3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: karifu tent  (Read 496 times)

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
karifu tent
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Anybody have one? Got a stove input?

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: karifu tent
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
i have the four man. I lived in it for two weeks this past elk season. We had huricane winds and rain one night for 8 hours plus.I stayed dry.  I have the flap for a stove but have not used one. I bought this tent in 2003 and it has housed me on several different elk hunts  
Make a life, not a living

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
I own the 16-man and love it.  I use the largest Four-Dog titanium stove & stove pipe.  If the outside temps are in the low teens it will heat the inside to the 60's.  That's pretty warm for a tipi that's 22' in diameter!

It's MADE IN AMERICA which is more than most/all other tent manufacturers can say.  Personally I think that's worth something.  Kifaru gear costs a fair amount but what's your life and/or comfort worth on extended outings?  It's serious gear for serious pursuits.  But if you are planning something serious I can guarantee you will appreciate the quality and performance.  

Remember that the Kifaru tipis will hold up to practically any wind or weather IF you get the perimeter staked out properly.  The structural integrity is dependent on the center pole (already over-built and plenty strong) and the perimeter stakes.  Get the stakes to hold and you'll be all set.

The photo below is from my 2009 moose hunt in the Wrangell Mountains.

John

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I have the six-person, which is just about the right size for two people and their gear. Can fit three in a pinch if you get along well.  Have the medium stove in it. Has provided all the heat needed in mild weather.  Haven't had it in real cold below zero temps.  The stoves are small and you do need to feed them almost continuously, but they sure do heat the place up nicely.

Offline MJW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
I have the 6 man with a liner and medium stove along with their ParaTipi and small stove. Can't say enough good things about them along with any of their other gear.
-
-

Offline csimpson

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
I've got the 8 man with liner (haven't had to use liner yet) and medium stove.  Medium stove keeps tipi plenty warm, but as previously stated you've got to stoke the fire all night if you care about having a warm tipi while you sleep.  I really like the light weight of the tipi and stove combo, I believe its about 14lbs.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 02:54:00 AM »
How do those tents handle humidity? I've heard of the liners, how do they work? I would think there would be a lot of humidity with no floor. Gary

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
4 man, liner, smallest stove = two man at most.

rusty

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Yep I've spent a night or two in Rustys.  It's cozy for two guys but a very good spike camp setup.

I've also spent a week in the big one John has.  Now that is comfy.  We will be back at that spot in September after the willy moose.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Gary, good question about humidity.  Any single-wall tent with or without a floor will require some attention to the effects of humidity.  

For several years I hunted along a high-mountain braided stream for moose in Alaska.  The ground there was saturated with moisture.  It didn't matter if the air was super-cold and bone dry or if it was raining/snowing - there was always condensation on the inside of the tipi.

Hunting on a ridge top however is another matter entirely.  The soil is well-drained and doesn't hold any moisture.  In that setting the inside of the tipi stayed completely dry.  

The simple solution for condensation inside of the Kifaru tipi is to purchase and use the optional liner.  It's very light weight and is suspended just inside of the outer tipi shell.  Any moisture inside of the tipi is held away from the interior by the liner.  Just remember that the liner takes up a bit of the perimeter, so adding one to a 4-man would really cramp the inside.  Adding one to a 16-man takes up a bit of room but it's hardly noticeable.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
John said it all,
I have a 4 man with a liner and a small stove. I would not recomend 3 people in the tipi and certainly noone over 5ft 8inches. It would propably be perfect for a solo hunt, light weight and just enough room to store your bow and keep your wood dry in case of rain. I found them difficult to get the right pitch at first but their is a Youtube video you can watch to explain how to stake the tent. It take a couple outings to get efficient with the process. Set it up in the back yard in the wind for practice. I second the liner, it worth it weighs nothing.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to using a liner this year.  Last time we didn't have one in the tent.  In fact, I think this is a new tent from our '04 trip as it's a different color.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
6 man; would be great for 2 with gear.  I don't have the liner, and so far the condensation hasn't bothered me....then again, I'm short, so my head isn't always hitting the wet walls.  I usually just put my stuff under the cot in the morning, open the doors and rap on the walls with my hand to knock most of the condensation off.  That, and sunlight on the tent for a bit dries things right up. Haven't had to batten down the hatches and stay put in there for a multi-day deluge, though.....might be a different story.  Running the stove tends to help with the condensation, too...but try that in the summer and it'll run you out of there....fast.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Hunted in my cousins this year.  Was my home for a week.  I thought it was awesome.  Stove certainly kept us warm!  

Saw a suggestion on another thread.  Take some charcoal with ya to throw in the stove at night.  Will keep it warm longer after ya fall asleep.

We had 3 sleeping in the 6 man tent.  If I could afford one, I would get atleast the 8 man.  My cousin, his Dad, and son were in an 8 man and had tons of room for gear as well.

I will own one someday.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
ME to i think

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Is there a website?
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I have a 6 man and used it on an Alaskan mooseless hunt.  The absence of a floor made it easier to pitch over uneven terrain.  The stove does take regularly feeding to stay hot.  It gets hot enough that the grass underneath the stove caught fire. It rained (alot) and I did not think condensation was much of an issue.  If around 6 feet tall ( like my hunting buddy), being able to stand up to dress or stretch is nice.

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
How durable are they im pretty rough on stuff?

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Last of the Breed, go to kifaru.net.  Be sure to use net.

Offline Spence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
www.kifaru.net  is the website.  I've got the six man with liner, and have used both the small and medium stoves in it.  We've hunted with 4 men and minimal gear for a week, and it's doable.  2-3 with gear is better though. We hunt western Washington, so the liner comes in very handy, well worth the weight IMO. Their packs are also the cats meow.  All their gear is well worth the price.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©