3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heaters for small tents  (Read 1158 times)

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Heaters for small tents
« on: February 13, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I have a 3 man 4 season tent that is just the right size for me and my gear.Went out in 14 deg weather and froze my butt off.I used my backpacking stove and it heated the tent up in seconds.The trouble was is that I got a headdache from lack of oxygen.You wouldn't dare go to sleep with it running.I was fine in my sleeping bag but in the A.M. it was cold.What would be a good heat source?

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heaters for small tents
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
The small Mr. Buddy heater should work just fine but I would make sure I had plenty of ventilation. No vent, no use.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
I don't personally use them.They scare the H out of me.Instead I use a sleeping bag and good insulated pad that are warm enough for the temperature I'm in.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
Mr. Buddy heater. I have the big buddy heater, you don't one this big. Just the buddy heater. A little ventalation is all you need.  I will not go camping or hunting in really cold weather without mine. LOVE IT.

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
One bonus to the big buddy heater is it has a battery operated fan that if your in a hurry to get warm helps.But I think my tent is 12x14?I've used mine for a few years down to freezing temps.
 The little one doesnt have the fan and doesnt put out the btus that the big buddy does but is smaller and a bit cheeper
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I'm a big wimp so I have the big one.I turn it on high to get the tent warm then turn it down th hold the temp.

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
I generally use a couple candle lanterns hanging or sitting(on something sturdy).It doesn't get hot by any means but it does seem to take the chill off.I only use them while awake -- it's that whole idea of waking up thing.
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
Wvtradbow,you are either alot tougher than me or have bigger candle lanterns than I have ever seen.
 If your dealing with freezing temps,that doesnt sound verry cozy-But I admire the commitment
 just be safe out there

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
You really need some kind of vent- unless you totally believe that the shutoff for the little buddy heater will work when the air runs low.

A big canvas tent will breathe pretty good; and a woodstove burning wood all night will not hurt you; but I once woke up for a morning hunt; and my hunting buddy was on the other side of a nylon tent behind a divider wall. I took a knife and cut a slit in the tent to breathe through- or it probably would have killed me. He was making breakfast with a propane stove; and had passed out.
 NO ventilation- well now there is. I think with the small propane tank the little buddy heater will burn for about 4 hours- with a longer hose and a bigger tank it will burn all night- but in a closed nylon type tent... well some guys up here just found a tent with a body in it.

Your sleeping bag should be warm enough to keep you sleeping soundly until you wake up and turn on the heater.

During normal; not sub zero temps; I used to sit around in the cook tent until bed time - then go to my unheated tent for the night. It is good to have a heater for drying out clothes and warming up-  just be careful !!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
coleman heaters are made to be used in tents, as they are catalized. I use the coleman sportcat and haven't had any problems with it

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=3000
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I use a BIG tent, and can warm it up to tolerable levels in sub-freezing weather with a couple of propane lanterns. A small Mr Buddy gets it like home.

I am not out there to be home. I am out there to be close to the hunting, close to the woods. It will get cold in the tent at night, but generally the water bottles don't freeze in there. I turn on the heater in the morning, get out, get dressed and turn it off. Turn it on at dark, peel down and get in the bag, turn it off. Managing ventilation is both for safety and for moisture control in the tent. You give off a lot of moisture as you live and breathe, and the warm/cold sides of the tent make for condensation.

A smaller tent heats up well with just a lantern. Just be sure to budget air for the both of you, and don't expect to be able to stretch out in your skivvies like you were in your living room in front of the TV. Unless your skivvies are long sleeved and long pantsed wool and Thermax.   :D  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline wojo124

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
I use a Mr. Buddy heater in my tent on later november deer hunts....I take a legnth of clothes dry exhaust pipe with a piece of small screen on the end that stays out side and put the other end dirctly in front of the heater and crack a couple windows.....no headaches. been doing this for 6 years now.  :thumbsup:
Hollenbeck 64" longbow 50#@28"
Northern Mist 66"longbow 53#@27"
Early 80's 64"Custom Bighorn 66#@29"
pick your spot and burn a hole.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
also get yourself a canvas tent. holds the heat alot better and yes Killy my tent is warm enough that I can sleep in my skivies  using my sleeping bag as a blanket or sometimes sleeping on top of my sleeping bag. :-)
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
All my tents are backpack. Never used a tent heater, never will. I'm skeered of waking up dead. Try a good reflecting solar blanket.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
well you definatly need to keep a window cracked!  That is like rule #1 for heating a tent.  We use kerosene.  It gets pretty darn cold at night during deer season.  I am talking that with the heater full bore if you set something down on the ground it will freeze, but cot level stays right toasty, just dont stand up or you will bake, lol.  Where we hunt the little propane jobs dont keep up.  We have a 6x6 canvas tent I think, and it fits the two of us and all our gear fine.  But it is canvas.  Canvas is almost a must for cold weather!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline lisjak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
Did anyone tried this:

http://www.heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm

I don't know how it works, but it is simple and it is worth to try!

Offline JARHEAD1371

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 03:02:00 AM »
Around here we use a sunflower on top of a BBQ propane tank when we are out ice fishing. On low it was plenty to heat the ice shack in -25 deg temps. One tank lasts almost an entire season. It would not be fun to pack in or out.
Active Duty Marines '96-'04 Medically Retired

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
I've used the round Kerosun heaters for years in my canvas tents without any more brain damage than normal. I found that the round ones work best since the heat goes every direction whereas the rectangle heats are too directional for my needs.

I never tied my doors or windows shut, just let them hang.Then take a small can with both ends cut out and place it under the bottom of one of the walls. I guess that allowed enough fresh air to move through as I never had a problem.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Nope. Like a couple other guys on here, I'm not waking up dead.

I use a proper sleeping bag and I'm fine.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©