3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is your favorite quiver style?  (Read 896 times)

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your favorite quiver style?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Like many of you,I haven`t found that perfect quiver.But it seems i keep going back to the bow quiver(for deer hunting).When small game hunting,I`ll use a back quiver.  :archer:
Harold Wetzler

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I found that a bow quiver changed my arrow spine, and it was hard to work through thick cover. For the last decade or so I've used my bow quiver on my back cat-quiver style by hanging it with leather laces. I hook the laces together after running one end under my belt. Arrows are out of the way of brush and easy to get to. They also are hidden from game while stalking.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jon Shade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I've used and still own many different types of quivers. But, I always seem to go back to my Cat quiver I. It does require some practice taking an arrow from and reinserting though. I've recently been thinking about trying a GFA side quiver or making one simular to it.

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
I voted side quiver. I've spent a lot of money on quivers over the years till I started using a Safari Tuff Arrowmaster........IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Back quiver

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Bow quivers dont change arrow spine. Adding weight to a bow can change how an arrow reacts out of a specific bow due to a dynamic change on arrow flight. Static spine stays the same. If putting a bow quiver on your bow causes poor arrow flight....the arrows were never right to begin with or they were to close to the stiff or weak side of spine. Start with correctly spined arrows tuned for your bow and tune with your quiver on for the ultimate arrow flight. This statement implies all bow quivers...no matter the model or what a manufactuer would tell you.

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
I prefer a bow quiver for deer hunting but I recently purchased an Arrow Master to use Turkey Hunting this spring and 3d shooting in the summer.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
I Voted Bow Quiver to Hunt With, but it all depends on  WHAT  I am Doing! Stumping & Messing Around, Sorry,  ROVING  :thumbsup:   ...I prefer a Back Quiver. If I am Showin' off at the Local Range/Shop I use a Side Quiver. I do believe I have Every Quiver Created.. But a Lakota Quiver, so far!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
I have always been a bow quiver guy and it looks like I always will be.I have used an Asbell and plan to use a Catquiver for cat hunting.

I do like a bow quiver that hugs the bow very close,with the hood not protruding much past the riser and the fletch angled back,to be next to the lower limb tip.Set up like that,distributes the weight a little better and it glides through the brush better.

I just put this 5 arrow one together using a Great Northern gripper,a Delta bracket system and a hood that I made from fiberglass.It is fairly light at 7 oz. and is oriented to the bow exactly as I like mine to be.I don't find them bothersome and they may even help stabilize my bow,especially the lighter mass ones.

I think a lot of it has to do with starting out hunting with one when I was a kid in the '60's,but it just seems handy.If I have the bow,the arrows are always at my finger tips and in my view.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
For hunting, I HATE them all!  The only one I can live with is the Cat - the small one.  H

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Hill style BQ.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
I like bow quivers. I do all my hunting from treestands and always take the quiver off when I get up the tree.

Online 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Some guys have put a bow quiver on their bow and then experienced bad arrow flight. It was obvious that the extra weight of the quiver caused the arrow to hit to the left. Many of them took the quiver off and never put one back on.

A couple of years ago I gathered several popular bow quivers in order to test them along with our ultra-light EFA bowquivers. They were each installed on two different bows and shot at a 1" dot at about 15 yards by two different shooters. The bows were also shot without quivers for comparison.

The results were both bows with the EFA 4 arrow quiver shot exactly the same as the bow did without the quiver. Also, each of the two archers had the same results. The other quivers generally shot about 2 inches left of the dot at that 15 yards. This test was repeated several times for accuracy. Each quiver was filled with 4 arrows with these arrows being removed one at a time and shot for this testing.  

The immediate thought was to attribute the difference to the different weights of the quivers. The EFA quiver was by far the lightest at 5.2 ounces so that would explain why it performed best. However, one of the larger and heavier quivers performed better than a medium weight quiver. That seemed to indicate that there is more involved then just weight. Things like how it fastens, distance from the limbs, and where it's located all play some part.

The EFA bowquivers are designed to not change how your bow shoots. If you look at the avatar to the left you will see the same EFA quiver tested, being used on a Saluki horsebow. I also used this same quiver on a Beeler longbow to win the "Eagle Eye" at Denton Hill.

Our quiver is not for everyone though, some guys will want to carry 6 or more arrows. For that they will have to use someone else's quiver and will have to make the adjustment to how it changes the shot.

"Travel light with Eagle's Flight"

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I like fairly stiff, big back quivers for general use.  For big game hunting, I really like side quivers.

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
I think bow mounted quivers are the most convenient and accessible way to carry your arrows in nearly any situation.  They are not getting in the way anymore that what your bow already is and they can also help stabilize and quieting your bow.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
Bow quivers dont change arrow spine. Adding weight to a bow can change how an arrow reacts out of a specific bow due to a dynamic change on arrow flight. Static spine stays the same. If putting a bow quiver on your bow causes poor arrow flight....the arrows were never right to begin with or they were to close to the stiff or weak side of spine. Start with correctly spined arrows tuned for your bow and tune with your quiver on for the ultimate arrow flight. This statement implies all bow quivers...no matter the brand or what a manufactuer would tell you.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
I love a bow quiver, especially on a longbow. Like others have stated, having everything in one area to maneuver quietly and with less snags in the woods is crucial for me. It also helps me keep my arm a bit more stable with the added weight.

I get bored sometimes though. I used my backquiver this weekend. It was nice when we were in an open field but I didn't like how hard it was to draw quickly.

I also took a spill off a 6 foot brush pile and was lucky I didn't bend an arrow or stab myself!

I like em' on my bow where I can see them.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
I use the bow quiver,most are really light and well designed;then on elk hunting with bulky backpacks is the only one really handy.Maybe from a tree stand in the future I can look for something different.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Dan White

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I have tried other bow quivers and not been satisfied for one reason or another. I order a new quiver this week. It is a Kanati Angle bow quiver with limb bolt mounts. I have only heard good things about them and John made me laugh. Not much else to it.

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Any thing thats not on the bow...
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©