3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In your opinion what is the most important skill in shooting /hunting with trad gear!  (Read 2406 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well I guess I can't really add to whats been said, all the comments on the pages before pretty much say it all...........ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
I used to think that shooting skills and woodsmanship were equally important. Now I feel that being able to hit what you're aiming at is the more important of the two. Personally, I'd rather go an entire season without a shot than get one and botch it.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
Knowing your limitations and hunting within them. Knowing the shot not to take is just as important as knowing the one to take.
What Winterhawk and Vermonster13 said  :campfire:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Most important skill.......Get very, very close.

That covers shooting skill and hunting skill.

Get close and you will kill stuff.

Offline Whump

• Trad Bowhunter
Whump Sez: The one thing that helped me close the deal was making the first shot count when you practice. Shoot that first practice shot just like you are shooting at your quarry. If you have to shoot more than one time to get on target when you practice then you need to think more about the first shot you take at each practice session.When I say think about it--I mean sit there for 5 mins if you have to and concentrate on the shot--then pick a spot and shoot.  I am not saying shoot one time when you practice and that is it, but don't take that first shot for granted. If you usually miss your mark on the first shot when you practice; what do you think is going to happen when you are shooting at a live target under pressure? When you are able to walk up to the line and shoot that first shot in the kill zone your confidence will be boosted exponentially and confidence is everything on a hunting shot.   Hunt safe.

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
I’ve only hunted whitetail and smaller, but I (we?) put a lot of pressure on myself when that old moment of truth rolls around. Hours spent practicing form, pick a spot, money on the deer lease, gas, equipment, cost of kitchen passes, etc. etc. all seem to weigh down on me when a deer I want to shoot gets close enough. I don’t think it is buck fever, but I can really start to feel that “bottom of the ninth, two strikes, two outs, score tied” feeling begin to pressure me to start “forcing” something to happen. Guess what I am trying to say is that letting the shot “come to me” and not letting my self-imposed pressure take over and rush something bad is the most important “skill” I need to master. I keep telling myself I don’t need to kill a deer, squirrel, rabbit, etc. to have a successful hunt, and I have had tag soup for the last few years while having a great time in the woods. My friends all call me mental anyway, so put me down for “mental” being the most important skill.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
As far as shooting....it's form.

"Hunting" is a whole different skill set.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Accuracy...this comes from starting out with a bow weight you can handle comfortably and develop good form. Start out with a bow too heavy for you and bad habits will soon follow.

Developing good form...coming to full draw, anchor for a second or two, aiming and a good clean release. All basics that can easily be learned. I can't stress enough, especially when I deal with compound shooters going trad...get a bow weight that is comfortable and you can handle easily. Once your form is down and you find the right aiming system, the rest will fall into place.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
After you have the 'mechanics' down (setup, shooting skills) then patience, but along with that goes persistence. We are all going to blow stalks, have animals close but not a good shot angle, weather days, etc. Without persistence, we may be ready to cash in when if we hang on a bit longer, success may be just around the corner.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
Shot placement with a sharp (***SHARP***) broadhead and knowing when to shoot.

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Patience, good form, follow through and Aim Small.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline sleepingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
pick a spot and concentration.

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
Consistency, being able to do the same thing over and over and patience.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Two things:
I think being honest with yourself about what kind of shot you should be taking or can make. I'm not talking about shots that you knew you could make but "go wrong" from unforeseen influences on the arrow.
 I mean low percentage shots. If you blow it, will you do whats right and find that animal, no matter what?
And,
If you  lose the animal and say something like "...I'd take that shot again..." that isn't really being honest about what happened. Either at the shot or on the recovery the ball was dropped.

I think these are very near the top in importance because every other skill is filtered throught that same lens that is either honest with yourself of not.

A high standard. Maybe  I'm old school. I was taught to never take a shot unless you knew you could make it no matter how badly you wanted that trophy. I was taught that the hunt would not continue until the animal was found. If that meant the hunt was essentially over, than so be it. Tough love I guess.

Thanks Dad.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
Preparation...  Accuracy, ethics, and patience.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
what I think of to become more accurate or when its fallen apart for me is,,, upon release push the bow right towards the kill (no matter what distance its at push that riser right towards it) and do not move either hand or my head when the string pulls from my fingers--> don't TRY to watch the arrow but watch it come up and drop down to disappear behind my fist (hand holding bow) and I ussually start shooting a tighter group.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Again if it's one thing...get close and you will kill stuff.

Offline jdemoya

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting close to your intended target!

God bless,

José

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
You have to KNOW that you will be able to make the shot when it happens. This goes for hunting or tournaments. I've been around lots of guys who mentally talk themselves out of shots. Does that mean you'll never miss? Not at all, but you have to be ready for the next shot.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
for me the difficult part is knowing when to draw your bow so as to not get caught by your quarry, for shooting , always hitting the same anchor point
Make a life, not a living

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©