3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to go about teaching a newbie?  (Read 333 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
How to go about teaching a newbie?
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Well, here's the deal guys.  I've got my future wife shooting trad with me. (she agreed to try it if I would be willing to try distance running)
Now she really enjoys it, but she's very competitive.  Every time I try to correct form issues, I can see she only gets frustrated.  Does anybody have some tips for teaching, I understand form and shooting but I'm having a hell of a time communicating these things to her.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to go about teaching a newbie?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Good deal - you both have time together doing things you like.

Being fairly new at this, for the last two years I have watched videos to get my shooting form where it is.  There are many good tips and videos in the "Member Video" and "Shooting" forums here on Trad Gang.  Maybe coming from someone else and having the visual reinforcement will help.

Have you seen the post about Rod Jenkins' Clinic at Lost Nation Archery?  

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=085003

Maybe the one on one with a champion for a coach would bring the peace.  

Best wishes for your life together.  My bride has no interest in archery or bow hunting.  You are a step ahead, my friend!
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Coaching a family member or really close friend is VERY difficult!  Find a good and disinterested coach for her!  She will tend to see any corrections or instruction you make as criticism -- this is very common.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Yep Moebow is right.  As for the best way stump shooting in my opinion is better for a beginner that anything else.  Stumping is fun and misses don't seem as big and less frustrating.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
Get Masters of the Barebow 3 and watch it together.  And then work with her and have her watch you.  Having a common knowledge base helps a bunch.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
With any newbie I'm working with the 1st thing I do is pull out my beginning archery reading and send it home with them. The 2nd thing I do is teach them to stand balanced so I can't shove them in the middle of the chest and cause them to lose balance. I haven't had any women yet so don't ask me how I'll teach that with a lady...lol I think balance is the best foundation to begin teaching the art of archery. My 2 cents worth.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
here's what i did with my son. i took him out back,handed him the bow and told him to shoot. after looking at his form and release told him what needed to be corrected,showed him how to do it and told him to shoot some more. well after shooting and hitting in front of the target and over it,i made him move up to 5 yds. after he was hitting the target i let him move back 5 more yards.now when he missed the target he had to start over again.he ended up getting his form and release to be very good and now he shooting out to 25 yards,and to top it off he's only 8 years old. getting frustrated with someone will not work,and my son also did not want to hear me at times but did listen and did improve greatly.
Richard Battistoni

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I think Wingnut nailed it perfectly. MBBIII!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©