3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting with a pack on?  (Read 768 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting with a pack on?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
I've use the Bison Gear Lost River pack for elk hunting for quite a few years now.  It works well and is easy to shoot with.  After wearing it a few days, you get to where you miss having it on.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I like packs in the 1500-2000 cu in range for that type of hunting.Layering is importsnt in the mountains when temperatures and your own body heat hnges so much.

They make some small pockets with velcro straps that can attach to your shoulder strap or waist belt.It is a good idea to carry your small pocket camera on your shoulder strap or waist belt so you can get it out quick without taking your pack off.put it on the right side for a right hand shooter,to not interfere with the string.It seems like a small thing but there will be a lot of things you will want to record besides a trophy photo and you will miss some things if the camera is in your pack and you have to take it off everytime.

I use a large fleece daypack from Rancho Safari that I like except it could use a hydration pocket.I just like the quietness of fleece or wool and even the shoulder straps are covered in fleece.Dead silent.

If you will be in steep country,make sure you have a solid pair of boots with an agressive tread and good support and have them well broke in before the trip.Forget cost on these.Get the best you can afford.Your feet are the foundation for your entire trip.Be kind to them.

I can't wait to hear about your trip.It's going to be an exciting time.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I got a Keyes Quiver pack that is pretty narrow yet deep enough for plenty of gear.Its narrow profile keeps it centered between my shoulders and does not effect my shooting at all.You can also add a belt pack to it but thats more than I usually need.

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
I use a Cabelas day pak my wife gave me like 10 years ago.  Its waterproof soft & quiet. I just take a few shots each fall with it on, or take it stumping tp practice. Its like it isnt eventhere.  Mike
Big Mike

Offline pow-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
For years I carried a North face Terra 40.  It is narrow enough to not restrict shooting but can hold quite a bit.  Probably not big enough for an elk hunt though and the new model is smaller than the old.

I recently got an Eberlestock Just One Pack.  I really like it and doesn't seem to inhibit shooting.  Can hold a ton and has a neat way to expand.  Guess the key is to load it up with what you would have in it when hunting, start shooting and see how it works.
Nothing ruins a good hunt like pulling the trigger

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Already lots of great advice here. I'm also in the shoot with it on camp - practice ahead of time to gain confidence and let you work out any bugs.

I totally agree with the hydration requirement. Water bottles are not the same. To use many of them requires taking the pack off, and I don't want to waste time to do that constantly. The temptation is just not to drink as much as you should, and good hydration is to important to performace. Your body needs water more often than you think when hiking the mountains. Drink often, even when you aren't thirsty.  

Last year I shot a mule deer and an elk, both with the pack on. Both situations developed fast and I doubt - would have been able to get away with shucking my pack before shooting. But I knew the pack was not a problem and it never entered my mind to take it off. I don't make any excess movements when in close.

Experience in the mountains has also taught me the benefit of a pack that will haul at least your first load of meat back to the truck. Warm temps can make it important to get the meat out quickly, and if you are miles from the truck in rugged country the last thing you will want to do is hike back to the vehicle for a decent inernal or external frame pack. Be prepared to be succesful!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I always hunt with a pack, and never shoot a bow at a critter with it on...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I will say do both.  If you have a bull coming in don't fiddle with the pack.  But if you are settin up take it off and you will be able to move better, if you put in the time to make sure ou can shoot with it on.

I do most of my hunts a LONG ways from the truck and just quarter or bone out and put in my daypack.  I use a black creek Canadian and have hauled bears, pigs, and a whole deer and it does great and is not a bank breaker.

I think they updated it, mine has been in service for four years or so.

One thing to do on all packs is sew velrco strips on the end of the straps, 90deg to the strap, then you can keep those long straps from getting in your way.

Another thing I like is it has a orange sheet that comes out so I can relocate it when I get back from a stalk.

Nothing more annoying than spending an hou looking for a camo backpack in a brushy area, especially if your boots are with it!
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline coaltroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
I have used both and depending on the situation one may be better than the other. I find the older I get the less I want to pack around. If I am not going out all day or in the late (cold) part of season I usually just take a possibles bag with just a few needed items. Later in the season or on long days I will take the back pack for extra food, extra clothes, and since I have a little extra room some game bags. As stated above and I believe it is worth repeating. Practice with whatever you will use. Killed 2 elk in the last 3 seasons with a back pack on. You don't even think about it if you are used to shooting with it on. By the way. Either way I always pack a water filter with me so I don't have to pack as much water, 16 oz is more than enough and I just refill every time I cross water. Make sure you use a filter, them little water bugs can knock you down for a few days!

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I used to carry a big fanny pack with shoulder straps on it... if I'd not practiced with it on it seemed to cause my shot to go low... don't know if it was the straps restricting the shoulders as the bow came up or what... but would finally adjust to it...

Good advice on the hydration tubes... I've not done that but had other things get hung in the string... interesting developments... ha!

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I think that most of the things that I would say have been covered.

I use a badlands 2200. I know Terry and others mentioned about practicing with it on. Practice with is full of your hunting gear and water. It is not hard to shoot but it is a different feel.

Andy mentioned securing loose straps. That very thing cost me a deer once. Very valuable input there.

I also am a person that if given the chance I will drop my pack. Dont forget to mark it with something though. They can be hard to find. :banghead:  GPS, Arrow, tape,or landmark just use something. That is big country and you will go a long ways following an elk and not know it.

Find something that is comfortable for you to wear with the appropriate gear that is needed. hen go get your elk then tell us the story and show us the pictures. Good Luck to you.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©