3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Eichler-Amazing Recurve Shot!  (Read 1710 times)

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Eichler-Amazing Recurve Shot!
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Jerry, if you don't consider a 35 yard front quartering heart shot on a coues deer to be remarkable, I salute you Don Corleone....

WV, Fred is primarily a recurve guy, but also shoots/hunts compounds as well.  I wholeheartedly concur with this practice. I too love all forms of archery/bowhunting, and see no reason to limit myself, particularly to meet someone else's standard or Traditional.

He has a guide/outfitter business and is a pro staffer for Hoyt & Easton (and I imagine probably for other companies as well).

He is the star/host of Easton Bowhunting, which primarily features him hunting with recurves.

He's also one of a very select few who has taken a head of every species of North American big game with recurve.
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
He's also one of a very select few who has taken a head of every species of North American big game with recurve. [/QB]
Actually he is one of 2 people in the world to ever complete the North American Traditional Slam!!!  It is Fred Eichler, and I beleive Fred Bear?  But that is just my guess???

Anybody know what channel it was on?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I think there was another guy who completed his Slam about the same time as Fred E.  I don't know if Papa Bear did it or not.

Easton Bowhunting TV is on the Outdoor Channel...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
O so the outdoor channel has started the next season.  I just got done watching a season, and didnt see that one, so you guys must be ahead of the sportsmans channel?  It is on there too, but my DVR didnt record it so I guess it wasnt on there!
~Chris Shelton

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Please read with soft eyes - I am not be critical just observant ok....Not trying to start a fight or take away from anyones abilities here...just my thoughts..

Tradbow - don't get me wrong I wasn't knocking him...now was he specifically aiming for a heart shot...hmm I dunno...never saw it...don't really care. You don't have to hit a heart to take an animal do you.

I saw a shot he took on an groper in a DVD (i bought them all) and it was a questionable angle (pretty severe) but it worked out great....now if it hadn't worked out would that shot be in the video...hmmm dunno.

Then his wife took one and it wasn't very good either, but it worked out and it was her first groper which was great and fun to watch her reactions...great video...but again the shot wasn't the best...but it worked out.

I have taken animals that weren't pretty either, but I don't think if I had videos of them I would want to show those ones. I would show the ones that make ppl go WOW....just makes good sense is all.

Blind hunting and stand hunting is pretty much known distances too...another advantage...when you are roaming around you don't know yardage unless you use electonic gear to tell you the exact range.

He seems to shoot unknown yardage real well, but again he practices more than the average fella too so it makes sense that he should be able too.

Kudos there too

CHRIS: - Grand Slam

Most of us could probably do the grand slam too if we had the money and the time to do it. It takes some time to do because of seasons tags availability etc, but it's doable,

AGAIN not knocking him...he's kinda blessed I think to be able to do what he does and that's great and most of us are envious (I am).

Anytime I see video hunting shows though I always have a part of me inside that is saying - they need to get a video out to please sponsors and pay the bills.

They need to show animals being harvested...bottom line. So how many shots are taken that are left on the cutting floor..I love his bloopers

I think he is an ethical hunter..but I guided for a fella in saskatewan for spring bears. It was all baiting and they were filmed. Many of the hunts they used for advertizing.

I was there for many of the harvests over two years and some weren't pretty and some we never recovered....and they never made the video's or bloopers.

Jer Bear

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Interesting thing about Fred is that he gets just as excited about shooting a cow elk or a doe as he does a big buck .... I enjoy his shows and he is not afraid to show himself missing a shot, but the guy can shoot.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Shelton:

He's also one of a very select few who has taken a head of every species of North American big game with recurve. [/b]
Actually he is one of 2 people in the world to ever complete the North American Traditional Slam!!!  It is Fred Eichler, and I beleive Fred Bear?  But that is just my guess???

Anybody know what channel it was on? [/QB]
Rick Duggan was the first to take all 28 with traditional archery tackle. Fred got his 28th species very shortly afterwards. When P&Y added the 29th species, Tule elk, Fred then became the first to take all 29 with a stickbow.

