3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Warning About Malware Images on Trad Gang  (Read 738 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Warning About Malware Images on Trad Gang
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Great thread Rob. Do a search on Photobucket Malware and you will be amazed. I have 4 cpu's. Three Windows and a Mac. Mac's been up and running issue free for six years without spending and extra dime on it for anything. By the time I've spent all the money fixing, repairing and protecting the window's machines believe me the Mac prices for the added performance and lack of issues are worth every penny.

Thanks Rob.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I see I am not alone I had the same problem last week when I went to Photobucket to post a picture here. It cost me $100.00 to fix so it looks like I am in the mid range on computer cleanup expense. Very frustrating!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
microsoft is such a humongous target for bugware that it makes perfect sense never to do any internet work with windows.

get a free copy of linux mint, and either replace or add it to your pc along side your windows operating system, and only use linux for access the web or email.  

for the vast number of average users you will most likely never ever need windows for any applications except maybe games.  think of linux as a pc version of the mac (though it surely isn't).  you will have bug free peace of mind and your wallet will thank you far sooner than later.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Just got it too - most likely from photobucket.
Malewarebytes does take it out - but you have to run it after booting up in the safe mode. Going to look at the linux - thanks Rob.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
I can't quite figure it out, how much does linux mint cost? I used Unix for work a while back and it was great, I am really thinking about trying it out for my PC.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
I've been running a dual boot system(Win XP and PCLinuxOS)for seven years.There are some things,priority software ,that you have to use Windows.I rarely boot into Win XP as it makes me say words my mama wouldn't approve of.
 My wife and two college sons run Windows,people fight change, so I get the opportunity at least once per year of reformatting their hard drives and reinstalling Windows whatever,XP,Vista and now Win7.If you use Windows you NEED to do this once per year regardless.
 I am the one eyed man in the land of the blind in my neighborhood so I help my neighbors keep their windows machines running.The newer machines are relatively easy to restore,older machines can take hours
 I must admit that a few years ago my linux operating system went kaput.It took me a whole twenty minutes to reinstall and be up and running again.
 Visit  http://distrowatch.com/  and you can download linux distributions for free and burn a live CD or buy the CDs for $2.95 plus shipping.Make sure to download or purchase a live CD. Linux  operating systems will run from the CD and if you have enough ram the whole system will load into ram and run very fast.You do not have to install anything.Its like a test drive to see if you like it.If you decide to install find someone with a little know how the first time and you can have a dual boot system with windows and Linux.If you choose to run your computer from a live CD you don't need a hard drive in the computer just a usb stick to save things to.I've ran computers for months with no hard drive.
Linux is faster,more secure and free.There is a learning curve but with a dual boot system you can take your time.If I sat you in front of my laptop to surf the Internet,read E-mail instant message the only thing you would notice was how fast it was.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chester Thompson:
I can't quite figure it out, how much does linux mint cost? I used Unix for work a while back and it was great, I am really thinking about trying it out for my PC.
chester, you didn't really read through this thread didja?  linux mint is ..... FREE

Offline 2manybows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
I was wondering does it only infect your computer if you use photo bucket or similar sites or does it happen just by opening pages on sites that have them uploaded from there ? Ex.. someone posts a picture here on the forums and we open that thread that has the picture.. are we infected ?

Offline MJW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Another happy Linux user here. I use PClinuxOS...

PCLinuxOS
-
-

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2manybows:
I was wondering does it only infect your computer if you use photo bucket or similar sites or does it happen just by opening pages on sites that have them uploaded from there ? Ex.. someone posts a picture here on the forums and we open that thread that has the picture.. are we infected ?
no matter where the infected image resides, you unknowingly click on it, your pc gets infected.

Offline 2manybows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Rob... Thanks for the heads up !!!

Offline 2manybows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Also.. can you give some examples of what happens from the result of the malware.. I ran 3 of my security tools and nothing is showing up.. but I want to make sure.

