3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Warning About Malware Images on Trad Gang  (Read 737 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
A Warning About Malware Images on Trad Gang
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
THIS ONLY AFFECTS MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEMS
(Win2K, XP, Vista, Win7, etc.)

There are reports of image borne malware apps floating around PhotoBucket images.    

Malware/spyware/virus intrusions appear to be traveling around on other photo imaging sources as well, not just PhotoBucket.  

These infected images can contaminate your pc.

If possible, it's advised to run anti-virus, malware and spyware apps in your pc.

The alternative is to not use any Microsoft operating system.  Rather than ditching your pc and spending lots of buck$ on an Apple Mac, consider installing a Linux operating system.  For further info, click  HERE
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bigkid

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Warning About Malware Images on Trad Gang
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
It is not just Trad gang,
I went to 2 different major retailers web sites last night and Both were stopped from loading Because of Malware!

Avg is Good at catching thoose

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
Hey Rob

I was very glad to see you post this thread, as I think folks might not see all of the other thread on the Photobucket virus (Malware) issue.

I got it last Friday as well.  I was uploading pics to photobucket, and zap.  It took over my computer.  I am not that computer savvy, but enough to know that the "WARNINGS" I was getting that my antivirus software was not working (It was and updated, but just didn't catch this malware).  The malware directed me to their (the malware authors) web site, where I would be "allowed" to purchase some software to "cure" the problem.  I assumed that this was phony and they were just trying to get my credit card info.  I did not purchase, of course, and immeditaly shut down my internet connection, but too late.

Long story short, 4 days and $50 later. I have a disinfected computer, and not feeling to friendly towards WINDOWS!     :mad:          :knothead:    

I download every security software update, ran an antivirus, and spyware detector.  None of it worked.

Thanks for the tip on LINUX.      :thumbsup:    

Looks like I am going to install a new operating system.  Don't know why I hadn't done that years ago.
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
The worst of these bugs is the Vundoo virus.  You will know if you get it, as you will start getting popups warning you about the 2,156 infections on your machine.

Malwarebytes does a pretty good job of cleaning this junk up and is a freely available download.  Linux is a great option, assuming you can run everything you want to on it.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
when i started getting serious about linux 3 years or so ago, i used it (ubuntu linux) in a dual boot with windows xp.  this way i used linux strictly for the web and email, then xp for apps like office, coding, images, cd/dvd burning, etc.

linux mint apps have gotten SO much better in the last year that now i use it exclusively.  there is very very little need for me to mess with microsoft.  i have 5 pcs and 4 are dedicated with linux mint, the 5th is a dual boot with linux and win7 ultimate (for games for the grandkids  :D  ).

if it sounds like i'm pushing linux mint over billy boy's ms os, YOU BET!

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
I love my Mac  :)
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Rob, is Linux "crap" proof?, or is it just that no one has bothered to produce any "crap" that bothers it yet.

Eric

Offline ballen28115

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
My wife's laptop got nailed last week, Malwarebytes cleaned it right up.  Jeff's comment above is spot on, this is a free download and I'd recommend doing the right thing and buying the software if you become a regular user.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
i had that malware crap screw up my pc and cost me over $100 to get it fixed.
Richard Battistoni

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
Rob, is Linux "crap" proof?, or is it just that no one has bothered to produce any "crap" that bothers it yet.

Eric
About half and half.  Linux is much harder to write bugs for because it doesn't hand out elevated privileges the way Windows does.  Linux is also a much smaller target that Windows.   Nobody writes adware for Linux when they can get 100 times the opportunities by writing a new Windows bug.

Also, Linux is customizable in ways Windows simply won't allow.  There's a very small amount of code that a virus writer can rely on a Linux box having for him to call.  The rest is a guess.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:

Eric
linux is based on unix, and yes it is very very hard to crack unlike ms os which is fraught with open holes just waiting to let in the bad guys,

unix has been and still is the defacto ubiquitous commercial and government operating system worldwide.

did i mention that  www.linuxmint.  com is FREE - no cost, no strings attached, and comes with a KILLER built in suite of applications and software.  as a web creator and coder and image manipulator, it's all i use.

bye bye billy boy ..................  :D

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
I've used Ubuntu linux for the last few years...extremely easy to install and use.

http://www.ubuntu.com

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I figured the the small Linux population was part of the reason.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
I do an update before I check my emails EVERY TIME as well as when I first turn on my computer EVERYTIME. DON't rely on updating your protection once a day. You might just miss the update
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Thanks Rob, for the info, I might give it a whirl.

Eric

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Guys

Thanks for the tip on MalwareBytes.  
I just downloaded it.  Ran it, and it did find one malware on my PC

The PC that I just had cleaned professionally yesterday ($50)  :mad:  .  Installed NEW anti-virus software (BitDefender) full version, just downloaded upgrades, and just full scanned 1 hr ago.  In spite of all that Malware Bytes still found one malware virus..    sheesh.  :thumbsup:
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
I have had Norton anti virus for some years now. I had one of those intrusive websites that showed up at bootup. It took a day but Norton "fixed" it with an update. Yea, Windows is a pain but Unix has never really marketed their product like Bill Gates did. IBM stumbled with their OS like Sony did their WalkMan.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by acadian archer:
I do an update before I check my emails EVERY TIME as well as when I first turn on my computer EVERYTIME. DON't rely on updating your protection once a day. You might just miss the update
the best thing to do with emails is to make sure your email app doesn't display images or html code.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
Man you guys got off cheap at $50 and $100 cost me $225 to clean mine.  I was on photo bucket also, so that must be where I got it too.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
What Rob just wrote works very well. I have my OutLook set up like that. I use the preview pane also. That way I do not open evey email. I trash the stuff I do not want. That way the sender does not get a hit from me. Sooner or later they quit sending to me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©