3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whats the best deer carts?  (Read 520 times)

Offline k. sisco

• Trad Bowhunter
whats the best deer carts?
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Im thinking about getting a new deer cart and was wondering what are the best ones out there?
I want one that can handle at least 300 lbs.
And are they easy to carry deer out on or are they worth it?

Thanks,ken

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: whats the best deer carts?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I have had several; they work well in most situations. Couple warnings they will try to flip while traveling across hills to steep to pull straight up. The lower profiled ones are not as bad. The other thing is be careful pulling across limbs or logs, if one tire hits before the other it will bend the rims as the weight shifts.
PBS  Member

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
I like the ones with a 4-wheeler under them. lol
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
I love my ameristep non-typ.  Weighs less than 25#, collapses to a small back pack, easy to carry in, wheels are canted so it does not tip, weight is balanced on the axle so there is no strain except to pull it.  I have pulled out a few mature (200# dressed +) whitetails with it.  I think the bigger ones with 2-4 larger wheels have advantages too- but I sure like the portability of this thing.  Here are a couple from the past few years.

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
Where I hunt it's called a packframe.  

One of the funniest uses I ever saw for a deer cart was 3 young servicemen who pulled a decent caribou bull out of the tundra on one.  They only went about 1/2 mile and there was vegetation clear into the hub but they made it.

Offline JARHEAD1371

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:25:00 AM »
Cabelas Super Mag Hauler gets my vote. Here it is hauling out 3 mule deer almost 2 miles. It's heavy if you have to carry it, but otherwise it's great.

Active Duty Marines '96-'04 Medically Retired

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
Gave up on carts a few years back. I use a plastic snow sled, add a pull handle and a few ropes to secure your prize and your off. They don't tip, run you over, draw attention to your truck or cost over twenty dollars. They do float, fit between corn rows, work in mud and snow and make loading by yourself a lot easier

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
KSDan, that 1st pic is a LOAD of a deer!

Good thread...was always curious about these carts.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I own one, but it does not have the canted wheels.  If a cart is what you want, the canted wheels are the only way to go.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Jarhead - ++1.  Cabelas hauler!  H

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Depends on the country and how far back you are.  I had a two wheel cart I won at a dinner, but wound up buying a single wheel called the Carryall Buddy or something like that.  Far superior for brushy country, narrow trails, and sidehilling.  Contact info is at end of the following thread:
 http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=177311.   I found their phone number on the internet or called info for La Pine OR.  They went back into production as of last summer or fall.

If you google around you will find an elk hunting website that compared a set of carts.  They really liked a single wheel design with a low slung rigid frame made in Boulder, MT.  I wanted something that could fold up and go on a packframe.  The carryall actually slides below a cot I have in the back of my pickup.

Having said that, I often use a sled, a backpack, or meat bags slung over a mountain bike.  Just depends where and when I'm hunting.  That Carryall is a well-made and thoughtfully designed product, though.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
The best cart I found was a teenager who wants to make a buck...LOL or a light weight frame with solid tires.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by GR:
Gave up on carts a few years back. I use a plastic snow sled, add a pull handle and a few ropes to secure your prize and your off. They don't tip, run you over, draw attention to your truck or cost over twenty dollars. They do float, fit between corn rows, work in mud and snow and make loading by yourself a lot easier
Someone actually makes a draggin sled that is pretty heavy duty plastic and rolls up.  I either lost mine in a move or loaned it and never got it back, but it was the most efficient way of getting a deer out of the woods I've ever used......other than being able to drive right up to it.

Maybe it was Cabelas....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
I like using body bags for  that I get at work(Medical examiners office) as well,They are easy and they don't snag on twigs and you don't get blood in your truck!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
If you are hunting around woods roads of any kind and on fairly flat land a bike is as good as any I've used. Hard part is standing it up after loaded. Almost couldn't stand this old sow up by myself. Once up all you do is walk along side it and keep it rolling straight up.

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Ipcjon2,
Great idea, but I guess you have to make really sure to bring the right one home! LOL
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
I picked up this one from Cabelas a couple years ago in the bargain cave for well under $100.  I like the double wheels.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
I use two carts.  One is now made by Ameristep, I believe it is still called "Non Typical" though.  It collapses and can be packed in on your back.  It is handy for hard to get to areas and I also use it when I take my canoe.

I also use a Cabela's "Mag Hauler".  I see someone else mentioned it already.  It is a great cart, heavy duty. I keep it in the truck all season.  Comes in handy for removing treestands and equipement from the timber also.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
I had a "ole man" cart (now it is the versacart) that was great!  The wheels were solid (no going flat) and angled (no tipping over when going over logs).  The "cradle area" was V shaped so it was easy to load a deer into.  I once used it to get a old, big headed doe out of a cutdown by myself.  It made a hard job a lot easier.  I really liked it alot.  I hope the guy who stole it from me has enjoyed it as much as I did.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I've had several.  For use in the country I frequent:

1) The bigger the tires the better.
2) Get one with a cross-bar handle (like the Cabelas Super Mag Hauler) not with handles oriented parallel to the long axis like the one I now have.
3) Get one of the 500 pound capacity jobs... I tear them up, so the lighter ones just won't do.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©