3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you have a setup like fred eichler?  (Read 612 times)

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you have a setup like fred eichler?
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
I am getting impatient trying to figure out what kind of speed fred is getting out of his bow.  I have found through reading that he has a [email protected] 62" palmer recurve with arrows just under 500 grain.  If any of you long arm guys have a bow like fred could you please chrony it with that weight arrow and tell me what speed your getting?
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you have a setup like fred eichler?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
I'm gonna guess (my specs are "close"...OK...except for the DL  :p  )....it's +/-200fps.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
I shoot a 60" Palmer 57# @ 29 1/2" and 550 gr. arrows and like GMMAT I am guessing it in the mid 190's. Never got to shoot it thru a chrono but, would like to.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Draw length makes a big difference.  Watched a video on here earlier where 2 inches of draw changed the speed over 20 fps

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
I shoot with a guy some times with draw where doesn't cut is arrows.  Don't know the speed but with a 600 grain arrow on 3D targets the arrows were regularly was sticking out the other side.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Back in 2004 I hunted with Fred down at Mike Palmers place. We were shooting at a tennis ball stuck in a hay bale at about 40 yards and Fred's arrow looked like it was pretty flat out to the 40 yards. By the way Fred kicked my butt that day and he was nailing that tennis ball arrow after arrow. I hadshot with him before a bunch of times but he really has gotten good these past years.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
I'm giving him the benefit of the extra DL (mine is 28-3/4")....and for 2 extra #'s of DW.

I shoot my 52# (at my DL) 181fps with the same arrow weight (as Fred).  I think I'm giving the setup a lot of credit (guessing +/- 200fps).

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Fred does shoot well that is for sure. I have a Palmer 60" 57@28 and shooting a FMJ 400 that is a little under 500gr I can shoot it in the high 180 low 190(188-191). I had another person shoot it with a longer draw as I am right on the 28 mark. Drawn to 29 in it was about 195. So I would say that right around 200 with that light of and arrow is about right.

Why is this an obbsesion of yours???
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
I shot with Fred when he had his first Palmer and worked at an Archery shop in Fort Collins at that time I believe his bow weight was 54# and he was shooting 2114's at just under 500grains. We were shooting through the crono and he was getting mid to high 190's.
    I was shooting a 61# Black Widow basically the same arrow at my 28" draw and getting around the same speed (wish I had a 30" draw!)
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
should be in the 190-195 range
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
ok thanks guys.  I am trying to put together a momentum calculation based on dr. ed's math. Fred has acomplished the super slam so if I can get a setup that matches him then I know I can kill anything.

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
looks like fred is getting around .424 to .435 momentum on the high and low side of his setup. My deer bow is only getting .350 so I guess i need to step it up. My 63# predator is getting .475 momentum (estimated) so I guess that will work for the big stuff.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
The most important aspect of taking the Superslam, is to spend the money and hunt for those critters.  It don't matter squat if you are using Fred's setup, or using a 55# Kodiak Magnum, cedar arrows, and Bear Razorheads.  

Perfectly flying arrows will trump any momentum figure, or any KE figure.  There are no Asiatic Buffalo in the N.A. Superslam 8^))))).  Now if you are going after the African Big 5, then MO may be much more important.

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
There are people who turkey hunt with 2 3/4 " shells and guys who use 3 1/2 shells.

Im just a 3 1/2 shell kind of guy.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I can see that. 8^).  My daddy in law has killed more turkeys in his lifetime than anyone I have ever known.  He uses a Charles Daly Over/Under, 12 ga. with 2 3/4" high brass 4's.  But then, he is a good turkey hunter and knows how to get them close.  Reminds me of a bowhunter 8^)))).

I'm a 2 3/4 shell kind of guy.

P.S.... In all fairness, we should mention that Fred has another aspect in his setup that helps him in his quest for game....a wife who owns the Muzzy Company.    :thumbsup:   And she hunts with him and is cute as a button.    :biglaugh:

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
On the DVD where Fred Eichler goes after his grizzly or polar bear (maybe both are on the same dvd), he talks about getting a new set of limbs so he can keep his arrow speed the same with heavier arrows.  Seems like he says he's getting in the mid to high 180's.

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
hmmm interesting.  Well truth is it will be a while before I get into anything bigger than pigs or deer.  I think I will be ok but I have that 63# bow just in case.

George, I did not know about freds wife owning muzzy. I knew she was cute but.... I wish I had his luck.  Goes to show you should follow your passion. Maybe someday I can afford a house and get out of my apartment.  Then I will have a garage to build bows in... Then I can quit my job and make bows.... I wish for that every day of my life. (already have a good girl but she doesnt own a broadhead company)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
George said it,,, I shoot a palmer and its a nice bow but I can stand here and say that the arrow when flying through the air cares if my Hill, widow preditor or palmer shot it..

Freds sponsers helped out alot in that slam but you still have to wake up in the morning and get out there and I'm sure theres some pressure involved where most of us could care less we got skunked that day or not.  

and I don't use shotguns but I once threw a pack of firecrackers at a turkey standing on the sidewalk in the suburbs and it ran into a parked car, ha ha ha....
"Us vs Them"

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I like that 3 1/2 shell comment. I'm gonna borrow that one.
CJ

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I agree about his wife being cute as a button.  :D  
Don't have a clue about him or what he shoots however.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©