3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What to use for bunnies?  (Read 198 times)

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
What to use for bunnies?
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
I am going on my first trad bunny hunt next Sat. wondering what type of arrow fletch standard or flu-flu. And which tip I have ace small game hammers,blunts,field tips,or broadheads. We have about 8 inches of snow and would like half a chance to recover my arrows if they are off the mark. This hunt will be with some well trained beagles hopefully they won't be laughing at me.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to use for bunnies?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Dean... no field points!! They don't cut or create shock. A large faced blunt is a much better choice. The Hammer, Ace, Magnus blunt, Barta blunt are all excellent choices.

A small broadhead is pretty fool proof as well, though they glance and/or deflect easilly. Keep em sharp if you use them.
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Hi Dean..I just shared your exact same experience for the first time yesterday! In Michigan as well, and yes...in the snow lol.

Honestly, anything will work but you probably ain't finding your arrow with a field point. I shot two yesterday with a judo point and a Saunders bludgeon tip - the ones that look like little meat hammers made out of plastic.

The Saunders bashes and breaks every bone it makes contact with. The judo will go through the bunny and tear it up. They both work but you are right - in this snow, you will probably lose an arrow. IMO, a really heavy arrow works great in the quiver for a cover shot when they hide!

Also...another option is to put a steel washer behind a blunt or rounded field point. 85 cents and they are great!
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Check with the dog owners to see if they allow broadheads, they may not. I am going on a hunt next weekend and am using wingnuts under my fiels points. Good weight, bludgeoning power, tear em up a little and really cheap.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Check with the dog owners to see if they allow broadheads
Good point!

Hunting with dogs is an experience. Those beagles can get really quiet when they are rooting around in cover.

Always know where the dog is.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
Hi Dean....if by chance your going to the michigan bunny stomp at sleepy hollow..... we will be using judos, blunts, or small game heads...no broadheads or field points are allowed for safety reasons....I personally like to use bright feathers ..easier to find in the snow...i dont use flu flus because they can be tougher to sneak thru the brush at a bunny and are loud.... blunts and hex heads work great.....hope to see ya there!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
My favorite is the old Muzzy 125 grain 3 blade replaceable blade broadhead. Only difference is I use the practice blades instead, the practice blades have a much steeper angle and generally barely pass through but create severe trauma and shock.
Probably wouldn't use them if dogs were involved though.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
I think if you use the search function you might find enough reading material on this subject to last you about as long as it was for me reading "Shogun".....lol

Good luck with your research and your bunny hunt.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
I agree with Charlie, and I also agree with those who stress to refrain from using broadheads when hunting with beagles. I personally won't run my dog with bowhunters using broadheads, especially bowhunters with whom I'm not familiar. I've heard too many horror stories about beagles being accidentally hit to risk my dog's life on such things.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Flu flus would work but unless you are shooting them out of the air or trees (Ohio bunnies don't jump that high but I guess your mileage may vary), I'm not sure what the point would be.

Speaking of points - I really like Ace Hex Heads for bunnies (and stumps etc.).

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I took my rabbit hounds this year and hunted with a bow the first time.
 Met a couple of fine tradgangers that came down and hunted with me and we had a blast. I can roll'em all day long with the old double barrel but hittin them little furry boogers on the run with a bow is a whole other story. LOL

We all flung some arras but never hit none, came real close but no dice.

As far as heads I was using Judos and the other fellas were using some of those adders that go behind your blunt, they looked pretty good. Yesterday I bought two of those new fangled heads that montec makes I think there called g5's or something, they are a small game head but they look pretty nasty.

Far as worrying about hitting a hound, I run my dogs with bells on the collars so I can hear them and know where they are all the time. I think it makes them bunnies that are sitting real tight jump a little easier too. Just my theory I may be totally wrong but mainly cause I don't want to stick a hound or pepper one and it let's me and whoever is hunting over my dogs know they ain't bunnies. At least I aint never heard a bunnie jinglin LOL.
 All these other fellas got some great Ideas too I like the washer idea and the wingnut too.

Have fun it's a blast for sure.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
TBM had a very good article on this a month or so ago!  Guy used a fishing type arrow- heavy fiberglass with no fletching- it slips through the brush with no deflection with maximum blunt force.  Makes sense. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©