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2manybows:
Also.. can you give some examples of what happens from the result of the malware.. I ran 3 of my security tools and nothing is showing up.. but I want to make sure.
I was getting a bunch of "pop ups" that looked like Windows warnings,(but were probably not and part of the malware) saying that my computer was infected with a virus, and that my anti virus software was not working.
No matter what I clicked on, I got pretty much the same message, and without warning Internet Explorer would open and try to load a web page.  I had turned off my modem by then so it didn't load, but I could see by the URL that it was something about purchasing software.  I guess to clean the system, but most likely a scam to just get your credit card info.  I had known enough to turn the modem off, so nothing else was lost, but I was infected.  It would not let me run my anti-virus (AVG Free), which missed it anyway.

Now I know, I could have done a reboot in the safe mode, and might have been able to clean it that way, but too late for that..lol.

All I use a computer for is Internet and email so LINUX here we come.

I used to have to have a "Windows" PC to run CAD software, but retired and no more..       :D
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
I am a recent linux convert,so I'm still figuring some things out.I have tried about 6 different types of linux and have settled for now on Mint for my main PC but have another that I still switch around.One thing I didnt know when people started talking about linux is...there are dozens of linux operating systems.
 Another thing worth mentioning about linux is that many of them,you can test run on your pc before you install it by putting in a disc and re-booting.when you remove the disc you havent changed anything-it runs slower that way,but if your nervous?
 And to be honest I have not been able to get my linux to download Itunes for my kids or work with some of my windows program cds yet.so we do still have windows,but havent used it in a while-were getting used to it.
 Hope thats helpful.
   Robert
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
in my experience you are much better off to buy the full versions of security software compared to getting their free versions. You get what you pay for.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
the problem with any windows 'security software' is two fold -

1. you must keep it updated and even if you do, you may still get bugged because your security vendor didn't inoculate your pc in time.

2. you're using a windows os, THE prime target for hackers worldwide.  they don't bother with any other operating system.  you will get hacked, sooner or later.  period.

worse than hackers are the virtual intruders than turn your personal pc into a zombie for relaying the nasties all over the world.  don't think this could ever happen to you on your windows machine? think again ....

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
I believe this may solve a riddle that happened to me this week. I bought a set of limbs for my Zipper from a fellow TG'er, and during our emails one came from him which was legit, but had an attachment. I opened it to see a file in "win.dat" format. I couldn't open it, so it led me ultimately to a site where I needed to purchase some software. I got out of there and tried to delete anything associated with it, but I'm not confident. The fellow confirmed it was not from him. This is the first time someone actually attached something to a legit email. It's getting scary out there. I'm getting the Linux Mint today. Thanks Rob for the help!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
malware is so nasty that all you have to do is insert an infected cd, dvd or flashdrive into your pc, and without you doing anything else it will infect and corrupt your machine.  

at this point, i think that most malware is looking to zombie your computer into a bot net that is used to attack and bring servers/domains to a halt.  you've read about these attacks on corporations and the dept of defense.

the defense against malware and bot nets isn't keeping up with how fast these nasty, but very clever folks can attack just about any pc anywhere in the world.  

all of the above, and more, forced my lazy butt to start finding a pc alternative to windows.

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
I only switched to linux because windows crashed on me and wouldnt even boot up-But all I would need is to buy another windows operating system,wipe my drive and reinstall.But having an older computer it would be worth it to just buy a new one.I am unemployed,but could just use a credit card.   "[dntthnk]"  
 Linux mint was free. not a free trial-free
I wont say its perfect or that anyone else has to do it but it was about my only option that made any sense and its working for me
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Got my PC back last week, due to my anti virus expired and WHAM, virus attached. I also noticed it was just after coming here to Tradgang, wasn't thinking photobucket.
A good friend that fixed my problem also recommended Linux. He has been running it for months with NO PROTECTION, without any problems. He's a puter geek. Next Saturday, he will be putting the Linux on for me, and straightening out some other stuff. Thanks for the thread, it reinforces what I already knew.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©