3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I found out why I should shoot left wing out of my new bow  (Read 911 times)

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I found out why I should shoot left wing out of my new bow
« on: April 19, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »

This is what happened when I shot my right wing parabolics. It doesn't look like much but its pretty painfull. Took me a while to figure it out cause I thought the nock was nicking my hand but whe I loaded a left wing arrow,,,, perfection,,, shot about a dozen more times none hitting my hand.
The new bow I have has a small shelf,,smaller than I've ever shot. I like it but don't like gettin cut up...God bless JB
TGMM

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I found out why I should shoot left wing out of my new bow
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Yup, the LW spins away from a righties hand, ya could still shoot right with but ya would need to adjust your nocks, like cock vane in would help or shooting cock vane up so the soft party of the feather strikes your hand. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Gotta Tip for ya......I'm right handed and I shoot right wing.......Why?....if I'm rippin my bowhand all the heck and back.....my bow and arrow aint tuned.

If you've got the bow dialed in, and the arrow spined right, left or right wont make a difference.

Least that's what I've found.....and why I shoot right wing.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
I agree with Terry! What is scuffing your hand is the leading edge of the feather, you probably did not put a drop or two of glue on that spot, then when the glue is dry, take a smooth shank of a screwdriver and burnish it down, No more biting your hand.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
Can you raise the nocking point or twist the nock?
I've had same thing happen with left wing on my left(bow) hand.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Left or right wing should make no difference if the arrow is properly tuned. The arrow has not begun to rotate before it clears the shelf (from what I have read).
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline JiminTexas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
If the bow and arrow combination are properly set up there is just no way that the arrow is going to spin enough between where the nock leaves the string and the fletching reaches the bow hand. The distance that we are talking about here is something less than you brace height. That's almost 1/3rd of a turn in about 8" of flight? That's one revolution every two feet! I've watched enough asrrows fly the 25 yards or so to the target butt to know that they aren't spinning that fast!
Younger money, faster whiskey, older women and more horses.....or something like that..

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Better yet trim the leading edge with a razor knife or roll it wiyh a piece of arrow shaft to taper the front of the quill down , then aply a drop of glue to the front and you wont have this problem . Right or left makes no difference.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
It's not the quil that cuts, it's the fletching.
I have sime right wing Highback shields that cut me....\\Butt if i shoot with the cockfeather in they don't cut...
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »
It's not the spin, guys.  On a right helical arrow the leading edge o fthe feather points down towards your bow hand.  On a left helical feather it points up.  

I have the same issue.  Smoothing the leading edge helps ( I always do it anyway ), but the problem is still there.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Left hand, right wing. Right hand, left wing. That's been the rule for as long as I can remember.   :readit:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
The arrow CANNOT start spinning until it leaves the string (the 2 ears on the nock around the string prevent that)and the arrow doesn't leave the string until it gets well below brace height.

In tests that we did years ago with a piece of metal inserted into the the riser on the shelf, the metal would leave a "straight" scratch mark on the cresting of the arrow all the way to the nock indicating to us that the arrow actually didn't start spinning until after it left the bow.

One would think that with paradox the arrow would bend out away from the riser but that's not what our tests showed. Confusing as all get out, seeing as how I've seen slow motion video of arrows bending in all sorts of ways coming out of a bow, but that's what happened when we experimented with it.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline hawksnest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
"Left hand, right wing. Right hand, left wing. That's been the rule for as long as I can remember"

That's what I was told in 1958 when I started to shoot, and I'm right handed, and have shot left wing all my life.  Bill G.

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
Raise your nock point a tad and the leak will stop.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
My setup is 60#@28" Bear Kodiak magnum. I'm shooting a 2117 @ 29" with about 150 grains up front the shaft weighs about 12.2gr per inch. Total arrow weight with all inserts and all comes in about 530 roughly so its 8.7 gr,per,#   I beleive that combo is good and seems to fly great with my BH's and feild points..

I tried some 2216 and they did the same,,Jeff Strubberg mentioned the fletch turned upward and I've read about this in become the arrow where the arrow can do this to your hand.. excellent feed back as always from everyone and I hope this can add a little light the old question about lefty or righty..

Havin way to much fun,,
 Jason B.
TGMM

Offline soaring eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
I have had left and right wing scuff my hand when set up not properly tuned

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
I am right handed and have always shot right wing helical and have never had a problem.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
did you try raising the nocking point?
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
I shot more today,, all seems great with the setup. The left wing feather doesn't cut my hand and when I use a higher wrist it helps,
TGMM

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
Yes I did. When I did that I started to get the up down kick in my arrows so I played with it until my BH's hit like my feild points and flew the same. I may have a big hand for this shelf. As I draw my bow the meat builds up and if I hold lower wrist it goes above the shelf and I can actually lift the arrow, When I hold high wrist its fine but close,, I'm going to give and elevated rest a try on this bow and see how that goes.

Couple pics,,

small shelf

high wrist just holding the bow

Low wrist just holding the bow and as I draw it gets worst in height.

TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©