3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How can you shoot with glasses?  (Read 837 times)

Offline xroadshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
How can you shoot with glasses?
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
Well middle age is finnaly starting to set in and I had to get a pair of glasses.  I'm having a really tough time shooting with them because I knock them off my head each time I come to full draw.  How do you guys deal with this?

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How can you shoot with glasses?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
contacts.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Get contacts or a shorter bow,or give up and send me all your gear...LOL   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
i was just thinking about that this morn. i wear reedin specs and then pick up bow and have to take them off to shoot, and thought boy what im i gonna do when i have to wear them to see at a distance?....

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Wow... I've never had the problem... you may need your glasses adjust a bit closer to your face or to turn your head a little more.  Your string should not be catching the edge of your glasses at all... play with your form a bit before investing several hundred in contacts... though I can tell you that having contacts makes hunting easier.  Its easier to glass, less to reflect... etc...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
I have worn glasses all my life and been shooting bows for over 40 years, no problem.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Danny Rowan:
I have worn glasses all my life and been shooting bows for over 40 years, no problem.
Ditto. Well, except for the 40 years part  :bigsmyl:
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
No trouble here in over forty years.  It's more of a form issue I would think....maybe leaning into the shot too much.  Don't know without seeing you shoot.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Never been an issue for me, have you tried to cant the bow slightly to get clearance. Best of luck, it can be done.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline clayton95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
I have glasses and shoot without them hitting the string.  I think that you will need to turn your head a little more if you are getting problems.  I would have a friend help by watching you draw and see what the problem is.  Is your anchor point really far back?  You may need to adjust your form a little to eliminate the contact.  I find glasses easier than contacts especially on longer trips away from home.  Contacts can work but become a hassle when everything is dirty when you are hunting in the backcountry.  Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help more.
Clayton

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
I prefer contacts, but I have never had a problem with my glasses. How is the string comming so close to your eye? I anchor on the corner of my mouth and the string doesnt even come close.
Great Northern Firball 65@28
63' Hoyt Pro Hunter 49@28
74' Bear Kodiak Magnum 45@28 (my wife claims its hers now lol)
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28
70s ? Shakespeare Necedah 50@28

"Fast is nice, but accuracy is everything"-Wyatt Earp

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
If you draw to the corner of your mouth, it shouldn't be a problem. I shoot with glasses.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I shoot with glasses.  I'd say that if the string is comming back past the corner where the bow of the glasses meets the frame that you don't have the arrow under your eye and you have a floating anchor.  I suggest that if the string is that far back, that is not in front of the lens, that you have a form problem.  I'm with George, need to see you shoot.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I have been shooting with my ski goggles on because of the extreme weather, and they definatly take some getting used to!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline xroadshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
I must be leaning into the shot because the target picture gets fuzzy which means I'm not looking straight at the target.  I do anchor at the corner of my mouth, but I use my extended thumb on my temple as a second anchor and that's whats knocking them off.  

Have been told I can't use contacts.  Guess I need to figure out how to keep my head pointed at what I'm shooting, but then the anchor doesn't feel right...back to the drawing board.

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Xroadshunter, as a longtime specs wearer, let me take a pass at this. This suggestion is only about being “near-sighted”, not the “my arms are not long enough to hold a book I can see” middle age reading problem. Based on my experience, I think it will only be a coincidence if you get to keep the anchor point you are using before wearing glasses. It also is a little tricky because the corrective prescription is not usually ground consistently across the lens. That is, one part of your lens will give you the very sharpest vision. Here is what has worked for me, and you might give it a try. Wearing your glasses, move your head around however you need to hold it until you are convinced that you have the sharpest image of your target. Now that you are wearing glasses to correct vision, that is how you must learn to hold your head in your new shooting position, so your “form” will need some re-tooling. Experiment with different anchor points until you locate one that works with your new head position. Shooting accurately with glasses is not all that tough to learn to do as many have already noted. Just takes some shooting until you find what works for your face, glasses frames, form, etc. Best of luck to you, and a final tip, just like a spare bowstring, pack some backup glasses when you go hunting. Good luck

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
I shoot three under and have no issues with my glasses... anchor problem?
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline ryped

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
I have to shoot with contacts.  If not the rim of my glasses will get in the way and the target is blurry.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I have the same problem as ryped.  Got glasses that looked good on me, but sucked for shooting. Contacts are great.  Takes a little while to get use to them in your eyes, but much better than glasses.

I figure I'll wait till I'm 45 - 50 years old and then get Laysic eye surgery. By that age it should last me for the rest of my life (or until the rest of my body gives up the good things in life).
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
My Glasses are just as much a Part of Me as my Eyeballs, cant say I have EVER had a Problem Shooting with them.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©