3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In your opinion what is the most important skill in shooting /hunting with trad gear!  (Read 2409 times)

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
It's all about hitting what your shooting at.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Knowing your limitations and hunting within them. Knowing the shot not to take is just as important as knowing the one to take.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting - consistency in your form/anchor/release, whatever style it might be.

Hunting - knowing WHEN to take the shot, and WHERE to place it.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting...PROBLEM-SOLVING.

Shooting...REPETITION.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
All above mentioned points are on target. I like to think that with Trad Archery and Hunting you need to commit with your heart and soul to be successful. Yes... You must learn how to hunt and shoot first, but... Someone once said:

"Don't wait for it to happen. Don't wish for it to happen. Don't want it to happen. Just let it happen."  

So... Keep at it until that time and have fun learnin' as ya go.

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
Iam going with
 Wildlife behavior -- spend a 100 pleasant days STILL hunting squirrels--they'll teach you alot about opening up your senses, and strengthing keeness of observation, in addition to getting good shots off at live targets---a whole diff thing than hitting foam under static circumstances that you have total control over.(that foam will just sit there for you,until you're good and ready to shoot.) Also, you're going to be able to observe alot of deer-- how they move, and they react in a wide variety of circumstances.

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting - Perfect and consistent practice. Trying to make each and every practice session a little different so one can keep making improvements.

Hunting - knowing how to get real close to game. Having patience and confidence in yourself to make the shot.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
For me its staying focused.  W/O a site its easy for me to do.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
That quote that mcfgroundstalker posted.... I'm not all that "laid back" about things when it comes to bowhuntng (deer especially). For me, things don't "just happen"... I MAKE them happen. You can go afield and just let things happen, or you go can go afield and make things happen. I prefer the latter, as it usually results in more opportunities.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Knowing your limitations and hunting within them. Knowing the shot not to take is just as important as knowing the one to take.
Very well put.......and my feelings exactly.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
that's an easy one. form,patience,picking the right spot and matching arrows to shoot from the bow.i feel alot of newer guys to the sport fall into the latter part of not matching the right spine arrow to their bow,thus resulting in arrow flight problems,then leading into frustration with the sport.
Richard Battistoni

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
In hunting,waiting for the right moment to take the shot.Not pushing your limitations, because you think your chance may not come again.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
I know a lot of good shooters.  I know a few good hunters.

There's always a few who just seem to get it done......whatever the prey.

there are shooting skills and there are hunting skills - both very different, both very required.

Hear. Hear.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
Being sneaky.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
You need to have a spot before you can pick one! Preseason scouting is a biggie!
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mindset..... You hunt with traditional gear for any number of "personal" reasons.

I gave up bowhunting completely a number of years ago. I started hunting small game when I was about 6 years old with a Red Bear solid glass recurve. Killed my first squirrel with that old bow as well as many more. Rabbits,squirrels,and a good number of woodchucks all fell to that old bow and it's way overspined cedar arrows tipped with Bear Razorheads. When I started Big Game hunting I used a 50# Bear Alaskan and cedar arrows with Bear Razorheads to take my first 3 deer. In the late 80's I switched to a compound and I probly owned a dozen or more in the few years that I used them. I never really liked them which was why I kept buying differant ones.There was always supposed to be something "better" coming out.By 1990,I was done. I gave away my compound and quit bowhunting. In the late 90's I met a friend who was pestering me to get into bowhunting again..... I told him "Bob,If I ever get back into bowhunting again,it'll be with an old recurve and cedar arrows." In my search I found my very good friend,and fellow TradGanger,Joe Skipp. Joe sold me a 55# 1967 Bear Kodiak Magnum and a dozen cedar arrows. Finally,I had returned to my roots!!!!! I actually felt happy again while I was bowhunting.

Many people have trouble making the switch from compound to traditional bows. They remember the close groups and long shots,and are unable to make those shots with traditional bows. This leads to "flip-floping" back and forth,from traditional to compound. We see this every year in posts..... "I could have had him with my compound" etc. As I said,it's all about mindset. It is a transition period,but once you develop the "traditional" mindset,you will never second guess your traditional equipment,you will just comfortably chalk it up to "the one that got away" and "it just wasn't meant to be".....

Yup, If I had to pick the one most important thing..... I would have to say, "mindset"  :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
Focus and maintaining form through the shot

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
enjoying the sport!!!!!!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Accuracy! I don't know how many chances I have blown over the years due to missing!!
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Oh and yeah, everyone knows its really important to own the most expensive gear you can find.   :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©