3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead for Moose  (Read 578 times)

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead for Moose
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
I'm currently shooting Woodsman 150 gr Broadheads for whitetail hunting. I have a trip to northern ontario this september to moose hunt. I'm shooting 3555 Goldtip out of my Acadian recurve that is 50# at my draw length (29 3/4"). I get great arrow flight with the combination.
Should i switch to a two blade broadhead or is the 3 bladed woodsman a good head for moose?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead for Moose
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Sharp 2-blade

Offline mountain trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
I'd look at the Aboywer Brown Bears.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
Like the Legend says:)

Maybe and Abowyer Brown Bear or something like it nice and sharp?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
I think I'd stick with a Woodsman or Razorcap personally...  Might even go with a Snuffer 125 or 160...  I'd probably use one of my 73# / 74# Cougars with my 75/95 Goldtips and any of the heads weighted to 200 grains.  I'd be willing to bet that broadhead would be out if not sticking in the dirt out the other side.  If I were to use one of my 60# - 65# Shawnees I'd opt for a 2-blade.  Probably a Silver Flame DS or XL, Magnus 1, or Zephyr Sasquatch.  I like the looks of the new Centaur heads but haven't tried them as of yet...  If I were forced to go with my lighter Cougar (55#) I'd probably use the Steel Force 2-blades I have.

So, long story short, I'd probably go with a narrowish 2-blade if I were in your situation and had moose on the agenda...  Magnus Stinger, Steel Force, Silver Flame, STOS, Grizzly to name a few, but there are others.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 02:40:00 AM »
I have never hunted moose, but with your setup I think a Woodsman would make him want to lay down and take a nap. Hap

Offline ironhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
The set-up that worked great for me was a two blade that a good friend of mine makes that has the same profile as a grizzly, a douglas fir barrel taperd shaft,5 1/2" feathers for a grand total wieght of 675 gr and out of a 68# longbow it did the trick. Hope this helps.

Offline Tuttu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 03:10:00 AM »
I've used 3 blades for all my moose hunts.  I got a pass through on one and plenty of penetration for the others.  I think you'll be fine with your set up.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 03:38:00 AM »
The last two I shot I used woodsmans on a 55/75 gold tip, 50# widow.  One passed through and the other went into the feathers and turned his lungs to jello as he ran away.  Neither made it more than 100 yards before they were done.

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
USe a bowweight your comfortable shooting accurately, razorsharp 2 or 3 blade.....put the arrow where it needs to be and enjoy some moose steaks!
ARCHER

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Stick with the Woodsmen! I was planning a moose hunt for this fall, unfortuanately it fell through, I was planning on using the WW.
Couple of reasons why,
1-It flies beautiful
2-It is the head I can get VERY VERY sharp.
3-Many very large animals have fallen to this head (moose, buffalo, eland, etc)
4-I have killed many deer with the WW and had great penetration.
Just my two cents

chris <><

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Make sure you piramid the tip and use the set up you have. If they fly great with what you have stay with it and take a good shot.
You are confident in your set up for deer so the moose is just a big deer.

Tim

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the input!

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
your good, sharp and in the right spot is the key....,
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
from the sounds of it your arrow may be too light..most agree that game of that size require arrows that weigh about 600 gr...give or take.

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
What's the best way to up my arrow weight?

I'm arond 434 best i guess.

434 = 150 broadhead + 8.6 gr/in * 30 inches (i shoot full length arrow + 14.6 grs (insert)+ 11 gr (knock).

so whats the best way to get to 600 without affecting spine and arrow flight?

Michael

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
Sounds like we have almost identical set ups.  You probably can't add weight to your present arrows (35/55) without effecting spine and flight characteristics.  I went with the heavier 55/75s and weight loaded the tips with 150 gr and left them at 30.5 inches long to soften the spine a little.  They weigh in at 490 grains.  It is all you need.  Moose are not all that tough if you punch them in the chest.  Like I said earlier I got a pass through with wensels and the above set up, using a 50#@30 widow at 33 yards.  You will be fine with a 500 grain set up.

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Bill - thanks for the info.  I was hoping not to have to buy another dozen arrows.  But if i have to i will.

Has anyone used the weight tubes that 3 rivers sells?  Do they change spine?

Michael

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
I'd go with something close to what Coaster500 has.  I haven't shot moose but I have shot buffalo.  The outfitter in Australia doesn't even allow 3 blade heads on trad gear for buff. Abowyer (as well as lots of the other 2 blade, single bevel heads) I believe will be your best bet.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
A number of years ago I read about Bob Morrison experimenting with upping carbon arrow weight by adding weight to the front end. Nowadays it's referred to as EFOC. I tried it and found that his premiss that this increased penetration held true for me. Ever since then I have been shooting arrows with 200-225 grains of weight up front. I did the same for my wife who shoots only 45# and she shoots thru everything she has killed so far and she uses four blade Phantoms. If you are willing to put a little time into it I would go with a stiffer arrow with a heavier weight on the point end. I am not sure you need to change your broadhead as shot placement is what is going to make the biggest difference in outcome. There are lots of ways to get the point weight up, the easiest being using the 100 grain bh adapters available from 3Rivers or Morrison. I would also go with a skinny shaft like the Axis, Beman MFX or Full Metal Jacket and for your set up I think the 400 spine would be suitable. If any thing you may have to add a bit more weight in the front but that would only enhance penetration....not a bad thing. You have plenty of time to get ready so have fun. No matter what you wind up with a straight flying hunting arrow should trump all other considerations...even if the arrow seems a bit on the light side. A poor flying heavy arrow will disappoint you. Most important consideration is accuracy and scary sharp broadheads.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©