3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: H. Hill vs David Miller vs Sunset Hill  (Read 758 times)

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: H. Hill vs David Miller vs Sunset Hill
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
I OWN BOTH HH AND SUNSET HILL FOR ME THE NATE STEEN RENDITION SHOOTS BETTER MUST BE THE STRING FOLLOW
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Has anyone shot one of Craig's string follow bows?  He doesn't advertise them much but he can make a bow anyway you want it including R/D.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
I owned one of Craigs Big Five string follow bows and I liked it a lot. Bought it used and in great shape.

I ended up selling it. But, the only reason was to order a better looking bow from him. I just could not learn to like the brown glass that it had.

I love the looks and grain pattern in my new Half Breed, that I can admire because of the clear glass. And it shoots just as nice as the Big Five did. Maybe even a little better.

Life's too short to shoot an ugly bow when there are better options. Many people would not agree with me on this, because it's(not the way Howard Hill did it) but I prefer to see the belly lam extend out over the riser.

To me it looks like that's the way it was supposed to be, and if Mr. Hill would have had a good stock of clear glass, I bet that's what he would have came up with also.

Craig makes a good shootin' bow! And they just happen to be beautiful at the same time.

That's the fun of it all. You can get what you like. And where else can you order a bow, the bowyer tells you 4 or 5 weeks, and you have your bow by when he told you you would?

JMO.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Craig, I've not shot a Miller but have owned a number of Hills (still have two) and have shot Kevin's Sunset.  The best thing might be for you to try one of each, but short of that the 'feel' in these bows might be most affected by the limb design.  That is, a string follow design might be a good option for sweet shooting, and I beleive all three bowyers can do that for you.  Whatever you choose, ALWAYS remember:  the secret's in the grip, and I'm still looking for a Pronghorn of say around 51#!  lol...     :biglaugh:

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
Never a Steen, but out of the other 2....  I like Miller.

Offline royking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
I have only owned several of craigs bows loved them all.But im glad other bowers are still ofering straight limb bows.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I HAVE 2 SUNSET HILLS I LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY SHOOT BEST FOR ME I HAVE ONE HOWARD HILL STRAIT LIMBTHAT IS ALSO AKEEPER BOB WESLEY ORDERED IT FOR ME WHEN I WENT TO HIS SCHOOL
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
I currently shoot a 69" Miller Old Tom 45# ,with a backset profile. I could not be happier with it.  The bow that will be right for you is the one that fits you best. All three are fine bows.
Good luck !
Ralphie
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline OP-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Come May 2012 I hope to be the owner of a Sunset Hill (I'm on the list).  I know, it's a long wait but I also waited a year for my Mike Treadway Black Swamp. Just gives me more time to savor the moment.
IMO SGT. Bradley S. Crose,
USA, 1/75  
Lest we Forget.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Northern Mist !!  "Oooops" !!

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
My son told me the best bow he shot at the Waterloo thing was a Northern Mist whisper.

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by OPRick:
Come May 2012 I hope to be the owner of a Sunset Hill (I'm on the list). Just gives me more time to savor the moment.
With any luck at all, I will also own one of these prized creations.  I am at the top of the list - my own "wish list"...HA!

Seriously tho... I feel the same as you do.  The anticipation is a good thing - I will most certainly savor that moment.

I have had only a couple conversations via email with Nate.  He is sincere dedicated to the purest form of the Hill longbow.  He has no desire to be found in the "eye candy" line-up and is not apparently in it for the money.  

Ten years ago I would not have considered buying a bow like the Sunset Hill or David Miller creations but now, for some strange reason, I have a deep desire to get back to where it all started for me.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
Have not shot a Sunset Hill. Have owned both Howard Hill and David Miller bows. I like the David Millers bows better.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »
One Split Bamboo 56#, two Hawk 57 & 60#, and one Old Tom 66#. I have shot others, but not Nate's. Also have three Schulz, 56, 68 and 71# all glass.
I would add they are all great.

However, if you get the desire to buy an all bamboo, or have one, don't overdraw it, or let someone else do it.  If it is marked for 27", drawing it to 28" may very well ruin the bow. All bamboo, wood, or self bows can be very draw length specific, and won't tolerate being overdrawn. If you find one that stacks the last inch, for which is is tillered (eg. 66" and 27" draw length), it is likely due to that reason. There are other signs too, like loosing draw weight, and/or loss of tiller. Happy shooting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 05:37:00 AM »
sunset hill have a webpage?

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
I shot an all bamboo Miller, I cannot believe that I don't have one.  I am afraid that i would have to sell all my other bows if I did that, that is was is holding me back from them. Not as fast as fast as some of my glassed bows that I  have and faster than some of the glassed bows that I no longer have. But oh my, how they shoot.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
I've owned all the bows mentioned and have settled on Sunset Hills as my favorite. A fantastic bow, from an even better guy!

Dan, he does not have a webpage yet, but you can PM me for his contact info.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
I would not rule out Northern Mist. Steve makes a straigth limbed bow as well as a string follow with just about any handle shape you could think of.

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Ray can you tell me how to get ahold of Nate by any chance,or does he have a website I can't find.Thanks

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
I have never shot a Hill style bow, but I have wanted one for as long time.

I have also seen pics and info about the Sunset Hills and they are beautiful.

There are a few things you all are talking about that have me a bit confused.  What is a STRING FOLLOW bow and why would it be something that is desirable?

How do the Sunset Hills differ from the Craig Ekin Hill bows?

Thanks

Nalajr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©