3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you do it????  (Read 730 times)

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you do it????
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
How do you guys and gals keep calm and pick a spot at the moment of truth on a big game animal?  I can shoot at small game and varmints without any trouble, but when a deer gets in range I fall apart.  When I see the animal approaching I tell myself over and over to pick a hair, pick a hair, pick a hair!!  Then when it's in range my whole body gets numb and tingly and I always shoot at the whole deer.  So how do you guys keep your cool until after the shot?

thanks,
Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you do it????
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Not that I'm braggin but it just dont bother me when a deer walks up, to me if I drag somethin to the house great and if I dont great, Ive had a good time anyway.

Thers a post I read just the other day basicly with the same question as yours and one of the replies that stuck in my head, a guy said it mite help to draw down on a smaller deer that you dont intend to release on just for practice,and it mite help deal with the buck fever when a larger buck walks up.
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Whew I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem been hunting for 8 seasons now and can hit small game no problem, but when it comes to deer I fall apart so I'm no help but I'll be watching this one for advise also

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
This might sound weird, but I create my own spot.  I imagine a red dot from a laser sight where I want to shoot the deer.  As soon as I make the decision that I'm going to take the deer, I stop looking at anything but that spot.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
I get wound up no matter what I shoot at. It helps if the animal in question;

1. Gives me no time to think and I have to shoot due to haw fast it came in or
2. Gives me tons of time just out of range so I can calm down before it gets close enough.

Still hasn't worked out too well for me yet, maybe you better get some other advice!   :knothead:  

-Charlie

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
It helps to spend a lot of time close to deer and other game animals.Try to spend as much time as you can,before season getting close to them and working through an imaginary shot.You may not want to spook deer in your hunting area before season,doing this but you can do this anywhere even in parks.Try doing close stalks and use your camera while you are at it.Play the wind,make the draw and release.imagine this is the real thing.

The more time you spend close to deer,the calmer you will be when it happens hunting.All too often,when the deer comes into range for a shot,that may be one of the first deer we have been close to for several months.It gets exciting.

When the moment of truth comes,forget any thought about the outcome.Make it all about concentrating on making a good shot on a target,just like at home.Don't worry about not getting the deer or how great it will be to bring it home.Put any thoughts about success or failure out of your head and as much as you can,make it about the mechanics of the shot and the tiny spot you have picked to concentate on.Don't get too much tunnel vision however that you aren't also keeping track around you.There could be does watching you draw etc.

You also have know that your head won't explode if you don't get to take the deer home.At worst,you will get to keep hunting and you had some excitement.That's a very good thing.

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Well, I didn't at first!  After a bit of uhm practice it has come.  Now it's just second nature luckily.

I guess I just had to work at calming myself down.  I just had to shake it off in my mind.  lol, I still remember the first buck I shot at which was just a year and a half old 8 point.  I had just drilled a doe not even an hour before this guy walked in in the exact same place the doe did.  I simply got the jitters and didn't concentrate and it passed just under his chest.  He was bigger and I thought he was closer, but he wasn't.

I think I kind of rambled there, anyway, I relax a bit more now and I don't get the jitters until after the shot anymore.  Take a little bit of mental practice.  It just flows: deer, in range, good shot, release!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Be cocky about your shot AND your ability to make the shot.  Know in your heart that your arrow is absolutely going where you want it to.  If there is any doubt whatsoever don't take it.  i draw on every animal i can while i am in the stand if they are in a position that allows me to do that unobserved.  Early on, i had the same problem as you.  After the shot, the shakes come.  Practice and experience helps, but i don't want the feeling that you describe to ever go away completely.  That's why i go!  Try slowing your draw down a bit.  Hold your anchor for a second and then pull on thru to the shot after you ARE completely focused.  If not, you will miss or worse.  Been there, done that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
To be honest, 3D shooting has gotten me into such a habit of picking a spot that it's now automatic. Like any part of the shot sequence, constant repetition helps create a situation where it becomes second nature.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
thanks for the good advice.  I know the area I hunt I went almost all season without seeing anything and then one evening when I was about to call it quits a little 6pt comes feeding through.  I missed twice because my nerves got the best of me.  I'm gonna start spending some time on the 3D range.  Even when I'm driving and see deer out in a field I get excited; just ask my wife, I've scared her a few times by jumping out of my seat.  :D   It doesn't matter how much I see deer, I get very excited when I see fawns, does, or bucks.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  Wish I could always be calm, but it isn't going to happen.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Lots of good input for sure.

For me it is mental, I am a predator and I am doing as I was built to.  That helps a lot.  When I think of myself as a goofy two legged office chair weight I kinda get it in my head that when hunting I'm doing something "out of the ordinary" and I get nervous.  Not sure your background but in sports the first game of the season was always nerve rattling, but after that got easier and pretty soon it was just another day.  I think that is because mentally you start telling yourself that this is normal, not "holy crap look at all these people and lights, etc".

Works for me

I burn a hole in the animal and tell myself,  pappa's bringing home dinner.  Outside of that I don't think about much.  When the animal becomes a meal and not a walking antler holder I am much more focused.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
I'm gonna be dead honest with you.  I've killed enough deer to be able to contain my emotions, now.  I call it...just doing my job (what I'm out there to do).

But here's the honest part.....

I still get excited when I know I'm going to try to take an animal.  And...I hope I always do.  For one of us, it's a life or death situation.  I hope I never lose sight of that.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I've been hunting since age 5 and I've killed countless deer with a firearm and a couple handfuls with wheels and I get excited everytime.  I do believe that I get more excited with traditional tackle though because it feels so natural and I enjoy it more than any other type of hunting.  The area I hunted this year I never saw many deer but all the places I've hunted growing up and during my military travels I don't think I ever went a whole day without seeing a deer.  So maybe once I move back closer to home and get in an area where I see more deer I will calm down enough to make the shot and then fall apart like I do when hunting with other equipment.

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
for myself i try and concentrate on the spot i want to shoot and block out everything else around me.now when more then one deer is around it's kinda different because now you have to focus on other deer in the same location as for them not to spook. movement if neccessary may blow the whole deal,but when this happens,when more then one deer is around,i still have my main focus on the one i'm trying to shoot,but also paying close to attention to their body language.it is tough to keep it together at times but after awhile it'll come naturally.
Richard Battistoni

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I always think don't screw this up knowing I will not get very many opertunities. It usually works for me. After the shot I need a place to set because my legs are to shakey to stand!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I always get an immediate high when I see an animal that I am going to try to shoot.  Then I tell myself to "act like you've done this before" and I calm down.  After the shot is when I get the adrenaline shakes that I hear people talk about.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
Gregg, I'm gonna have to give that a try and see if it works for me also.  I might even put a little note that says that on my riser or limb so I see it when I'm drawing.

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
I think it gets easier with success. I used to get pretty nervous before the shot, and now, after haveing shot many animals with a bow I tend to keep it together until after the shot. Esp in cold weather. I shot the biggest buck of my life last year out of a treestand and never got a bit nervous before the shot. After though, I had to hold onto the tree I was shaking so bad. When I see an animal I get a little excited. When I decide I am going to shoot it everything goes on automatic mode until I let the arrow loose. That just seems to be how it is for me anyway.

Bisch

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
The more of them you shoot the easier it gets, so go get some more animals. Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©