3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Eichler-Amazing Recurve Shot!  (Read 1712 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Eichler-Amazing Recurve Shot!
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:

Originally posted by Chris Shelton:

He's also one of a very select few who has taken a head of every species of North American big game with recurve. [/b]
Actually he is one of 2 people in the world to ever complete the North American Traditional Slam!!!  It is Fred Eichler, and I beleive Fred Bear?  But that is just my guess???

Anybody know what channel it was on? [/b]
Rick Duggan was the first to take all 28 with traditional archery tackle. Fred got his 28th species very shortly afterwards. When P&Y added the 29th species, Tule elk, Fred then became the first to take all 29 with a stickbow. [/QB]
I checked up on this... Duggin was the first and I stand corrected...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Wald:
I remember a huge 4x4 muley buck I missed once. He was 20 yards max (or so i thought) because his body size was so big and the target I was using WASN'T it was a smaller deer target.
That is why you should have a set up like me, where I have a tiny riverbottom 3d, and then a glen del full rut, except the little deer has finally died, and I need to either patch the foam somehow or buy a new body!  So I should be good from everything to a coues and fliped to a moose  :biglaugh:
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Except for when, "Mr. Yips" shows his ugly face (8^).

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
A little bird told me Fred is heading down under for a hunt soon enough...
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
I just wish I still had hair like him!

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
He is one of my favorites.

I wish I could make a 35 yrd shot.  :(
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
amicus,  there is absolutely no reason that you can't learn to hit very well at 35 yards.   When we shot field rounds, the 35 yard target was one of my favorites.  You need to get out to a range that has targets past 30 yards, and shoot to find your point-on (a point at which your arrow point is on the center of the target at full draw, and hits that spot)  Mine is between 52 and 58 yards...give or take, and depending on bow.

Even if you are a so-called instinctive shooter, you will find yourself shooting better as you develop longer range skills.  Form is everything, and follow-through is key on every shot (keeping the bow arm in position until the arrow hits the target).

That said, most shots are much closer, and deer shouldn't be quartering to you when you shoot.  Just sayin'.   8^).

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I think watching terry shoot in his videos are amazing...all different body angles and those arrows are grouped...well better than most I would say.

But I am sure he practices all the time and if that shot came up in a real situation I am sure he wouldn't hesitate to take it.....maybe I am wrong...but don't think so.

jer

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
I dont know guys I shoot often, almost every other day in the summer.  And I wouldnt hesitate to take that shot . . . IF I was sure I could make it.  My good buddy, passes on a shot that I would have taken in a heart beat.  And do I blame him?  No because he saw things differntly.  If you really think about it, what is 35 yards?  I can almost spit that far, lol.  But I definatly agree with George, if you practice past your maximum range you will find that your maximum will more comforatable!
~Chris Shelton

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Quartering toward? No shot.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I practice out to 40yds almost everyday and wouldnt hesitate to take a 35yd shot at anytime.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
I'm a Fred fan. He's got one of the best shows out there, and he seems to be a great sport. I like his attitude as well. I wonder if he needs a co-host???

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
Fred is a very capable archer no doubt!

He has the energy and love of this addiction that makes me believe that he actually gives a rats rear end about hunting and not just the industry.

He is one of few I watch regularly.  Ticked me off when they changed the name from "Easton bowhunting tv" to "bowhunting tv" because my dvr missed it for months.

A good buddy of mine was on the recent antelope hunt, he was the goofy joker holding the caped out skull next to Fred at the end of the show.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline zip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Fred's on twice a week. I know for sure this week he was on tuesday at 4:30 est. I believe he's on the outdoor channel. The best one I saw was when the sow grizzly charged the canoe him and his guide were in. The guide fired a pistol shot in front of the bear to turn her. She was super close.

Offline Bill Sagues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
One thing I got of the MBB video is that Fred claims to never use field points.  He does all of his practice with broadheads.  Might contribute to his confidence/ability to take a 35 yard shot at live game.  Never seen his TV show - don't get cable, but did enjoy his segment in MBB.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
If my wife was involved with Muzzy and I was on their pro staff, I would just shoot Muzzy broadheads too!

To the folks who are saying "no big deal" about this shot, I wonder how many could make it, particularly with a world class trophy buck as the target?  

Let's remove the big buck from the picture.  Wonder how many could make it stone cold with the first shot, or would maybe need a couple 2-3 to get on target?
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
All I know is He is, by far, one of the most genuine on TV to watch. Any of his shows are first class. He has a passion for everything he does and lives it to the max. Gotta respect that. Awesome shot too!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
I'm surprised to read he only shoots 54#... That dude got some guns on him!

Another point for shooting only enough weight for what is needed and see what accuracy can result.

Course, my arthritic ole butt can't handle 54# anymore which is why my Morrison recurve limbs are for sale. I'm sure Fred could handle a lot more weight and for the breadth of game he hunts, that says something... don't need high draw weight to 'git er done'.   :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
trabow - devils advocate here..tee hee..do you think he practiced a few shots from the blind before the hunt...again I didn't see the shot so i could have my head up my butt.

I would not get in a setup situation (not roving) and not practice shots from there all around me where an animal could appear so I was confident enough to take a shot.

Maybe that's just me, but I don't think so.

Again I am not taking away from the shot...but was it the only one he took or was it the one that hit perfectly that they chose to air.

Again I don't know him - I do know about sponsors and I do know about results and expectaions for moneys given.

I saw the shot Fred bear took on a running sheep where he half drew on him and got him..AWESOME shot...but if he had missed would it be on the video....hmmm

I saw HH shoot a hawk in  a tree...if he would have missed would it be on the video...hmm

Now I think I will stay quiet on this subject before every one thinks I hate Fred or I am just an a$$hole.

Hoepfully you realize I am neither.

Jer Bear

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
I wonder if you are allowed to shoot broadheads in ASA?  I know you can not in IBO.  I bet if you shoot with him he is deadly on other arrows with broadheads!
~Chris Shelton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©