3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead for Moose  (Read 579 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead for Moose
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
When all is said and done...

A 2 blade head will out-penetrate a 3 blade head on the same hit (assuming like-sized heads). With moose, it's all about penetration. Act accordingly.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Does the WW fly well in your setup?

If it does, don't even ask the question.  If you still need that reassurance, check the replies from the AK gangers......my guess is, if they bothered to reply, they have used them multiple times (nice place to live - moose country).

I believe folks fret entirely too much about whether or not this broadhead or that broadhead is more appropriate for this species or that species.......any well made broadhead these days that will actually fly well and tune with your setup will no doubt take most game that one would be willing to fling an arrow at.

Any broadhead NOT in that category is probably a marketing ploy designed for the wheelie bow crowd that seems more concerned with what the advertisement claims and how it looks than if it will actually kill something.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Back in 1980 when I shot my moose in Canada, I used a 55# Wing Comp II, 2117 arrow, Zwickey Eskimo broadhead,he piled up at less than 100 yds,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
tatersalad,
If you want to up yourtotal arrow weight and do not want to fuss with another set of arrows, then fill those 35/55 with either a 2gr. or 3gr. weight tube.
I have not had weight tubes effect spine with my setups.
If you do want to fuss with all new arrows, then I would recommand the 55/75 with 100gr. inserts.

chris <><

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Check out the new Centaur broadheads. Watch the video on his website. You will be impressed. I bought 3 of them to try out and they are tough,cut a huge hole and sharpen well.
Out Door Dan

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
The broadhead sounds o.k., but I would switch to a heavier arrow. Beman MFX 400, around 30.5" with 100 grain brass insert. That would get your arrow wieght up nicely and should fly well out of your set-up.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Adding weight to Gold Tips the inexpensive easy way...

50' of 1/8" poly rope from fall apart Mart is less than $3.00...  50' will do a bunch of arrows.

Cut to length (remember to subtract the insert and nock lengths inside the shaft) melt the ends to prevent fraying and insert.
I've used this method for years and the rope at least for me has never messed with my tuned arrow spine.  Adds right at 100 grains to my 28" arrows.
Quick and easy..

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
You'll be fine. Use what you have confidence in. I've shot four with 3-blade (two with Snuffers, two with Woodsman)and one with a STOS. None have gone more than 70 yds.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Sounds like the weight tubes or Fall Apart Mart solution will be the best for me.  I've always struggeled with getting good arrow flight and for whatever reason...if i use the typical weight charts i don't get good arrow flight...i've really pulled my hair out trying to understand why my arrow flight doesnt match the recommend arrow weights.  All i know is that for some reason the 3555's fly great in my 45 lb Zipper and 50 lb Acadian woods bow..and that i hate to mess with a good combo!

My WW do fly great but you guys got me second guessing on the 2 blade broadhead...i definately agree 2 will out penatrate 3 any day.  Guess i'll have to experiment with different heads to see if i get good flight with 2 blade broadheads...been a while since i shot my 2 blade Zwickey and Magnus heads.  From my memory the arrow flight was not as good as the 3 blade WW for me.  Could have been a result of bad arrow spine match with my bow.

Doing a little more research on the Ontario bowhunting regulations it appears that the requried draw weight is 48.5lb draw weight at 27.6 inches or less.  The metric units are 22kg at 700mm.  

I think my bow is going to just miss it!  I'm guessing they don't consider draw length in the analysis becaues a bow hunter could fake a long draw lenght to get above the pound weight number.  

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Its obvious at my draw length i would be shooting more weight than someone shooting a 48.5 lb at 27.6 inches....but the way i read the regulations it doesn't allow for draw length consideration.

Thanks
michael

Online TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Michael:

I hunted Moose in Ontario last Fall and read the regulations just the way you do -- I do not think they consider the fact that you draw the bow further than 27.6 inches.  I was using a bow marked 47# at 28" but I draw 30".  As a result, I used a heavier bow so I didnt run into a problem. I am not sure how they would ever check it in the field but I didnt want there to be any question as to whether my setup was legal.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
Looks like its time for a new bow  :)  If it is sharp and flies well AND you have confidence in the set up, don't change it. Make a good shot from a reasonable distance with a sharp head and eat well.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I've killed a lot of moose. I prefer a heavy arrow and use a two blade.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Nooooooooooooo new bows!  My wife would file for a divorce for sure...i definately can't afford that!

Ken - thanks for the advise...i'm definately adding weight...just got to play with the 2 blade broadheads to find the right ones!

Looks like I'm off to have my bow pulled to 27.6 inches to see what poundage i'm at!  I'm guessing I'm going to be a pound or two low for Ontario's regulations.  

What would you guys do....hunt with the 50 pound bow at 29 1/2 inches and risk being caught for being under by a couple pounds...really kind of stupid rule if you ask me...but rules are rules! Or would you follow the rules and pick another bow from your stable?

I'm torn...i waited about 9 months to get my new Acadian Woods bow built specifically for this trip....and i may be forced to leave it at home....that's not fair (yeah who said life is fair...i know i know).  It's like asking the homecoming queen to the prom, her telling you yes and than taking your sister!!!  

Michael

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Michael; get your arrow weight up to 500 gr. and you will be fine with the WW and 50# Bow !! Good luck!

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Stay with the woodsman and sufficient arrow weight or consider the new solid 1 pc terminator/woodsman.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Tater, I think moose were invented to be hunted with a longbow.  Can you shoot a longbow?

If you can, I have a couple with a little more weight that I'll loan you to try.  The last guy I loaned one to killed four elk with it.  They just hang on the peg, otherwise.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Mark U

Thanks for the offer...i've shot and made several longbows and find i shoot better with a curve.  I do have one heavier curve...just hate to draw back anything greater than 50 pounds.  

Thanks again for the fine offer...4 elk...almost consider borrowing one just for the mojo that you got on them bows!

Michael

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
tatersalad.............sent you a pm!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
The carbon express heritage 150's are the same spine and weigh 10 GPI. I think you would be right on the money weight wise if you wanted to be closer to 500 grains or 10gpp setup.
Bob

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »
I would contact them directly with the question.

In the yukon they allow this:

Bowhunting
When hunting big game with a bow, hunters must use a bow having a draw weight
of at least 20 kg (45 lbs) at your draw length, and must use broadhead arrows at
least 710 mm (28 in.) in length.

This is what I am trying to change below - GIVE ME A BREAK - is there a ARMOUR PLATED BISON OUT THERE...

Bison hunters are not permitted to hunt with a bow.

I am sure it would be tough to hunt them with JUST A BOW.

Well what about a bow and ARROW you idiots

Sorry - we have so much game up here that you can't hunt unless you have a permit (draw) or trappers licence.

Heck you have to win a lottery to buy land.

One of the draw backs, but I am working on it

jer Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©