3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Comparison between bows  (Read 409 times)

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Comparison between bows
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I own 2 Black widow recurve's and did own one of their longbows. I am thinking of buying a different bow. If anyone has owned a Black widow and shot or owned other brands how do they compare them to BW. I would like some honest opinions on comparison as far as smoothness, speed, and other details. I am only interested in performance not beauty. The one thing I do not care for is the weight of the BW takedowns. That is why I am leaning toward a one piece again.
PBS  Member

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Comparison between bows
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
There are a lot of bows that will compare favorably, and many that will outperform the BW.  You will get all the pat answers; Blacktail, ACS, Fox, Robertson, Toelke, etc., etc.,.

On a given day all of those bows will shoot within a few feet per second of each other.  You need to shoot some bows partner.....you need to shoot some bows.  If you are looking for performance, Ron Pittsley's Predator, outperformed both the ACS and Black Widow in Blacky's tests in TBM.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
I have had several Widows incliding 3 MA/PMA's,  4 TF/PTF's, and a couple PL long bows, including a TD.

They are all gone now, to guys who enjoy them more than I did.      :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
Elmer,

Check your private messages.  I have an idea you might want to consider.

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »
I used to have a BW takedown. It was quick for sure. However, for me and the kind of situation that I got myself into it did not work. I never liked the balance.  Most of the time I found it distracting while I was still hunting or stalking. I also found the balance bothersome when I would be holding the bow canted waiting for a shot.  I found I was much more accurate in the field sticking to the Hill style and Schulz longbows.  Schulz bamboo and fiberglass bows were fast, pound for pound maybe not as fast as the BW.  But I found that keeping my concentration and having a bow that I could shoot smoother and faster was a big plus for me, since I always hunt on the ground.  If I were looking for a high performance one piece recurve like a Fedora or Robertson, I would consider the handling when not shooting and go for a lower grip.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
There are a lot of bows that will compare favorably, and many that will outperform the BW.  You will get all the pat answers; Blacktail, ACS, Fox, Robertson, Toelke, etc., etc.,.

On a given day all of those bows will shoot within a few feet per second of each other.  You need to shoot some bows partner.....you need to shoot some bows.  If you are looking for performance, Ron Pittsley's Predator, outperformed both the ACS and Black Widow in Blacky's tests in TBM.
elmer, listen up to what george just typed.

these kinda topics seem borne out of human nature to find a quick answer to a question that cannot be answered by anyone but the questioner.

i wish there was a quick and easy answer to yer question but you really do need to pay your dues before you can sing the trad bow blues ....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
You will have to shoot some bows to see what fits.No bow runs away from the other in performance and looks ect are up to the guy picking the bow.What I think is a better bow would and should mean nothing to anyone else.Bows are not like socks and hats where one size fits all.You have to see how one fits before you buy. jmo

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
In the real world the small differences in arrows speed from one bow to another are nill.If you want just speed use a very light arrow.If you want hunt a good penetrating arrow, since hunting distances are so short that doesn't really matter if your arrow is flying 180 or 200 at 20-25 yards.Another option build stronger muscles so you can shoot a heavier bow.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
I only shoot Toelke Longbows now but I have owned both Dan's take-down and a 1 pc. "Chinook recurve. I have also shot a fair number of and been around many Black Widows being shot at 3d shoots. It is my distinct impression backed by many other shooter's comments that Dan's bows are noticeably quieter than the Widows. They are for certain lighter, mine weighed 2 lbs.-5 ozs. and 1 lb.-5 ozs. respectively. As for speed, the take-down was a little above average but the Chinook is very fast, mine was 55 lbs. and chronographed a 565 gr. arrow at 185 f.p.s. In addition both bows are smooth-drawing, forgiving and are true custom made bows, expertly crafted with whichever exotic wood combination you choose, delivered in about 4 weeks at a considerably lower price than a Black Widow. Dan is the best guy you will ever deal with and may well have a test drive bow available, contact him at  www.montanabows.com

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
I have three BW's, all recurves, and three Robertson's, a recurve and two longbows.  I had a BW longbow, but didn't care for it and sold it.  I love my BW recurves and won't sell them.  They are heavy, though, and my Robertson takedown recurve is noticeably lighter.  I think if you had a Robertson takedown recurve, made with any of the normal bow woods that aren't overly heavy, you wouldn't feel the need for a one-piece.  I am considering making my Robertson my preferred hunting bow for that reason, even though I hate to think of getting that beautiful bow all scratched up.

