3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In your opinion what is the most important skill in shooting /hunting with trad gear!  (Read 2404 times)

Offline pow-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Patience in every aspect of the sport. From shot selection to time to develop into a proficient archer. It just don't come easy. You've got to put in your time to get good.
Nothing ruins a good hunt like pulling the trigger

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Dedication and Practice.........  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
for me, if you are talking about hunting situation, it's "picking a spot"

before, all you need it's a constant practice ...
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
The persistence to stick with it long enough to practice your shooting ,woodlore and patience until it becomes second nature. I have shot deer that came chasing a doe through the patch of woods I was hunting that I don't even remember drawing my bow. The focus , picking a spot ,anchor and selecting the shot is all natural ( Instinctive ) to me .Next thing you know is you see the arrow in the spot you have picked . When it all comes together it is what we do and I love it!

Small game hunting helps build this confidence, as does bow fishing. Rutting Carp remind me of rutting deer
   :bigsmyl:  

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
Spot on shooting is the most important. How many times have you heard.  I  MISSED!!!!! You can get as close as need be, but if you can't hit the ground if you dropped your bow what good does it do you??

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
My main concern in my "hunting skill" is concentration...My mind will take care of the rest
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
the first order of "business" is to get your rig tuned correctly and then get good with it. this will give you a tremendous amount of CONFIDENCE which will allow you to go forward to focus on the next stage which will be your hunting.

i truly believe a lot more folks would be doing trad if they had a bow that was set up correctly.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline kybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
CONCENTRATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Becoming efficient at X amount of yards. Getting within X amount of yards to your quarry. Doing both consistently.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Knowing when the only shot presented...calls for a pass.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I haven't read this entire thread, so it may have already been said.  But to answer the specific question -- What is the most important shooting/hunting SKILL?  

Without a doubt it's hitting what your aiming at!  Whether your a proficient at 5 yards or 50 yards, shooting a self bow or 7MM, you HAVE to be able to hit what your aiming at...or else you should be hiking, NOT hunting.  Even just in shooting...if you are hitting what you are aiming at consistantly (the other items have or WILL fall into place).

I understand the kill is not the only thing the hunt is about, but if you are carrying a weapon in the woods -- hitting your intened target is the first and foremost skill you need!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline SGO

• Trad Bowhunter
There are too many skills to name, but one of the first things that come to mind...well practiced and confident bowhunters that hold their composure when the oportunity presents itself is key. When it comes to Bowhunting, its all about getting close. Too many people these days have forgotten that.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Concentration and repeatability. I'm still inconsistant in the anchoring area, but I'm working on it.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Practice,patience,persistence,and confidence come to mind quickly
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Having your whole Heart in that instance! We all know practice and  persistence, confidence, etc is important. If your NOT their, your not!

If I'm worrying about home and work, it ain't going to happen! We all have done the routine, but at the end of the hunt, what reason were you out there?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
It takes both hunting skills and shooting skills, but you must have patience to allow these hunting skills and shooting skills to come together on a close but unaware animal.
Sam

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
I got two..

Being able to hold it together at the shot.
Most importantly being able to enjoy the days with no shots thanking GOD for the blessings of the day.RC

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
Amen to that RC!  Amen.

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
CONTROL

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
Patience, concentration, and hunting skills. Most everyone has a distance they can hit consistantly at but they gotta get close enough first.
Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©