3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What exactly is the Rancho Safari Shaggie Ghillie "Longcoat"?  (Read 366 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
What exactly is the Rancho Safari Shaggie Ghillie "Longcoat"?
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I've been drooling over ghillie suits lately, don't ask me why but I really want to try one this Spring Turkey season, so I've looked at several vendors and seems Rancho Safari has some great ones ready to go. Their website, I must say, is lacking. No big. I'm sure plenty of you guys have their ghillie jackets in some variation, hats, pants, etc, and could help me decide what's what and what works with a bow. I'd like to get an ample coat without an attached hood, possibly gaiters, and the Boonie Hood. Obviously trim down the bow arm and chest area to allow full draw.

Does anyone have their Shaggie Ghillie Longcoat, or any variations of it? Is the primary reason to get a longcoat to forego ghillie pants ?

Need some help here guys....
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What exactly is the Rancho Safari Shaggie Ghillie "Longcoat"?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
The longcoat is the way to go. I carry mine in a backpack and put it on at my stand site. Real easy. It comes down to just above the knees. Works great. Invisible!!! Watch the wind.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
I have the long shaggie coat and it works well for me. I believe the package comes with the boonie hat (mine did)?
      I have a swivel stool which I carry along.
   The long shaggie coat comes with tie straps built in, you roll it up fasten the straps throw it over your shoulder and you are mobile.
      They are well designed and with a little practice easy to shoot with it on.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Yep, had one and wish I had it back.  I tried a different brand ghillie and it wasn't made near as well as the Rancho Safari. The only downfall I had with the long coat was when I was stalking.  Out here I have to do quite a bit of crawling and I was always getting my knees caught up in the Longcoat.  Go with the boonie hood.  You can move your head better and it will turn when you do unlike a sewn-on hood.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
I LOVE mine! Got the whole kit, Longcoat,booniehood, facemask, and leg gaitors. I had 1 sneak up on me real close! Unfortuntaly it seen me move and I didnt see it before it was to late. Get the boonie hood instead of the attatched hood, it will work out alot better. If there would be ANY advice I would give you about a ghillie is...Shoot with it on, and have the scissors ready to trim what hangs in the way.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
OK. I'm wearing a size 40 reg suit these days. Should I get a M or L?

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
highpoint forge,

I am 6' and 190 pounds usually an XL (shirts and coats), I have the M and it is plenty roomy. I assume you are hunting in warmer weather being in Texas (less clothes under the suit)?
        I really hate to guess on size for someone else but that gives you an idea what works for me.
Big Thompson Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
I'm 40-50 lbs leaner than you and a hair shorter. The larger size might make you more of a "lump" but will your draw be hampered by a larger garment in this case? Does that make sense?

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I think the M would work fine for you.
  Not exactly sure about your meaning but the forearm just below the elbow has a strap to take it in a bit and the waist has a draw string as well. After trimming the suit I use an arm guard. I have never had a problem with the suit getting in my way. Practice with it on from all positions and be sure you have it trimmed in the right spots.
      It is the best solution I have found for hunting Meriams Turkeys here in the Mountains just not practical to use a blind.
Big Thompson Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
My understanding of the main difference between the medium and the large for someone your size is that the medium comes to just above your knees and the large comes down below your knees. At least that is what the dealer told me. You are about my size and so is he, so what he said relates directly to both of us. He said he prefers the large because he gets full coverage when sitting on a stand with the longer length and doesn't need the gaiters that catch on brush and thorny vines where he hunts. Many people choose the model with burlap strips added because it adds more bulk and breaks your outline better. The one with just the cotton strips is lighter weight, easier to pack and carry, and does not absorb much moisture if it is wet out. I like it better.

No camo clothing will replace good woodsmanship, so you have to get that right first. Another good alternative is the ASAT leafy camo suit. But if you are hunting turkeys in the spring when you are surrounded by green, the turkeys can see the brown and tan colors of the ASAT and will know you are out of place, where they can be fooled by the ghillie suit if you get the pattern that includes green. Most other animals don't see colors so the addition of green is not a factor.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
So 4 Season color is the one you are referring to?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©