3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting with a pack on?  (Read 769 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting with a pack on?
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
I apologize, up-front, if this doesn't belong here.  But, I'm headed to CO for an elk hunt in Sept.

First....do you elk guys prefer a backpack to a fanny pack?  Next..Is there anything inherent with either that's detrimental to shooting? I need something with enough room (we'll base camp each night in the same place) for a jacket/layer/small amount of gear and at least a 1/2 gallon of water.  I can probably get all of this with either type pack.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting with a pack on?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I've hunted with both types, and now use my dwight schuh pack. It has an internal frame and I can carry quite a bit of stuff. I take a decent camera along too and this pack allows for the camera and other gear. I don't have a problem shooting with it on, however when I set up for elk, or final stalk mulies or antelope, it comes off. Whichever you use, practice with it on, and make sure you can shoot with it on, sometimes things happen real fast. Good luck!!   :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I've only chased Elk once (Elk-1, me-0), so I can't speak to that. However, I do a great deal of still hunting here in Ohio for WT. I always have a back day pack on. It holds what I've found to be of need. many times there is a small tree stand attached for whenever I find a tree that I just have to be in.

All I can say, get your rig together and practice with it on. I've never had it get in my way. My preference is for a backpack.

Good luck chasing those critters.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Either one will work fine.  I have always used a back day pack, but am considering a Bison Gear fanny pack. Hardly ever take my pack off, maybe for a mid-day rest, but that's about it.  Never a problem shooting with it on.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
I've had to shoot with my Badland 2800.  Can be done - practice with it on.  A larger 4000 plus pack could be a problem if the weight in the pack shifts your center of balance.  You might find yourself on your face after you release.  H

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Backpack.

Suggestion:  http://www.prairietrad.com/page33.html

Does not interfere with shooting.

(great service, trad gang sponsor)   :thumbsup:

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
I've hunted several years in Colorado and I prefer a day pack as opposed to a fanny.  I havn't had any trouble shooting with a pack on as long as you practice some with it on.  I would recommend getting a (quality) pack, you can't believe the difference after carrying it all day for several days.  I know from experience.  My first couple of trips there I had a cheap pack and I paid the price.  Good luck.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Lost...

That pack looks nice.  And, I'd just as soon buy from Whip as anyone.  More than I wanted to spend (especially since it doesn't come with the hydration pack.....and I need TWO!....lol).

But, I'll give that one a hard look.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
I hunt most of the time with a Back pack some small and some pretty big.
There are a lot of good packs out there, for Elk get one with a hydration pack!

Make sure during practice you can shoot from all positions with your pack on. Cut and tape off all loose zips and straps to get them out of your way and keep everything quite.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Backpack for me.
Here in Montana (I assume Colorado would be the same) my mornings leaving camp might be 20 degrees and by mid afternoon it's 60 degrees, so it seems like I am constantly taking layers on and off, carrying lunch, water, knife, saw, survival type equipment, etc. When I leave camp in the morning, I don't intend on going back until that evening and can't seem to get all I need (want) in a fanny pack.
I have no trouble shooting with my Bison Gear pack on, but others have stated and I have time, I'll drop my pack when setting up for elk coming in. That way you can maneuver around easier to get a shot if necessary.
Whip has a great selection of packs, many of which would serve you nicely.
My $.02's
Ron
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
I've shot plenty of critters with a back on...no worries if you've practiced....shouldn't be a problem, but shooting with it on will give you confidence....and let you know if there's any squeaking.

Sometimes if I see animals soon enough, I'll shuck my pack and stalk without it....but I have been caught off guard and all went well.

Good question....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Here's a tip, like Terry said "I'll shuck my pack and stalk without it" make sure that once you drop it to start stalking make sure that you can find it, there is nothing like spending and hour looking for your pack and boots after you shot and Elk or a Muledeer so take some surveyor's tape and flag where you dropped your pack or mark it with a GPS and take the GPS with you.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
I got the "Blue Widow" from Whip and I can shoot with it packed with everything I need for a three day hunt.It packs so nice with all the compression straps it doesn't interfere with shooting.I practice with it on and fully loaded and I was very careful to buy lightweight gear.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Bugle1N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Full back packs can tend to be more restrictive than fannys or fannys with shoulder straps.  If you choose a full stiff backpack then test out your draw cylcle.  It can interupt your normal draw, which can mess with your concentration.  I like a fanny with straps if I plan to get back to camp evey night.  You can get 1000 to 1500+ cubic inch - its plenty.  Dont like to carry the extra weight, more restricted in movement and harder to sneak.  I often look for packs that have curved shoulder straps, they are less restrictive on drawing.  As said above, I drop my pack if I can.  Otherwise, if time does not allow then I will loosen my right strap and it will allow full movement.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Not shooting, specifically, but I switched from a daypack to a shoulder bag a year ago and love the change.  The synthetic material on the pack shoulder straps and the high position of the pack bag contacted brush and made too much noise when stalking.  At very close range the shoulder straps would make enough friction noise when I raised my arms to shoot that animals would alert.

I switched to a single strap shoulder bag with cotton strap.  Much quieter and handy to access by just swinging it around to my front and grabbing out what I need.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by CA BOWHUNTER:
Here's a tip, like Terry said "I'll shuck my pack and stalk without it" make sure that once you drop it to start stalking make sure that you can find it, there is nothing like spending and hour looking for your pack and boots after you shot and  
Take your judo or blunt out and cram it in the ground next to your pack(if you use bright fletches like me, they come in handy in many ways) as you wont be needing it on your stalk.  That will also help you find it.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I like that tip, I once spent a hour lookin for my pack after chasin a buck on a island on the potomac.  And since then I have never set my pack down, but I might loose the 25 pounds of extra clothing from now on and stick my pink feathers in the ground next to it!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
One little thing to remember.......if you are using a hydration pack---don't forget to tuck that mouthpiece somewhere where it won't catch your string at full draw-----those things hurt when they come whipping back at ya, not to mention what happens to your shot!  :knothead:    :bigsmyl:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Ben's post goes to what I was going to say, which is to practice with your pack on well prior to your hunt. The first time I shot with mine on I realized that I needed to move the hydration pack tube from the left strap to the right one (I'm right-handed) to keep it away from my bowstring.

Aside from that, make sure you practice not only with your pack on, but with at least as much weight as you anticipate carrying. For me, having that much weight across my shoulders while shooting took a little getting used to.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
PM sent.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©