3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No Mercy vs. Grizzly  (Read 522 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
No Mercy vs. Grizzly
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Hey yall, was just wondering about broadheads as my new Kustom King catalog got here yesterday. Up till now, I've been planning on some 200 gr. Grizzlys to get some weight up front, but have heard they're a real "bear" to sharpen. So I started lookin, and wondered if them Zwickey No Mercy's with a woody weight would work as effectivly. Would they be easier to sharpen? And how well do them Woody Weight's work? Thanks!

Forgot to mention, I'm only lookin at single bevels.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No Mercy vs. Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Hey Not Ted.

I know it's not on the list but man I sure have had good luck with Abowyer's.  They are sharp out of the box, come in lot's of weights, not tough to sharpen and fly great.  Just my .02
Paul
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
I own and shoot both, the 160 grizley with 75 gn steel insert and the 130 single bevel No Mercy [ with 100 gn steel insert]

Both are great heads.  No mercy is easier to get the correct angle on and keep sharp with Lansky Sharpener.  I do like the wider cutting surface....

That being said.....If you use a good file and spend a bit of time attaining the prefered 25 deg angle on the edge... The grizley is a Very Good, tough broadhead.... Stays sharp and is easily touched up on the lansky or diamond lap after the initial filing.....With the thicker overall blade width I expect it works a bit better if heavy bone is encountered.

I took a pretty nice Muley Buck this year with a No Mercy and effectiveness was unbelievable.. Ribs in and out, lodged in the off shoulder, and about cut it off in the 3 bounds he was able to make after the hit. The first bound snapped the 5575 gold tip on entry side and stopped peneration.  
This Buck was down and out in 10 seconds... as fast  as, or faster than, many I have taken in my younger years with a 270 and showing as much or more wound dammage.

Make your choice, properly prepair the cut angle on either and rest assured.    :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Horne Shooter, Abowyers look awesome, but man, 50 bucks for 3 would kill me. I'm lookin at 12 Grizz or 12 Mercy's.

L.E., them No Mercy's are soundin a bit better...

Forgot to mention they'll be glue ons.   :campfire:

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I am using the single bevel left wing glue on No Mercy. I have had great results on whitetails. Killed six deer with these heads without any problems. I have no problem getting the heads sharp. Good Luck

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Seems to be some misinformation floating around out there.  The new Grizzlies are beveled at 25 degrees.  No need to rebevel them.  They're also thicker than no mercy so the cutting edge is wider.  And,they're true single bevel the full length of the blade.  No mercy's are triple laminated near the tip, which makes them a double bevel for the first third of their length. In short, the first third of the head doesn't contribute to (and may actually detract from) the head's turning as it enters tissue.

I've shot a lot of Zwickey double bevels for the past 30 years.  They're excellent heads.  But the no mercy just isn't a good single bevel design.  The Grizzly is a much better single bevel head. That being said, I'm shooting Abowyer single bevels because they're thicker yet, and there's a much better edge on them out of the box.  However, I would have no compunction about shooting Grizzlies at anything.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I agree withorion. The new heads are already ground and they have that long and lean taper to. The steel in the head is stronger too in grizzles. The no mercy head just seems to flimsy for me.  My vote goes to the el grande hands down.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Orion
I was giving info on the Grizley's I have on hand and am familiar with....by that, they are the older "origional" single bevels.  Mine did not come with the factory 25 Deg. bevel... granted they, or at least mine, are a full double thickness "full length" bevel and thicker than the No Mercy....But in the post mortum I preformed on my last buck.....the No Mercy DID ROTATE going thru the body..and that was with Rib contact both upon entry and exit !!!

I'm not trying to pass on "Misinformation" to anyone....I'll back off on my posts and leave all of this question and answer stuff to you "Experts"      :wavey:          :notworthy:          :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
gene, I will say the the effort is worth the reward on the grizzers. I got mine to the twentyfive  degree with a diamond sharpener and about six hours apiece. That was out of the box to shaving on both sides. It took forever, but if the new ones weren't here I would do it again. The good thing is they stay sharp. I passed through a turkey and could still shave a bit.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Okay, I didn't realize there were new grizzlies but I just looked in my KK and by god it says, *New*. That may have made up my mind there as the main thing keeping me away was the sharpening difficulty. Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it. Still have some time to decide before next fall too.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 01:47:00 AM »
yup, go w/ griz

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
hello folk's

everybody is right here   :thumbsup:  

but i never shoot wood so i can't help you about the woodie question   :confused:
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I prefer the No Mercy.'s larger cutting diameter...and yes they WILL/DO rotate same as a grizz.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
L.E., I misunderstood one of your comments about the wider cutting edge.  I thought you meant the size of the bevel on the blade.  Upon re-reading, it's clear that you were talking about the blade width.  Yep.  Zwickeys are a bit wider.

Trapper, I wasn't suggesting that the No Mercy's don't rotate, just that they' may not be as efficient as they could be because they are not single bevel their entire length.

Offline jbuck9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
My son tried the no mercy last year, shooting a 51# PGA at his draw 26 1/2" with a 2016 legacy and a sharp no mercy shot into a piece of marine plywood at 30 yards 3/4" thick, the no mercy had 3/4's of the blade sticking out the far side and the cut was in an s shape, that opened my eyes too single bevels.For deer I would say the no mercy is plenty if I was going too africa, or for moose I think I'd go with a Grizz.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Ounce the initial bevel on the Grizzleys of 25 degrees is obtained they are much easier to sharpen. I had Ron at KME do that first grind for me. They are a real nice head.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by jbuck9:
For deer I would say the no mercy is plenty if I was going too africa, or for moose I think I'd go with a Grizz.
I don't know... Denny Sturgis Jr has taken a couple of water buffalo with the no mercy and I was with him when he shot a Canadian moose with a no mercy this last fall in B.C.  Seemed to work just fine on those large animals too.  I wouldn't hesitate using one myself.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Now ya'll er gettin me back to the No Mercy's.  :bigsmyl:  Sounds like I can't do bad with either head. Maybe six of each.  :biglaugh:

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
six of each wouldn't be a bad idea.I have never shot a ne mercy head so I can't speak  for them. After seeing the damage of a singlebevel head I would be hard pressed to switch. If I ever shoot another head it will be one of the heads from abowyer I think. Still single bevel head though. Just make sure it is sharp and in the right place.

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
I've been looking at the No Mercy bhs also...are they about as thick as the 130 grain STOS?

Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©