3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood ?  (Read 633 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood ?
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Getten some arrows.What are the pros and cons to some of the types of wood.POC,Sitka Spruce,Hickory,Lodgepole Pine,Ash,Maple,and Magnolia.I think thats all of them.Thanks   :confused:    :coffee:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Carbon!!!
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Only on my flu flu(they were leftovers from the wheels) I only want wood!
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Surewoods(Doug fir) will require the least amount of straigtening.I love them already.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
I love my tapered ash.
It's not the general opinion here, but for me they are tougher than carbon while stumpshooting.

They are very heavy too

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
hex pines are my faves - built like a bamboo flyrod in 6 sections, very consistent spine all around the shaft, durable, good weight, can be tapered.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Rob I saw them on the class. and didn't know how they were made Thanks for the info.Would you hunt with them?
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Rob I saw them on the class. and didn't know how they were made Thanks for the info.Would you hunt with them?
hex pines sure can be used for hunting and have taken game all around the world.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
hickorycreekarrows.com/

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Somebody asked me this question a bit ago, here's my answer.

Douglas Fir and Sitka Spruce have both proven themselves to be excellent arrow woods.  Both are more durable than P.O. Cedar and shoot at least as well.  

Fir is a very snappy wood and recovers from paradox quickly.  It is the heavier of the three woods, averaging about 10-20% heavier than POC.  Fir is also a little on the brittle side.  It won't explode on you when shooting, but if it does break, it tends to really come apart.  At least that way, you know for sure that it is broken.  I have shot Fir on and off for many years and consider it the nicest shooting of the standard arrow woods.  Fir can be had in spines up to 115 lb.

Sitka Spruce brags the highest strength to weight ratio of all woods.  It has a fibrous structure which makes it very durable.  It is the wood that wood aircraft are made with.  It runs a bit lighter than POC on average, and the weight varies less.  Spruce is a fairly new arrow wood for me but so far I am very pleased.  It shoots much like cedar and is clearly more durable.  With its lighter mass weight, it lends itself very well to high FOC arrows.  Its only limitation is that the spine range ends at about 75 lb in a tapered shaft.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
I tried quite a few arrow woods including hickory, hex-pine, cedar, etc...and my favorite ended up being Douglas Fir from Surewood far and away for several reasons.
1) The customer service from Surewood is nothing short of excellent. They can get me spines up to 115# consistently, and in matching weight groups! I've gone through a lot of their shafts, and came across one that had a weird spine variation around the shaft, and I asked them about it...they replaced it no questions asked even though I told them it wasn't necessary as it was one of my personal arrows.
2) The shafts are nothing short of excellent   :)   They're great to work with...they are very consistent in spine and weight, are straight or at least very easy to straighten, and take a stain well. When I do my barrel taper on them, they consistently lose very close to 1.4% in spine.
3) As mentioned earlier, they were one of the few suppliers who could get me the quality 90-100# shafts I need for my personal arrows consistently.

POC was pretty good, but not as tough, or for me, as easy to straighten as the Douglas Fir (it may have been because they were compressed, or technically "heavily burnished")...and there was a VERY limited supply in the spines I need. Hickory is kinda hard to work with, so I never finished arrows out of them, just worked with the shafts some, but they seemed incredibly tough, but difficult to straighten. The hexshafts were a good arrow, and the quality of the work on the arrows (breast tapers, nock and point tapers) from Whispering Wind was the best I've seen, but the ones I tested for spine weren't as consistent around the shaft as I had expected, and they didn't seem as tough as the Douglas Fir.
Anyways, that's what I've found in my experimenting...I would have done testing with Sitka Spruce except Hildebrand couldn't get me any in 95# spine.

Craig

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Fletcher-How do those two take stain? What kind? Hap

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
I recently had Paul from Badger Arrow make me up some flu flu's out of Douglas Fir, I really like them, thinking about switching to them for deer hunting as well! oh yeah, they are as straight as an arrow!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
POC is good! Always.
D Fir is possibly a touch better...get them from Feathered Shaft (a sponsor)...awesome!!!
I had miserable luck with the hex shafts Rob posted above, as did GFA, although some have had good luck with them. I couldn't straighten even one of them which was crooked.
The hardwoods take a lot of work up front, but are great shafts when they are done, and you can go to 5/16" if you don't shoot too much #

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
I'm an ash man! Like to have at least 3 growth rings. I like the 500 plus gr./32" giving me a final shaft of 730 or so.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Ash for me too. Strong & heavy.  You will have more straightening work compared to Douglas fir or cedar, but that little extra work is well worth the increase in durability.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
D fir from Surewood are great shafts.  Also sitka spruce from Hildebrand are good.  D fir making the heavier arrow.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Hap, I use mostly Minwax and Varathane brand oil base stains and both of the woods take them very well.  Fir has some color variation on its own and the rift grain is readily visible on the natural shaft, but a dark stain really brings it out.  The natural spruce is a pretty consistent light colored wood and the grain can be hard to see, but again it really comes thru when stained.  Spruce is still kinda new to me, but so far I like it a lot.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Surewoods from Braveheart Archery great shafts, mine required no straighting take stain well and durable.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©