3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool  (Read 496 times)

Offline gokartjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
I ended up making my own shirt out of a woolrich army blanket. I will post some pics later today.

Offline gokartjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Here are some pics. I still need to work on the neck area. Not sure if I am going to have it lace or button...

Offline gokartjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
For you guys that have pullovers, how do the laces work? Are the lace holes stiched around? Or are they just holes in the material?

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
A wool pullover I had made.  Bought the wool from Johnson Woolen Mills.

It's 100% wool.  I find the 85/15 blends to be a bit itchy.  But I know others who feel the opposite.
Otto

Offline harvestmoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
Try Sportsman's Guide military surplus.  I now have two of their sweaters which are made to standards not normally found in regular retail.
Prices are way less than half what you would expect to pay for the quality.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Found a site called Campmor on the web that has Merino wool underwear for about half what other places are asking. One version is lined with silk.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Gokartjon, I like your Army Blanket Pullover. I was just watching the YouTube Videos of different "BushCraft" inspired ones guys are making. I'm going to be making one for myself shortly.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with Stanfields wool union suit? I believe they are a wool blend but don't see them much. I think they are made in Canada.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
I'm a dyed in the wool user as are many.  I have surplus wool, filson, KOM, Bemidji, Stanfields longunderware, most likely some others. The KOM is my only camo wool, quality is top notch.  I say most of the wool I own is higher end quality.  Yes some pricier than others.  I buy a peice at a time here and there and after a few years you have plenty.  I thing my KOM pants, vest, jacket,hats, gloves, gaiters most likely took 5 years to buy. All my wool is used at one time or another during the colder months and I don't regret buying one peice of it.  If I had a local dealer of some other Camo wool I might have bought that but the local KOM dealer was at our local shoot for years and still attends other local events. It nice to deal with local folks. All my Bemidji wool was bought in Bemidji.

Been using the Stanfield Longunderwear top and bottom for almost 20years in MN, have 2 sets. Goog value for the money.  There might better wool out there these days but mine arn't wore out.  Have not used their union suit.

Only problems I've had with wool has be getting too hot and not vetalting layering on and off properly.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
You should take a look at Day One Camo. Nice wool pullovers in many camo patterns
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©