3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tied on nocking point -what's wrong  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tied on nocking point -what's wrong
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
I have read and reread the DIY tutorial on nocking points . They start out good but after 50-100 shots the knot gets mashed and the nocking point is off a little, then they get to where they slip up and down the string after a while. What am I doing wrong? Can this thing be made to where it is durable and you do not have to worry about it, I want my nocking point exactly where it is supposed to be when I wear out the string????

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tied on nocking point -what's wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
Hi Jack,
 I use dental floss. I start with a clove hitch, wrap to the size I want, a couple half hitches and finish up with a square knot. I them put a little bit of fletch tite on the whole nock.
 I don't have any idea how many shots I have on them but every once in a while one will start to fray a little and I just put a drop of glue on it and it will last until I need to replace the string.
 Hope this helped.

Brad

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
I use TS1 and then soak it with thin super glue.  They turn hard as a rock and never move.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
You can use what material you want, just soak it in thin super glue.  I use TS1 because I use ot to make the strings. Dental floss soaked in super glue works fine.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I use 25# test braided nylon fishing line or Diamondback .026" braided center serving.

The key is to get the length of the nock point just right.  Too short and it will slip, too long and it's tough to twist up/down.  I find about 3/8" to be about perfect.

I burn the knot but don't put super glue on as I like the option of twisting them up or down...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
Jack, I use BCY nock tying thread. I tie with 7 half hitches, the last one finished off as a square knot. Tied this way, you can twist the whole thing up/down to adjust. When I have it tuned perfectly, I just add some superglue to the outside edge.

I shoot a LOT and never have a problem with this set-up.

Hey Michaelschwister, I live just on the other side of the mountain from you. We should meet up and shoot sometime.

Allen

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
also, use a quality super glue as found in model hobby shops - you want the standard, water thin variety of cya (CYAnoacrylate, such as the hot stuff brand name).

all bets are off if you use that cheap krazy glue krap or any super glue that's viscous and not water thin.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Dental floss, and Duco.
Just keep tying overhand knots, after each layer, add in some Duco, keep tying till you have the size you want, then Duco over the whole thing when you are done.
Your string will wear out before the nock point comes off.
Jim

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Allen nailed it, only I use B-50 and tie ten half hitches. The key is to wax the strand before and snug the strand as tight as possible, tie the half hitches on opposite sides of the serving to make it even. Finish with a square knot, and a heated knife blade tip to smooth the knot. I DO NOT use any glue, and have not had one to move in 30 years. They are extremely durable, as the string usually wears out first.

Michael
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Allen

Saw your threads last fall, we should definately get together to shoot/make bows etc.  I have 49 acres for stumping and a 3 target 3d range, you are welcome anythime. Spot and stalk groundhogs all summer in my foodplots, I hate the things, they eat more soybeans than the deer......

Mike

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Another vote for dental floss and super glue. Good luck.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Why not use a metal nock?  Is there an advantage to the floss/b50 thing?

Thanks

Tenbrook

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by tenbrook:
Why not use a metal nock?  Is there an advantage to the floss/b50 thing?

Thanks

Tenbrook
The metal nocks are bulky and if pinched will affect your arrow more than some floss or string'n'glue will. The have a greater chance of coming loose and slipping down/up. Also if you shoot with gloves, they wear out the gloves faster and can also damage the string if pinched to tight..
But if you like metal nocks, use them.
They still get the job done, if properly sized and fastened!
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all your responses, I will give it another round with better glue.

Allen at ATAR how about a tutorial   :thumbsup:  

I been using brass nock sets for years but they cut into the serving sometimes and I don't like it one bit  "[dntthnk]"

Thanks
Jack

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
I used unwaxed dental floss to begin...and wrap a base layer. Add a small dab of clear nail polish here, and then wrap another layer...add polish, etc until you get the size and profle you want. Tie any knot and snug it tight, then dab with polish. When it dries, use a razor blade to trim the tag end...and add a final coat of polish. My nock points always outlast the bowstring.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Unwaxed Dental floss, tight and smooth. Finish with a nail knot. If you have wrapped guides on a rod, you have used a nail knot. It can be done by using a loop in a string, or a small 1-2" spray tube from a can of WD40. Run 6-8 rounds over the tube then feed the end of the Dental Floss thru, pull out the tube and tighten. Then use head cement for tying flys.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Rob, that second noc is the best looking I've seen could you describe in more detail how you tie it? A tutorial would be great also.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline BlueBarred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
I was shown a different way to tie on a nock. It is much the same as tying on your serving. I was using diamond back .030, but recently tried B-50 and it is also working well with a little less bulk. Start with about a 12" strand of well waxed serving and put a bight in it. Lay the strand on your well waxed string with the loop centered on the string (it can point up or down). Take one tag end and start to wind around your string  from the base of the loop towards the top. Make the wraps tight and even. The First wrap locates the nock on the string so set it as best you can. I keep wrapping till I get about 5/16" or so total wrap. Put that tag end through the loop and hang on to it. Pull the other tag end to pull the loop and the first tag end into the wrap. I pull hard on each end to keep things tight and pull the loop to the center of the wrap. Pull the tag ends taught and snip off with a razor. Carefully and quickly burn in the ends with a match. I never tried glue and that could be a good idea but I've never had a nock fail or slip on me. Hope this makes sense. Much harder to explain than to do. Once you get into tie on nocks, you'll never go back to brass.
Dave

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
I love the durability of the brass nocks but like the concept of the tie on nock set. If I can tie it where it is more durable I will be a happy camper. I like for everything I hunt with to be tough.

Thanks
Jack

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
I never have liked the brass ones and have just started shooting three under...then I read a post that Ken Beck told somebody to try two nocks - for three under.

Maybe we could get some video links to these ideas....great to see how it's done actually.

You can do it......please

jer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©