3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Post season scouting. Is it worth it?  (Read 619 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Post season scouting. Is it worth it?
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I've never done much post-season scouting.  I've read opinions that say it's very important and others that say it's not worth much.

Some say it's not worth much down South because the weather and foliage is so different in early vs. post season that the animals (mostly deer) are moving in very different patterns at those times.

So.  Is post season scouting indispensable or a waste of time?  If you're a 'scouter' what are you looking for?  Thx.

Offline Rollie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Post season scouting. Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I would have to say "for me" easily over 90% of my stand sights are completed by spring turkey season, but found during post season scouting using the previous years rub lines and rut sign. The other 10% or so hunted are usually based on available food sources at the present time. This seems to work for me.
i-am-n

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Ask Gene and Barry Wensel.....they are scouting for next year now.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
If you want to be ready for one the next year it should be a year round hunt.
YES, post season is one of the best. You do not have to worry about sent or scaring deer and can go right in the bedrooms to look around.

Tim

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Absolutely! Most of my Fall success is atributed to my Winter Scouting,as well as,my shed Hunting.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
wow I cant say I have ever even heard of it, but I suppose I do it without knowing it, while squirrel hunting?  This month of Feb we are still out and about, and if you can find deer now, you will do good in the fall!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
It can be very helpful, in areas with rough winters where deer yard up sometimes miles from their home turf not so much. Any time afield is good to help your woodsmanship skills and you may find a shed. Old runways show up well late in the year and that can help plans for next year if you mark them and look for stand sites or even make ground blinds now. Never hurts to go out and stump shoot and just say your scout'n...lol
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Just got back in from a scouting/rabbit hunting/shed hunting/stump shooting trip. I find it very useful to be able to see which deer use which trails.

The area I was out on is only about 280 acres I seem to learn something everytime I go out there.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
The area I hunt isn't all that big, so I have a pretty good idea where the deer are in the fall. Since it's along the river, high water can change things a bit in the spring, so scouting right now is not very productive. I do a lot of it during spring turkey season though.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
scouting is year round for me like now you can look for sheds and this will along with trail cam pics tell tou a  deers home range for the most part! im all the time watching trails and fields for new deer and the up comers ! for me this is the other part of the season!!  :archer:
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Yep!!!!
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Bare in mind, you are not scouting where the deer are now, you are looking for places where they were last year, knowing they will be back next fall.
There will be minor changes because of other influences such as favored food sources, but where they were last fall they will be this coming fall.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Yea our season ended jan. 1 and i went down last weekend and found a bunch of huge rubs in a place i didnt have a stand, guess what i have a lock-on in there now.

A month after the season to me is the best time to scout for next year. Its lets you know what bucks made it through the season is the best reason to do it.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
YES
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I do all of my prerut and rut scouting post season for next year and have done this for over 30 years and it work just fine for my way of hunting.Low impack hunting no scent left.WALK IN AND OUT TO YOUR STAND SITE ONLY WITH THE WIND,WINDS IN YOUR FAVOR WHILE THE.NO OTHER WALKING AROUND.NO SCENT.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
The deer around these parts don't spend winters where the spend early season, but you can scout anytime of the year.  Our deer tend to spend their winter's on the south-facing portions of the mountains here, and in the thick areas that provide browse and subsequent warmth.

In September they tend to seek out the windward slopes, and creek bottoms.  I like to take a few trips through my hunting area during spring and late summer, but try not to stink it up too much.
I don't hang stands so don't worry about sudden changes in habits...I can adapt to that.

We don't have big midwestern whitetails here, but our bucks are getting bigger.  You won't catch them (Pa. bucks) crossing fields in broad daylight unless they are pushed, so the best stands are fairly deep in the woods.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Unlike the old guy from Manns Choice, down here this is the time of year to get into the thickets and see what was happening during the rut.  It's the only time you can see more than 5 feet in front of you and the snakes are slowed down enough that you can dodge a bite. Our southern deer don't change much from spring to fall or even winter as our winters are pretty mild.

I learned quite a bit this weekend in the SNOW. That's right, we got 5" Friday night. Really helps see concentrations.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
There is no better time to locate deer trails, scrapes, rubs, possible stand locations, etc. than in early spring before greenup.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
We never quit scouting. This is the time of year that we really get into scouting. All those places you never wanted to walk during the season is now prime territory. We'll be cutting out future tree stands this time of year. I've been known to even hang a stand or two right now.   :bigsmyl:  Scrapes, rubs,etc. from this year are still there. Unless your under alot of snow.
But yes, get out now and scout.

Mike

C'mon Biggie, it doesn't snow in GEEEorgia.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
I don't scout until a month or so after general gun season.
The lease I hunt on allows dog hunting during gun season, I let everything "settle down" after the gun and dog hunters leave before I do any serious scouting.
Just my opinion, but I liken my woods to a big mixing bowl. During gun and dog season, it is really mixed and stirred up, I let everything slow and settle down and the game get back to a routine before I try to make sense of deer or hog movement or patterns. Just what my "mixed up mind" visualizes in the woods.
I may not be right but that is what I visualize happening the the woods when we hunters aren't around.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©