Offline anw0625

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I just got done talking to Fred and he said that he uses standard inserts and not brass.
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
That was a great shot on that couse deer.Then later I watched the Nuge gut shoot a california blacktail deer and shot him in ass in follow up shot.Then he killed a monster blacktail with another ass shot.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
I meant it as a compliment Jerry.  If you consider a 35 yard shot like that with a recurve a gimme, you are a damned sight better at this  than I!
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
Rick Duggan was the first to take all 28 with traditional archery tackle. Fred got his 28th species very shortly afterwards. When P&Y added the 29th species, Tule elk, Fred then became the first to take all 29 with a stickbow.
O okay, cool.  I had no idea, that was just my guess.
~Chris Shelton

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Shelton:

He's also one of a very select few who has taken a head of every species of North American big game with recurve. [/b]

Anybody know what channel it was on? [/QB]
There are a few actually... I know Fred Eichler is the only one to do it with a recurve, but Chuck Adams was the first to do it with a compound bow.  Easton named its XX78 "SuperSlam" arrow after Adams' accomplishment.

I think we all daydream about hunting professionally... and certainly I WISH I had the resources to even consider doing a superslam!  Heck, I was toying with the idea of trying for the turkey slam and even that seems a stretch for my pocket... going to have to settle for the game of New England, and specifically CT!  I'm just hoping the DEP opens a bear season for us soon    :pray:
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Wald:
CHRIS: - Grand Slam

Most of us could probably do the grand slam too if we had the money and the time to do it. It takes some time to do because of seasons tags availability etc, but it's doable,
O I know that it is definatly a costly thing!  Fred himself said he probably wouldnt have been able to do it if he were not a outfitter.  Because he traded hunts with other outfitters!

Plus I left out a very important detail!!!  There are only two people to accomplish this great feat, and the third one is one the way . . .  :bigsmyl:  ME  :biglaugh: , lol.  I wish.
~Chris Shelton

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
I forgot to ask him in my email, but does anyone know what kind of rest he uses on his Dorado? Haven't got a close enough look to tell the times he's had it on TV...

Heck, I won't even be able to accomplish the Trad Gang Not-So-Super Slam, let alone the official one!  :D
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrpenguin:
There are a few actually... I know Fred Eichler is the only one to do it with a recurve, but Chuck Adams was the first to do it with a compound bow.  Easton named its XX78 "SuperSlam" arrow after Adams' accomplishment.

I think we all daydream about hunting professionally... and certainly I WISH I had the resources to even consider doing a superslam!  Heck, I was toying with the idea of trying for the turkey slam and even that seems a stretch for my pocket... going to have to settle for the game of New England, and specifically CT!  I'm just hoping the DEP opens a bear season for us soon     :pray:  
Right Chuck is the first of 9 to accomplish the super slam, but we are talking about the TRADITIONAL slam  :) , tad difference.  The guy that is the poster boy for gander mountian did it too I think.  There are a few.
~Chris Shelton

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
OHH!!

And Fred is an amazing shot with a recurve.  I've watched all 4 season of Easton Bowhunting multiple times and the shots he makes are pretty impressive... but he, too, misses  ;)
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Right, Chris, got ya!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
everyone misses, a fellow did a article in Traditional bowhunter about it, big names like Mr Don tomas, Tj, Glen St Charles ect.  They had some good stories about those fine misses too.  I read most of Fred Bears bio, and even he missed!!!  So I am not that worried about it.  I miss all the time, but only missed once at big game . . . nock on wood!
~Chris Shelton

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
How about those New Orleans Saints?!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who Dat!!!!!

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
No tradbow a 35 yard shot is not a gimme...but I would bet dollars to donuts that if you shot at a rabitt sized target or fox target (depending on your eyesight of course) at ten yards then 15 yards then 17 yards and then 20 yards and do increments like 3 yards (over time) you would be surprised that your mind would figure it out.

I remember a huge 4x4 muley buck I missed once. He was 20 yards max (or so i thought) because his body size was so big and the target I was using WASN'T it was a smaller deer target.

So what your mind calculates (to me anyway) is size and distance of previuos input.

So I shot - well I was WAY LOW - he was just under 30 paces, but because he was SO BIG he looked closer.

the arrow hit harmlessly short and he bounced away.

Jer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©