3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: H. Hill vs David Miller vs Sunset Hill  (Read 760 times)

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
H. Hill vs David Miller vs Sunset Hill
« on: February 12, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has shot all 3 of these bows. If you could buy only one, which would it be and why? Workmanship, smooth, quiet, cost, cast etc.??? I am looking for a hunting bow that shoots heavy arrows. If I were to purchase one it would be 66", 45# to 50# @ 28". I shoot 3 fingers under. Thanks for your comments and replies.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: H. Hill vs David Miller vs Sunset Hill
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Well I have one Hill on my rack and I wouldn't sell/trade it for anything. I've owned 5 all together and they hold up superbly. I've never heard one break. As far as I can tell from what I've heard the Miller bows are on par with the Hills. I really don't think you will go wrong with any of Craig's creations. Each one of the Hill bows can be modified to trully make an original piece of art.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Well, I have two out of three, so I'll chime in. My Hill Cheetahs are maybe a touch faster, but the Sunset Hill string-follow I have is a real nock-buster. If the Miller is as nice as folks say, I believe you'll do fine with any of the three. Workmanship on the Hill and Sunset Hill are both outstanding and Dave Miller is known for a flawless finish.

I'd say get a Hill if you want one without a long wait, but if time is no factor, get the one that you want the most. You'll be able to sell it if you want to fairly quickly. All three have a loyal following.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with any of them . I've never shot a Sunset Hill but a mate of mine has one of Nate's and its a beautiful bow . i have numerous Hills and my Dave Miller string follow is an absolute gem ... a sweet sweet shooter . his service is great . But bang for the buck and  quick turnaround its hard to go past Craig at HHill . an absolute pleasure to work with .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
anybody else?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
i've shot all three bows you've listed, owned two.     :thumbsup:       :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Shot  Hills but not a Miller or a Sunset Hill. Sure do love my Northern Mist Shelton (string-follow Hill type)bow.

Oh yes, to agree w/Rob I like the Mohawk for a
"D shaped bow"!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
I have 1 HH and just ordered another - fine bows!  H

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
My favorites are Sunset Hills - best combination of the qualities you mentioned, you just have to be willing to wait 1-2 years to get it - that's why I have two coming, and will order two more when they arrive later this year!  :thumbsup:   They are all excellent bows and eventually you will own all of them if your a dedicated Hill guy. I've become a string follow advocate (better stability and softer in the hand) so all of my new ones will have that profile. Craig will build a string follow if you ask, that's all that Nate builds, and David offers it as well. Craigs grip shape is different than the others although he can copy pretty much anything for you. I prefer the shape of the Shultz bows, and that's the way both David and Nate shape theirs. The differences are minor and it really boils down to personal preference, money on hand, and time. In a nutshell:

1. If you want a good bow with a lot of options, that's a little faster (standard profile) at a great price, and with quick delivery - Craig!

2. If you want a draw that's smooth as butter with a great finish and attention to detail for a little more money and a little longer wait - David!

3. If you want the best at a steal of a price and can wait for it - Nate!

I can expand a little more on the differences for you, just send me a PM if you want to talk.

Regards...Ken

P.S. Mohawks and other mild R/D bows are NOT "D" bows - they're half moons!  :goldtooth:
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Sunset hill bows really good string follow bows they just flat out shoot!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks for everyone's replys.

SpankyNeal, I sent you a PM.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
David Miller for me, I have shot all 3, owned a Nate Steen bow and currently own a Miller. For a true Hill built bow and yes I will argue with you on this one give David a call. I can nitpick a bow apart and I finally found a perfect one in the Miller. Thanks  Flint

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Wouldn't argue with you a bit Flint ol buddy! Matter of fact i'm calling David next week to discuss my next one now that my adoption attorney has been paid! Would still love to handle one of Steve Shultz bows though - gotta be good!

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
Last Saturday in his shop, Nate and I were talking about the progressive differences in Howard's bows and later John Schulz' bows and everybody since.  

My belief is that there are good bows of this style being made today by several bowyers.  It is acknowledged that Steve and David are the only two currently working that were trained by John who was trained by Howard.

I really enjoy my Sunset Hill for hunting, roving and shooting in the back yard.  I am fortunate to live nearby to Nate, so thus my bias.  Like Ken, I would like to shoot one of Steve's and David's.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
I've shot and owned all 3. I'd go with the Miller. They all make great bows, If you are in a rush I'd go with Craig Ekin, I've bought two from Nate Steen and he's not real particular on promised completion times or draw weights. Still beatiful bows but you have to be willing to be flexible in my experience. You'll wait longer for David Miller than Craig Ekin but I think it's worth it. I don't think you could go wrong with all three and you  could add a few more names to the list as well.  Good Luck, Greg

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Ken, I have not heard of anyone gettting a bow from Steve as of yet. I know a few fellas that cannot even get him on the phone or by e-mail as well. Not sure what is going on there. Anybody on here been able to get ahold of Steve Schulz? 3under, I have shot a Northern Mist Shelton as well good bow indeed but just does not have the something in the feel like the Miller. I shot Davids bows over a couple of years period before having him build me one and visited with him several times at his home just trying to justify what I felt the first time I shot them. Each bow I shot whether glass laminated bows or the SWEET all bamboo bows had a certain feel to them on the shot. I still am not 100 percent certain what it is either and I have talked to David about it. It just must be all his years of bow building and adhering to Howard's methods on picking bamboo,tempering it correctly, and crafting the bows to these exact parameters, atleast that is what I think. Hope you get a chance to shoot all 3 and make up your mind. Only YOU can be the final judge. Flint

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with David Miller. If you wan't a bow just like Howard Hill and John Schulz built David is your man and a nicer guy you couldn't find and honest as the day is long.

Offline hatfloater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »
I agree with JohnI and flint kemper. If someone makes a better shooting nicer crafted hill style bow, I've yet to see one. I'm looking forward to seeing a Steve Schulz bow. A friend has been waiting for one ordered from Steve about six months ago. The wait doesn't bother my friend but the lack of response does.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great information. I sent David Miller an e-mail yesterday. He e-mailed me back with answers to my questions and his phone number. I called him and ordered an Old Tom. David is everything you have indicated above. What a pleasure to deal with. It will be along 16 weeks.

I did e-mail Nate Sheen and he did promptly reply. There could also be a Sunset Hill in my future. Delivery time is a year or maybe a little more.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Flint and everyone - I am hoping that Steve has just suffered something that is delaying his responses, and not purposely doing this! Out of respect for his father and the family history, I will not make assumptions at this point as to what the reason may be. But I believe that anyone thinking of sending a deposit for a bow should wait until the situation is resolved. Hopefully the truth with be forthcoming and those who have ordered bows already will be satisfied. Thanks for the heads up guys - let's hope all turns out well!

By the way I went ahead and called David last night and he's making a copy of my Schultz Favorite for me that I had to sell to John. As Craig said - it will be a long 16 weeks!

Regards....Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©