3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Caribow Peregrine or Black Widow PLV?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Caribow Peregrine or Black Widow PLV?
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Still busy with my search for a new longbow for 3D shooting. It looks like the Cari-bow Peregrine has it all. Still it is a tuff descision for me,especially because it is a LOT of money and I can't test-drive one since I live in The Netherlands.
What I read about the BW PL's is that they shoot fast and draw smooth too. I also read that the BW's ar build like a tank. But I think the Caribow craftmanship is also very good isn't it?

Decisions. decisions.....

Any Thoughts???
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Caribow Peregrine or Black Widow PLV?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Never shot a Cari-bow but i have a PSA X and its a great hunting bow and also great for 3-D shooting.

You just cant go wrong with a Widow, i own some very high end bows and my Widow is my go to bow.

I dry fired it this fall by accident and it jumped out of my hands and landed on the bottom limb tip and bounced off a 15ft porch onto a pile of gravels.

I almost threw up on the spot when i was walking down the stairs to retrieve my new bow.

There wasnt a scratch on the bow and it still shoots darts. The finish they put on there bows must be the best out there, just my 2 cents.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
i sold my Blackwidows.  i love my Peregrine which i still have.  You couldn't go wrong with either one. Customer service with each company is excellent..more options available with the Cari-bow.  Decisions, decisions.  Buy one of each and sell the one you don't like!  There you go!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
I don't have experience with the BW, but I do have with the Peregrine. I have a review at  www.peteward.com  in the trad review pages that may help.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
 Buy one of each and sell the one you don't like!  There you go!
You are a bad man Rastaman!  :help:   but thank you once again for thinking with me. I also think Abe offers a LOT more options... His woods and veneers are second to none.  I just saw his Pecky etimoe veneer it's awesome....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete W:
I don't have experience with the BW, but I do have with the Peregrine. I have a review at  www.peteward.com  in the trad review pages that may help.

Pete
Thank you Pete, I read it several times! Great review!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
mistake
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
To me they are very different bows.  In my hands the Peregrine was much smoother, faster, and dead in the hand.  It has a lighter feel with more or a light action in the limbs.  The BW was ok, but more beefy, heavier, and more rugged in the way it feels and shoots.  I had a lot more thumb in the hand with the BW, but could be the way they were tuned.  Very different looks and grips also.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Thnx extrema, smooth is very important for me, since I suffer from MS and my fingers hurt quickly. I need a smooth draw.
So you could say that the Peregrine is more "sophisticated" and faster? I know the Peregrine has the thumb-rest, so the grips will be totally different indeed. Still don't know how "ruggeddized" the pergrine is???
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
i don't baby any of my bows.  Mine has been known to "fall" out of my tree when i am ready to get down!  It is as rugged as any bow i have ever owned, and i've owned one or two.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I agree with the posts above.  Unless you plan to abuse it, I'd vote for the Peregrine.  Some of Abe's work is just amazing.

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
If it was my desicion, I'd opt for the Peregrine.. Seems to me there is always a couple of Widows on the classifieds, but seldom a Caribow. Which also makes it easier to pick up a suitable BW at any given time. People tend to cling to their Caribows..
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:57:00 AM »
A lot of votes for the Peregrine I see....
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
I dropped my Lonewolf onto my Cari-bow from 25 feet up in a tree. My bow was resting on a log so it had no "give" like it would on the soft earth. Gouged the limb but the bow still shot perfect. I'm not easy on equipment but the Cari-bow stood up to everything I threw at it.

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
BW Recurves are rearly smooth bows with a very good overall performance, but I think when it comes to LB there are many bows of other brands which are by far faster, smoother, whith less handshock and even cheaper.
Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Please dont rule out roberstson in your search for a longbow some of the best I have ever shot bar none.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Abe Penner craftmanship is second to none.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
im not a widow basher...shot my biggest deer with a widow, but, have you seen Abe's work up close? widows are nice. caribow's are works of art.  cant compare a cnc bow with sometihng that comes out of the hands of a master craftsman IMO.

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I don't own either bow but have shot both brands.  For me the Widow shoots excellent, but there is something extra special with the Caribows. Tough choice, good luck.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
I own them both. The Widow is easy to shoot, almost any arrow comes out of it very clean with little tuning. It is a PLV, next to the Peregrin it looks awfully plain. I know a lot of guys are strictly performance and not into looks at all.
The Peregrin is very tricked out with a lot of extras and a down right work of art. They are the same weight but the performance of the Peregrin is noticeably better, very smooth, and a little more finicky to tune but not bad either.
I have never chrono'd a bow and hope I never do but you can tell the difference.
With all that being said I like them both, good luck with a tough decision.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©