3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrgh this is frustrating! (shed hunting)  (Read 529 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrgh this is frustrating! (shed hunting)
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Hey guys, I went looking for sheds for a couple hours today. I walked all over the woods across from my house, (I jump deer out of beds everytime I go over there), and didn't find one shed. It's a reletively small area and I'm pretty sure I know where they are bedding down. I've been seein bucks with only one antler on they're head (mocking me) and I just don't get it. I'm either walking over them and not seeing them, or they're going some place I don't know about. Maybe the antler fairy is coming and taking them. Anyway, my question is, can any of yall give me some tips on looking for them? What to look for, where to look, etc? Thanks!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrgh this is frustrating! (shed hunting)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Don't get frustrated, you are looking for a needle in a hay stack.
If you think about how much area a deer covers in a week or two, then realize you are looking for about 3-4 sq feet in that area where his sheds are laying.
Bedding areas are good, as are feeding areas and any trail, especially where they might have to jump, (over a fence or up a bank) are good places.
Relax and enjoy it you'll find them when you are least expecting it.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Online Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
They are hard to find in the woods,look in hay or grass fields if there are any close.Look in the pines too.I look for anything white,and look for the points sticking up.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Throw some corn down into some wild rose or briar tickets. They'll go diggin' in there . Should help you find some.   :saywhat:   Find a food source. This time of year they stick close to food until it's gone.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm gonna go back out tonite and again tomorrow. This is the first year I've really hit the sheds hard. I saw a really nice 4 point this summer that I would love to have. Honestly though, I'd be happy with a spike, just to know that I finally found one...

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Don't forget to look off the ground. I've found a few in brush and in the trees. Squirrels?  
Hap

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
By the time you can find any in Pa., the squirrels and other rodents pretty much have them eaten.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Sorry but I put this on new topic.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
antler traps
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Jim Espinosa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
I always carry an antler with me when shed hunting and toss it ahead of me. This helps me train my eye for what to look for and also gives you a different view of the woods when you stoop down to pick yours up. I'm no expert but I've found a few this way.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
South facing slopes are good areas to start looking inside the woods. Also, slim fingers where a ridge begins to taper into a bottom are hotspots as well. Find a slim finger with southern exposure and you've stuck gold, at least in my area.

Shed hunting can feel like searching for a needle in a haystack but you'll develop a "feel" and start picking them up fairly regular. Good luck.

Offline Dan White

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
There is a gentleman in KC Missouri that according to the "Missouri Conservationist" magazine raises and trains dogs to find deer sheds. It sound too expensive for me, but $1500.00 for a started pup and $5000.00 for a trained dog.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
I start out by taking my dog for a hike,and he usually finds them for me,{oh yeah,and carcasses and other stinkers}.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Someone else may be combing it also.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
I read another thread on building antler traps, which I am going to try. Search on that here if you haven't read about them.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Went back out yesterday and all I found was a dead coon. Gonna try the trap idea. I like it. Havn't seen any with antlers still on but who knows, I could get lucky. Thanks guys.

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
found one the other day.  I was running rabbits with my beagles & they take this rabbit right over the stone wall right. Well I go over to see & get up on the wall for the return trip & there on top of the wall is a shed. It looks as though it was dragged up there by a squirel or something as it had chew marks all over it.  Not a large shed but really cool just lying up there.  Mike
Big Mike

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Just got in from a short hike with the dogs. Nothing. Snow is still too deep. I found a 155" 4point shed on Wednesday and my Lab found a small 2 pt. I don't get too serious until March. Some still carrying. Hang in there. I figure I have 3 hours walking for every one I find.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
I find mine by tripping over them in tall broam hay! I hardly ever find them when I am actualy looking for them. Just take your wife with you and tell her your not going shopping until she finds two or three! She will find them quicker then you can blink an eye! LOL
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I FOUND ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! I was on my way back today and notice the last 1-2" of the points sticking up out of the snow and leaves. It was a nice little three point. I saw it's owner today to, spooked him out when I was looking. Had the other antler still on his head.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©