3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tied on nocking point -what's wrong  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tied on nocking point -what's wrong
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
The brass nock sets seem to cut my finger tab so I usually tie the nocking point.  I use extra of whatever I served the string with. I never use glue.  I start with a square knot and tie a series of overhand knots then I go back down over the top the same way with a second layer for added thickness.  I finish with a square knot on both sides of the string.  In place of glue, I  burn the tag ends and quickly wipe the melted ends onto the bundle to seal the knot.  The whole deal is roughly the same size of a brass nock set.  It never slips--in fact the only problem is that it is tied so tightly that I can't adjust it up or down very easily if at all.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Here's a link to a build along in the How To resource forum:  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000078
Hope this helps a little, Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Jack, we'll set up shop at ATAR and have at it!

Hope to see you there!!

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Good thread, I also do the same as Allen.  No problems.  Next time I'll try waxing it ahead of time and see how it works.  But Robs nock sure is Purdy!
peter Osimanti

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Yeah Rob, How did ya get that So Purty?? Mine dont Look ANYTHING Like That.  :thumbsup:   They end up Looking like a Ball of String,  :banghead:   which....I guess thats what they are.   :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »

this is a whipped nock point (not a knot) using large diameter .025" bcy #62 braid black/white serving.  the actual center serving is .019" bcy halo.  

use unwaxed thread (center serving type) and never any waxed thread (bowstring fiber or dental floss) as the wax inhibits the capillary flow of the binding agent (quality model shop thin cya such as 'hot stuff').

serve the nocking point with just a few turns, whipping the tag end back under the nock serving. pull the tag end *tight* and leave it hanging.  liberally saturate with water thin cya.  when the cya has cured, use a razor blade/knife to trim off the hardened tag end.  give the entire nock point one more light coat of cya.  

the result is a hard and ultra light nock point that will last the life of the string and not harm your leather glove or tab.

note: this type of nock point can't be moved, it's permanent.  it can be removed by cutting off with a razor blade/knife.  use knots instead of serving if you need to move the nock point.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
fyi -

when making a movable knotted nock pointm make sure to *liberally" wax (rub it in good) the center serving in the area of the nock point - this will help keep the cya from bonding the nock point to the serving,

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
B-50 stretchs. What's your take on tied string nocks on B-50 strings?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Lately I have started using braided fly line backing material. It is florescent yellow. I whip tie it much like Rob described, melt the tag ends, add the CA glue, and don't have to do it again until I put on a new string.

I have also gone to using two nock points even shooting split. I think I get more consistent arrow flight because the nock can't slip even a little bit.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by straitera:
B-50 stretchs. What's your take on tied string nocks on B-50 strings?
i use waxed dacron for knotted nock points, liberally doused with thin cya.  go back a page and see the image.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
I've used dental floss for years; its stays in place, and is as durable as anything you will ever use.  A simple whip finish makes it tight and secure.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
I have used B50,D97 and No 4 nylon serving for tie on nocks,they all work fine for me.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
I've always used the metal nocks but don't really like them for reasons mentioned above.  as of late I've been using thin strips of duct tape and a dap of glue.  It has worked well so far but I don't know how well it will hold up over time.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
I've used both, depending on my mood and how much time I have.

I've never experienced the problems mentioned with brass nocksets.  My guess is because I use quality nocksets (from Saunders), I use nocksets that fit the string properly, and I use a set of quality nocking pliers that don't just pinch, but round off the nockset.  Works just fine with a glove or tab.

Chad

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Guys thanks for all the response , after returning form FL I will give it another try. I don't want to try something on a hunt.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I use BCY #3D and start with a clove hitch and wrap twice then a clove hitch on the other side and then two more wraps and end it with a clove hitch.And wax it in and slight heat on the wax(blow dryer)and wax again.I never have one slip,A clove hitch is a self tightening knot.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
been using dental floss and fingernail polish for for about 35 years. when it starts getting frayed, just add another coat of polish. Never had a problem.
bolong

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Amazing! Three pages on tied on nock locators! I have been using tied on nock points for years and never even was aware that there was/could be a problem since they work so perfectly for me.  I just use B50, tie it in simple over-hand knots back and forth on opposite sides, finish with a square knot, and touch a drop of glue (super, fletch tite, or whatever I have around) and never have had one move. Simplest thing there is in archery to me. Sometimes I use the whipped method but don't really like it any better than my usuaul method.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
This has worked great for me:
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000014

I use bowstring in a different color than my serving and main bowstring.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
This thread is just what I've been needing because I've been toying with the idea of tying on my nocks instead of using brass ones.

Thanks Fellas!
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©