3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow for a 5 year old  (Read 402 times)

Offline CaliCreole

• Trad Bowhunter
bow for a 5 year old
« on: February 11, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
I have a question, Im going to get my boy a bow and not really sure wha tto get him (size, weight etc) like i said he is 5 Im guessing he needs something under 20 #'s and I only have about $50 2 spend here are the ones i found so far.
 http://www.3riversarchery.com/Youth+Archery+Bow+Sets++1st+Shot+Junior+Set_c16_s234_p0_i2379_product.html

http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/bearpawrobinhoodbowsstartingat4395.aspx

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Robin-Hood-Bow/productinfo/4751/

any suggestions
Bear State Archers
Riverside archers
Martin Bushmaster 55#

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow for a 5 year old
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
You can make a very serviceable bow for a kid with a board or small cutoff piece if you are handy at all. It just has to propel the arrow while they get started then get a nicer one when they are bigger. Or wait til someone who knows more than me gives you better advice. My son is 5 in april and he shoots a stick with a string and seems to be happy with it for now.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Check your local Craigslist.  I bought three PSE Buckeye bows for $50 total.  They are rated at about 25# but that's at 28".  My grandkids can't pull them anywhere near that far.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline CaliCreole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
btw he is 42.5 inches tall and 39#'s if that helps. im kinda nervous about making him a board bow, me and my buddy made one and it snapped popping him in the face (dont want that to happen to my son) checked my local craigs list not many trad guys selling stuff in my area thought about **** but not sure about quality you get on there not being able to see and hold the bow before buying it.
Bear State Archers
Riverside archers
Martin Bushmaster 55#

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Check out Maddog Traditional Archery. I've heard good things about his "Pup" model. For $95.00 you get a custom made bow with 4 arrows and you can choose the draw weight and wood. Might be worth the extra money.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
X2 for Maddog
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline CaliCreole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
what would ya'll reccomend for draw weight? 15#'s?
Bear State Archers
Riverside archers
Martin Bushmaster 55#

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
I have one of the all fiberglass black bear bows that is dual shelfed,I don't remember what it pulls but 15 pounds or so would be my guess. I would be happy to send it to you for him to use. It dosn't have a string but i am sure someone here could make you one for alittl of nothing. If you want it for your little one just PM me your mailing address and i will get it out!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Another vote for Maddog.  Call Mike and talk to him.  I bought one for my girlfriend's 3 yr old son for Christmas.  Nice little bow, I'm sure your son is up for a little more but its a nice bow.

Mike will take the time to discuss things with you and help you make the right choice.

Nick
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
That little all fiberglass bow from 3Rivers is what I would get him.At his age you want something indestructable and cheap.About 10-12 pounds max.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
i also have a fiberglass bow he could have, maybe 15# at 20". If you decide on the bow that Adeeden has, i would be more than happy to make a string for you. Just shoot me a PM and let me know what you think.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline patvro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Check out vermonster13 post on the PowWow for a kids bow giveaway just put in your childs name and I think they are drawing saturday.
Waiting for october.

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
check out the site for Black Rhino bows as well..

Offline buckrunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Black Rhino's are great bows for the price plus, I believe there is a trade in value. My son was about 6 when he got his { 10lb draw } and we had no complaints.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
When my son was that age I would make him bows from Vine Maple limbs and other bow woods that were handy. That is what I enjoyed using at his age too. He got his first 'real' bow at age 9. 20# is way too much for a 5 year old.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
the Pup that I got from Mike for my 3 year old, he'll be 4 in a couple months, is a 20#@21". Sounds like alot, but he only draws about 11" which puts him at around 10#. I figure he will be able to grow with it.
He really enjoys his Pup and can get it to full draw pretty easily. I went with the higher weight because he kept pulling his 15#@20" glass bow back to his ear. I did not want him to hurt himself and he wanted his bow to shoot like his brother's bow. Everybody looks for performance, but I didn't know until recently that it started so young...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
I also have a fiberglass bow that he can have if you want it.
Just let me know.
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
The Bear bow from 3Rivers would be best right now and you can get it within a few days shipped to your door for under $30.00.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 03:54:00 AM »
The Bear "Cub" is the first bow I will be buying for my grandsons.
I like the fact they look just like a grown ups bow.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
bornagain has a good point - my 5 year old (4 last season) can pull a 15lb@20 bow back far (to his ear) and does so to "prove" he can, makes the arrow go faster and he knows it. I think the weight would be ideal if he would use it correctly - I don't think that's going to happen

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©