3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: footings and penetration  (Read 313 times)

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
footings and penetration
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
I have these carbons (GT5575s)that I have put aluminum footings on, use them for stumps and targets and such. I notice the footings seem to limit penetration into foam targets a bit, even though I beveled the edges. And when I pull them out of bag targets, I can feel the edge of the footing pop through as it comes out.
So I am wondering how these would affect penetration if I use the same arrows for hunting? Seems like hide and muscle might drag on the edge of the footing and slow things down? Or does the cut of the broadhead ease it enough it doesn't matter? Who uses footings on their hunting arrows?

Offline yononindo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: footings and penetration
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by boznarras:

? Who uses footings on their hunting arrows?
Here we go ...

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=084835

Happy hunting,

Daniel
Daniel

Happy Trails

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 03:27:00 AM »
I used to put alloy footing on wood so I could shoot the insert/screw on broadheads I was using back then.
I noticed exactly the same things on targets as you say,but didn't see any differance in penetration on animals.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Good question.  I am getting ready to build a new set and was thinking about footing them all, but was wondering the same thing.  :campfire:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
As long as the diameter of the shaft is not greater than the diameter of the broadhead ferrule you should not have any problems with penetration in game. Targets are different unless you shoot your broadheads for target practice.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©