I haven't shot that many different longbows, as I am primarily a recurve man, but I love my Robertson longbows, which is why I have two of them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Thanks everybody I have owned several Martin bows, Black widows,and shot sevral other types at 3d shoots. My biggest problem is being L/H now since my right eye got so bad. You just cannot find many places to try L/H bows. I have thought of Morrison, Palmer, and Robertson.
My biggest concern is dropping the money and ending up with something I don't care for. I shot one persons bow that he paid over a 1000.00 from a bowyer and my 45 pound hedge selfbow was faster and better. I want a bow that performs and handles good, it doesn't have to be the fastest. Thanks for the comments
PBS  Member

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Call up the Widow boys and test drive the new PCH, I havent shot one but I hear it's narrower and it's handle is shorter so it's lighter than the other TD's they make.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
bofish, you could hit the Cloverdale, Indiana shoot and try lots of left hand bows. I think Widow will be there and you could try a PSR. Haven't seen Mr. Morrison there for a while, but would like to.

Gene, you are still in your "Search Period".
I think we always will be. Fun ain't it?
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
buckracks has it right, try as many as you can. On a personal note I wonder if people today are so concerned about "performance" and FPS that they risk losing what got them into traditional archery in the first place.

you definitely can't go wrong with a one piece.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
I'm going to mention one for you to try that I think meets what your looking for - Great Northern Super Ghost! I'm a Hill guy but I finally found a recurve that I love to shoot, and can shoot well! She's lite, fast, super smooth, the quietest recurve i've ever shot, dead in the hand, has a super comfortable grip, and is very very forgiving! It might not be the bow for you but if you can find one to try don't pass on the opportunity. Don't hold your breath for a used one though as they almost never come up for sale!

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
I would like some honest opinions on comparison as far as smoothness, speed, and other details. I am only interested in performance not beauty.
To quote Mr. Ken Beck from a phone conversation I had with him a year or three ago...

"There's not a nickle's worth of difference in the better bows on the market today."

I agree.  I've owned two BW recurves, shot several others and some BW longbows.  I don't own one now, nor to I plan to in the future.  Not to say they aren't nice bows, they just aren't the bow for me.

I'm not into bells and whistles, and have never found a comfortable seat on the bandwagon.  I used to think I just had to buy this or that bow because 'ol so-and-so shot one, or because it got a great review in a magazine, or because it always got great reviews on a message board...but after shooting a lot of bows and spending a lot of money, I learned something.  There ain't no magic bow (or arrow, or string, or broadhead, or camo, etc.).  The monkey holding it is what makes the difference.

Get a bow you are comfortable with, learn to tune it, learn to shoot, then practice.  That will make more of a difference than anything else.

I understand asking for reviews, but that is an exercise in futility.  The two best resources I know of for unbiased information are Blacky Schwartz's reviews (I think he has a website too?), and Pete Ward's site.  

Even then, they do basic tests, not in-depth shooting like you would do if you owned the bow.

Asking on a web site is like asking what brand truck is best, or what flavor ice-cream.  You'll get opinions--usually biased ones.  It's just human nature.  It's interesting, but nothing you'd want to bet the farm on.  JMO.

Chad

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I would love to shoot my Wapiti along with a BW and Predator and compare.

Predator is supposedly faster than BW. The Wapiti and Predator limbs resemble each other, but the wapiti's are more radical.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
The only reason I am considering to try other bows is I need to drop my poundage to shoot comfortable and Black W. wants the price of other good used bows just for a set of limbs. Therefore I thought I would try other bows. I am not going to rush into buying another bow that is why I asked for opinions on other bows. I have had some great responses and offers to try some bow from PM's This just proves I came to the right place to ask questions. Thanks
PBS  Member

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
There are so many wonderful top performing bows that your choices are really almost unlimited.  I own several BW's and a whole bunch of other high-end bows...they are all super shooters.

The best thing to do is to make a list of all of the characteristics that you want in a bow.  For example, you mentioned that you want a bow that is light weight...so perhaps a one pc bow would fit your needs.  What about price range?  What is your budget?  Decide what other things you are looking for and that will help you to start to limit your search.

In the end, shooting as many bows as possible is the only real way to know which bows will fit your preference and style.  Good luck and have fun!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline d from phx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Started out in the 60"s with Widows when they were made by Wilson Bros. Trieed a couple newer ones but now shoot White wolf bows. They compare to any bow out there are super fast and forgiving, I shoot target competition and depend on them to be iin the win colum.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©