3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool  (Read 495 times)

Offline gokartjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Hello all!

I am new to this forum and new to traditional archery.

I am looking to purchase some wool. I am really leaning towards Bemidji Woolen Mills products. I know they sew some products for Gray Wolf Woolens, and some other companies.

I have three questions:

1.) I am first off looking for some reviews or inputs of their products. There isnt alot of info out their on theur products. Anyone have positive or negative experiences/input?
2.) And, next I would like some recomendations of which shirt/jacket/coat to go with. I really like the looks of the Voyageur Jac Coat.
3.) And, anyone have any comparison of their 100% virgin wool vs. their 85/15 blend?
4.) Lastly, any pointers of which of their plais/patterns/colors to go with? (they dont offer much for "earthy" tones..)

Thanks for all info and input!!

Jon

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Contact "whip" and he can guide you in the direction of Gray Wolf. I don't know squat about them but have heard good things. If you need some info on Sleeping Indian or King of The Mountain wool, I could try and help you. Good luck.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
Welcome to the campfire! I can't help you with the wool you are asking about, but I'm sure someone that can will be along. You might check out the Asbell wool products. Alot of members here have given great feedback on it, and I'm going to get some for next season. Very good prices too. There is a banner above for the site.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Don't have any info on the companies you are asking about.  I hunt in the grey longbunter shirt from Ron LaClair and Shrew bows.  I love it!  Wore it out in o-40 degree temps this season.  Just change what goes under it depending on the temp.  Not too bulky, great fit, kept me warm and dry in wet snow, American made.  Could not ask for more!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline jefffunff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
the longhunter shirt is outstanding!
NRA Life Member

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Well, I just happen to be the Queen of Wool...LOL!   :bigsmyl:  I own Bemedji, Gray Wolf, Swandri, KOM, Filson and others.  Yes, I love wool...

Now, back to your questions.  The warmest wool coat I own is the insulated Bemedji coat with the map/game pocket.  It is amazing!  The down side from a hunting point of view is that the coat's lining makes it too noisy to bow hunt big game in. For other purposes, however, it is super.

I also own a green and black Bemidji shirt/jac in the 85/15 wool blend.  The wool is heavy, the weave is nice and tight, and it is a durable jacket.  Used alone, it works well unless the weather is getting pretty cold.  In that event, adding an additional layer of wool (shirt or vest perhaps)and you'll stay warm in a wide variety of temperatures.  Personally, I think that this garment is a good buy for the money.  In addition, it is dead quiet.

Gray Wolf makes some nice stuff....as does KOM.  With these items, you get the benefit of camo and can add custom features.  They are both excellent and I use mine (in addition to the Bemidji shirt jac) every year while bowhunting.  They have proven to be invaluable tools.

If you have any other questions, just ask and I'll try to help.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor and (as has been mentioned) check out Ron's Longhunter shirt and/or the Asbell pullovers.  I have one of each and love them.

Offline gokartjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
I am somewhat knowledgeable about wool. And, I have looked into the various products listed above. I have talked to the owner of Sleeping Indian and Gray Wolf Woolens as well. I just don't have the cash right now to sink into Gray Wolf, Sleeping Indian, or KOM.
The owner of Gray Wolf told me that some of their Northwoods line are sewn by Bemidji. And, I called and talked to a rep at Bemidji. They were very pleasant, have a lifetime waranty, and the price seems right.
I was wondering if anyone here had experience with their products. I like the looks of their products, and they make longs (which I need). I was hoping someone had some good and some bad to say about their product.

I will have to look more into the LaClair and Asbell products. I have read up on them a little bit...

Thanks
Jon

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
For layering garments go to Goodwill, Volunteers of America or other Thrift stores. Today picked up 2 nice wool sweaters, a LL Bean and Lands end for $1 each, the LL bean was brand new. Wool doesnt sell well overall, they are usually glad to get rid ofit. My wife recently picked me up a Dark green/blue blaid wool coat, with quilted liner at a thirft store, new for $2 on the closeout stuff!
samuel koger

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
koger, I'm with you 100%. I've put up some good $ for wool that I just had to have. Now I review the classifieds on TradGang to purchase the real nice stuff. Other than that, I check thrift stores, consignment clothing stores and Goodwill.
"And if you don't believe this story is true, ask George, he'll tell you to".
Nothin wrong with old Pendleton, Woolrich, Johnson, or any other good wool in plaids and plain earth tone colors.
I give you my word on it.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline gokartjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Man, you guys must have some really good thrift stores. I have gone to everyone in a 50 mile radius. I found one nice Pendleton shirt for $2.00. I did find one nice Pendleton Jac Shirt for $10, but it was way too small for me.
I am probably going to go with a set of Woolrich Malone bibs. I can get them from the local outlet mall for pretty cheap since my wife is a mall employee and they are on clearance. Just need to finish off with a coat or heavy shirt...

Thanks for the input so far!

Jon

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I think George has informed them and now they charge like $3 to $5. Still a bunch better than $30 or $50
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Just got the LL Bean hunting catalog and saw that they have Merino wool longjohns, about $100 for the set. I'm very, very tempted...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Don,
Bite the bullet, spend the  $$$ ONCE and buy you a set of Ullfrotte' 400 gr long johns. We wear ours from Nov thru Jan just about every hunt as the perfect base layer. Wool breathes like no other, stays warm when damp, comfortable over a wide range of temps. When it drops to teens we slip on a $3 Goodwill wool sweater over that, then your outer layer of Predator fleece that is windproof and warm as toast. We hunted several mornings this year when it was 9 degrees and stayed warm for 4 hrs on stand. Remember to cover your head good and chemical hand warmers for your coat pockets and good to go. Did I mention the fact that we LOVE wool ???

nocams  :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
i started using day one camo wool and it is inexpensive and nice. I use also King of the MOuntain and also very nice, but a lot more expensive. woolpower long underwear is a great investment!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
merino wool longjohns can make all the difference! Awhile back, I was working in an open structure, from 100'-125' in the air. Temps in the teens with wind 30-40 mph. It was a bit chilly. First day I wore a synthetic blend long underwear rated for sub zero weather. FROZE my butt off. Same weaher conditions on day two, but swapped for my merino wool lj's. Can't say I was toasty warm, but I was much more comfortable and ended up working an additional 4 hours to make it 12 for the day. A woolen base layer is the key. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I have found that the washable wools and blended wools will not shed the rain like pure wool.  I don't have any of the top end wool though.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Mike Gibbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
Here's one for sale. 100% wool, made by the Blanket Brigade from a new Hudson Bay Blanket.  Thick. Much thicker than Fred's.

Not a warmweather shirt.  Has a cape, which had double thickness over the shoulders. Pull over, with V lace up throat.  Falls beyond the knees.  Would probably be considered a "large."  I wear a medium shirt, and this is too big for for me if I don't wear something heavy under it, then I get too hot.  
I pay shipping.  I'll hold your payment until you get a chance to see it and try it on.  Will return at your expense. I'll try to post a pic.  

Well, phooey. I can't get the photo transferred. It has no http prefix.  I'll try later.

Offline Mike Gibbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
http://www.corel.com

See if this works

Offline Mike Gibbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Nope, sorry.

Users currently browsing this topic: