't make it an un-natural chore and you'll find using binocs is as second nature as looking without them. After awhile I bet you use them in a very efficent manner.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I stand hunt as well and its generally in timber, not impossible to see long distances but its not ideal.  I like to have the binos with me for several reasons.  I use them when Im sure a buck isnt going to come in at all and I just want to get a good look at the ones Im not going to  get a shot at today.  It is also very common to see a few deer way out there and I may just be able to pick out a good buck and adjust my shooting position early  before hes on top of me and more likely to catch my movement.  I feel like I have a better chance of turning a buck that is some distance away from me as well, up close they are expecting to see what made that alluring bleat but from 75 yards they have to close the gap some before they are gonna see little miss hottie doe.  Like any tool you gotta know the best time to use them and of course I get busted now and then goofing with the binos when I should be drawing a bow but all in all the plus column is richer than the minus column.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
A few years ago, I dropped the money on a pair of Leica 8x32's.  I now never do anything in the woods without them on me.  They are perfcect for whitetail hunting in thick cover.  I have seen a number of deer that I would not have seen without them.  Also, it really makes the time on stand more enjoyable, when you can watch all of the other critters around you, including small things, and be able to really "get the picture".  A good pair of binoculars from a good company with a lifetime warranty is a great investment for any bowhunter.  I can't believe all the years I hunted without them.

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
A good set of Binos that you can see with at dawn/dusk is a big help for me.  Some are worthless in low light while others are amazing how they collect the light and improve your odds in low light.  Try them out in a low light area of the store and compare them side by side before buying.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Binos are essential to spot and stalk hunting. 6x32 is ideal for my use.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
There are only 2 things I'll go back to the house and get if I forget them on the way to the stand - my bow and my binoculars.

Hunting whitetails without binos would be like hunting them with one hand tied behind my back - can't imagine not having the glasses.

I use Custom Compact 7X26 glasses for all of my hunting - small enough to be handy, but not "sub-compact" so they work well.  I've even used these out west and in Canada for longer range glassing of burns/clearcuts, but if I were going to spend LOTS of time behind glass I'd upgrade....however for whitetails these are the berries.

R

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I carry a pair of 8x30 Swarovskis. I wouldn't hunt without them. I carry them on every hunt. Spot something at long range, I can identify it. That slight twitch of a movement in the brush, I can pick it out and know if it is a bird or a deer. Never leave home without them.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
I take two pair with me on most hunts.
A small pair of Tasco 8x21's that I only take from around my neck when I hit the sack,and a pair of Nikon 7x50's that I take if I know I'm going to be sitting anf watching for any length of time.
Bino's increase your depth perception a lot.
If your looking at a distant ridge line that has cover on top,that is where your visabilty ends,but with a good set of bino's you can look clean through that cover to see clearly what's beyond it.
In a lot of my mountain hunting I will sit in the evenings until dak watching as much as two Kms away.
Do that with only your eyes and you will miss most of what's out there.
Those little Taco's are exellent in heavy cover for focusing out what's directly in front and focusing on what's further out.
You just can't do that with your normal eye sight.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
I will not hunt without my Swaros.  H

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©