3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinny Strings Chronograph Results, on Video you may be surprised  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have read several threads on this site concerning Skinny strings and performance.  I figured why not see what all the hype was about.

So I ordered some strings and set about shooting them.  At least with my recurve I was seeing no additional speed, and to my deaf ears they pretty much sounded the same.

Then I figured why not make a video of me shooting each string through a chronograph using the same arrow.  Fortunately for me there is just this set up right down the road from me.

The intent of this video is not to create an argument, I did it for fun.  I tried to upload to youtube, but they have a 2 meg limit, photobucket has a 10 minute limit, and my video is 26 minutes long, so I had to upload it to my website.

Just so everyone knows I shot my bow with the following strings on it through the chronograph using a hooter shooter.  With each string I used the exact same brace height and used the exact same arrow.  In addition I used a grain scale to weigh my arrow and each string prior to testing.

14 Strand D97
12 Strand D97
10 Strand 8125
10 Strand TCD-150
14 Strand TCD-150

On most strings I shot two shots at 28" and one shot at 30" of draw.  

The results may suprise some, to some it may not.  I was surprised.  If you have some time, the video is 26 minutes long, but I think entertainig.

I am ordering an 8 strand and 10 strand D97, if someone has anyother suggestions please let me know and I will do the same thing all over again, it was fun.

http://onestringer.com/index.php?page=mods/Video/gen_win&vidid=11

Click on the above link to take you to the video
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinny Strings Chronograph Results, on Video you may be surprised
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Great work!  I don't think it will be a "be-all-end-all", but it shows a lot.  My thoughts were the same as yours with the 10 strand 8125--oh well.

I'm not going to spoil it for everyone else.  I'll probably chime in more when more have watched.

Chad

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
I like the video. Impressive. 1 thing I did see was that your silencers changed from string to string with the D97 having 4 rather than 2 and still 168 fps.

You need to test a B50 so I can dismiss the FF type strings and not think I need to upgrade to bow that will handle them.
Rick

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Well not to contradict but I've did tests myself, first off I think to qualify as a "skinny" string your talking a maximum of 8 strands but more likely 6 to 4 strands. I've been making my own recurves and endless loop strings for about 12 years now. With my own chrono set up on the same day switching from a 50lb recurve with a 12 strand B50 string and then changing to a 8 strand D97 I gained 10fps shooting the exact same arrow combo(500grain), the bow just "felt" better shooting and atleast to me was way more quiet. Originally the arrow bareshaft tuned PERFECT with B50 but with a "skinny" D97 string showed weak spine. Your mileage may vary though.I've since switched to Ultra Cam though.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
It is what it is.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
You forgot to use a skinny string!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I have a 10 strand and 8 strand D97 coming, any more suggestions.  I don't think I will see any difference in the 10 strand, but the 8, who knows.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I would LOVE to have a Hooter Shooter.  I've thought about looking for one on the bay, but am a little worried what would show up on the search   :eek:

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
You forgot to use a skinny string!      :bigsmyl:    
X2      :goldtooth:  

IMO the idea is to get a light as you can and still be safe. With your bow at 49# @ 30" you could very well shoot a 6 strand Ultra Cam string with one pair of silencers and 5" of serving. you will see a huge string weight differance. Try that against a 12 strand D97 and see what you get.

I my self even go as far as to make the string at a lenght that when its shot in it only has about 1/2 twist per inch. The more twists you have to put in it to get brace is just that much more material you dont need in the string.

Man is ts fun to tinker isn't it. Love what you are doing. Go even skinner and give us another show.

If im not mistaken and if i am please correct me Bjorn but on a bow or two, Bjorn shoots a 4 strand D97, now thats what you call skinny.

If you would like give me your actual string lenght and i will make and send you a 6 strand Ultra Cam for your next test.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Great test!!!!  I'm with Chesapeake....shoot a B50 to really throw another wrench in the gears.

Mike

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Nice test,I enjoyed it.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
I agree. You need to try a 6 strand and possibly a 4 strand.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
"If im not mistaken and if i am please correct me Bjorn but on a bow or two, Bjorn shoots a 4 strand D97, now thats what you call skinny."

That is correct. I have a 35# 1959 Bear Grizzly that has had a 4 strand D97 string for about a year.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
interesting stuff!  results certainly were not what I expected!
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Onestringer:
14 Strand D97
12 Strand D97
10 Strand 8125
10 Strand TCD-150
14 Strand TCD-150

i don't see any 'skinny strings' that you tested.  low strand count strings are near or less than 1/2 the current hmpe fiber strand count.  this is for the SAME fiber type - different fibers have different diameters, mass weights and dynamic properties to take into consideration.

at the MOST, 8 strands versus 14 strands, or 6 strands versus 12 strands.  i won't go below 6 strands, other folks do go lower.

no question in my testing with lotsa different bows that the skinnys make for less noise.  i dunno or care about the speed factor, but they HAVE to be faster since mass string weight is GREATLY reduced.

all speed testing should be done in a controlled environment using at least a single point release aid.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
what are the result? my computer wont run the video

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
interesting
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
I got more speed on my bows, but I went from 14 strand to 8.  Also I don't need as much for silencers with the 8.  In fact on some bows the bare 8 was quieter than the 14 with silencers.  It is a package deal.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
I have found on D-97 that 10 strand is the peak and 8 strand or 12 strand start to loose performance.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
I can't open videos on this computer so don't know any results you might have had.Why not just post the numbers instead?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©